VW Passat 2001 2 Litre Petrol - philip
Car has 80000 miles on it in the last 18 months the emmission control light has come up on the dashboard and stays steady ,engine runs normally .Emmisions are ok, just passed MOT ,Fault codes dont through any light on the problem .It has been reset three times by VW and the light comes up 18 days after the reset on every occasion,emisssions have been checked and all ok .Any solutions please

VW Passat 2001 2 Litre Petrol - Alec
Can you post the fault codes here ?
VW Passat 2001 2 Litre Petrol - Halmer
There is/was a common problem with the brake light switch that causes/caused this on Passats. Your story is similar to mine.
VW Passat 2001 2 Litre Petrol - Halmer
...............at least I think that it was that warning light.............
Hi

Thank you for replying the fault codes are 17978 P1570 035 Engine control unit disabled sporadic 16804 P0420 035 catalyst System bank 1efficiency below threshold 16502 P0118 035 engine coolant temperature circuit high sporadic

thank very much

philip
17978 P1570 035 - Immobiliser prevented engine start. You may have used the wrong key or the reader in the area of the column lock is flaky.
16804 P0420 035 - The 02 sensor or the CAT is on the way out. You will need diagnostic equipement, like VAGCOM, to determine which.
16502 P0118 035 - The ECT sensor is faulty. Common problem and a cheap and easy DIY fix. It is the 4-wire sensor ar the back of the cylinder head.

rgds

VW Passat 2001 2 Litre Petrol - Collos25
If Alec can come up with such detailed information why couldn't the VAG agent I think I would be changing agents or asking the question why are you so useless.
This is a useful reference :
www.passatworld.com/forums/
VW Passat 2001 2 Litre Petrol - Hamsafar
Philip, they're probably using euphenisms to stop you understanding what the faults are and finxing it yourself!
Hi again

Thanks for the advice I take it after the fix the light will not go out until reset by a VAG garage or someone with the right diagnostic computer!

Philip
VW Passat 2001 2litre Petrol - philip

Message for Alec, thanks for your help but one last question
I take it after the fix , the light will not go out until
reset by a VAG garage or someone with the right diagnostic computer!

Philip

{Moves to original thread as it's related - DD}

VW Passat 2001 2litre Petrol - Alec
I don't know. Maybe it will go off after a number of starts.....but if you have posted here, perhaps it has not ?
Maybe you can check the passat forum, in the european bit and find someone near you who will reset it.