E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - barchettaman
Mrs Barchetta, having made me get rid of one pride and joy, now wants rid of the Astra. She´s fed up with driving a RHD in Germany - fair enough I guess.
Flogging the Barchetta has released a bit of cash for the next purchase.
Having looked at the V70, they seem in demand and a bit overpriced TBH. So, despite SjB´s glowing recommendations it is unlikely we will go for this handsome beast.
So it could be dream car time - always a fun moment.

I´ve hankered for ages after an E39 Estate, and really like big diesels too. We don´t *really* do the mileage to warrant a diesel, but this isn´t neccesarily a fully rational purchase. The E39 has the advantage that there are a huge amount of them around, at really good prices - we could even afford to buy from a BMW dealer, which might give us a wee bit more backup if something goes wrong.

Mrs Barchetta´s main requirements are ´leather seats and not plasticky´.

At the very top of our limit is the 530d - the 193bhp engine I think.
But for a lot less cash, we have a choice of younger and less leggy 525d´s.
Upsolute will chip the 525d to....exactly 193bhp, with the same torgue as the bigger engine too!
Am I right in thinking the 525d is a less complex engine, with ultimately less bits (i.e. complex common-rail) to go wrong over time? Is it rougher than the 530d?

Any thoughts before we go testing would be gratefully received.

BTW we are *not* going to get a Mondeo - unless it´s the 2.2 titanium thingy, and they´re in short supply.
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - cheddar
The 525d is 163bhp and the 530d 183bhp and a lot more torque, I would guess that a chipped 525d is likely to feel less relaxed than a 530d. IIRC the engine, turbo and injection systems are the same.

I would look for a 530d at the right price and chip that if you want to, it is likely to be better speced and retain it's value better. On the other hand Autocar say of the E60:

"Losing half a litre in capacity over the 530d hasn?t made this car a poor relation. In fact, just as BMW?s petrol 2.5 six is sweeter than the brawnier 3.0-litre version, so the smaller diesel unit also has the edge in refinement. It lacks the hushed serenity of Jaguar?s new S-type diesel, but the 525d?s dry, dark rasp is a satisfyingly sporting soundtrack."

>>unless it´s the 2.2 titanium thingy>>

A 2.2 Titanium X or Ghia X would give you loads of space, all the bell and whistles (full leather in the latter), and more torque than an E39 525d.
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - CJay{P}
The 525d is 163bhp and the 530d 183bhp and a lot
more torque, I would guess that a chipped 525d is likely
to feel less relaxed than a 530d. IIRC the engine, turbo
and injection systems are the same.

525d = 2497cc
530d = 2926cc

No, they are not the same engine.
525d = 2497cc
530d = 2926cc
No, they are not the same engine.

I know that they are not the same capacity!

I meant that they are the same basic unit with the same injection system etc to answer Barchetta's point: "Am I right in thinking the 525d is a less complex engine, with ultimately less bits".
Yep, you worked that one out Cheddar.
Is the 530 a bored out 525?
Yep, you worked that one out Cheddar.
Is the 530 a bored out 525?

Not sure about bore and stroke etc without researching futher though they are the same basic unit. Assuming they are based on the older 525tds (may be a wrong assumption) then perhaps the 2.5 came first, on the otherhand if the engine was all new when the 530d was launched then perhaps the 3.0 came first and the 525d is based on the 530d as opposed to the other way around.
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - Chad.R
IIRC the 530d was all new and not related to the old 525tds. And I'm sure the '30d arrived first, so I presume the '25d was a derivative, on the continent there was 740d available too at the time that the 530d came out.
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - Shaz {p}
I'am tempted with the 530d myself - the facelifted E39.
The only thing putting me off is the turbo issues with the BMW diesels. I know it has something to do with intergalactic oil changes , but the BMW diesels do seem more affected then other makes.

Wouldn't mind a 530d manual sport myself - but difficult to find - they do seem pricey. The higher mileage ones seem to need new bushes / suspension bits - which when replaced add quite a bit to the cost.

The 184 hp pre facelift cars a cheap though.

Can't decide between a four / five year old 530d or a newer ST Tdci mondeo or a 7 seater galaxy !
Wouldn't mind something sporty - just the practicality puts me off.

I'am all over the place I know!
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - Altea Ego
Well frankly I think you are barching mad. How can you step from a barchetta into a BMW behemoth,

Surely a step into a Alfa 156 sportwagon is the natural choice to ease the cold turkey?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - Shaz {p}
Thats the other one I'am torn over - would really love one of these. Especially the 150 or the 175 hp ones. The 200hp is too new (as in out of my budget).
Damn...
The 156 is a bit too small. Had one as a replacement for the B when it was in the bodyshop, and was a bit underwhelmed.
Plus Mrs B is going native over here and wants a Beemer.
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - Pugugly {P}
330d touring personally - the 530d touring is a very large barge.
330d touring personally - the 530d touring is a very large
barge.

I would agree with that.
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - MichaelR
Well frankly I think you are barching mad. How can you
step from a barchetta into a BMW behemoth,
Surely a step into a Alfa 156 sportwagon is the natural
choice to ease the cold turkey?

Quite easily given the E39 5 Series is a stunning car and is far more nimble to drive than its size would suggest.

The only time I would ever chose an Alfa over one - lets face it, it's not even half the car - is if, well... I wouldn't, actually.
.....330d touring....

We´ve got the garage space for the 5, and I´m inclined to go for the bigger car - babies, buggies and all that.
Plus the suspension issues with the 3-series have received a lot of unfavourable press here in Germany.

Has anyone driven both variants (525d/530d)? Is the 525 noticeably rougher/less refined?
According to the info I posted above the 525d is more refined however chipping may adversley effect that.
E39 525d v 530d...any thoughts? - Bagpuss
I have driven various E39 5 series as rental cars, including the 525d and 530d, both as automatics. I don't remember any difference in refinement if what you mean is engine noise. However, I did notice the power difference. After the 530d, the 525d felt a bit lethargic if not exactly underpowered. Also the turbo lag was more noticable on the 525d. Interestingly both achieved almost identical fuel consumption (according to the trip computer) - around 8l/100km. Incidentally an E39 530i which I drove (also automatic) averaged around 10.5l/100km and was obviously even quieter (subjectively) than either of the diesels.
If it was my choice I would get the 530i as I don't do much private mileage and I think it's the nicer car though the 530d would not be bad as a second choice. I don't see any advantage for the 525d other than potentially lower purchase price and, in Germany, marginally lower road tax.
In terms of the 525d having a less complex engine than the 530d, I don't think this is the case. Both are highly developed common rail diesel units with all that entails in terms of complexity.
Cheers for the advice Bagpuss.