Illegal vehicles - Collos25
Report in the Daily Mail today says after a Police road stop blitz 1 in 3 vehicles should not have been on the road for varying reasons.The figures showed a dramatic increase from the last check.Frightening
Illegal vehicles - Hamsafar
I can beleive it.
Illegal vehicles - teabelly
The dramatic increase is due to the inclusion of MOT irregularities. Had they used the same checks as last time ie when they did it in 2004 then the percentage with one thing wrong would be smaller. The wrong things include incorrect keeper details, illegal number plates, insurance iffy. One thing that did stand out was that incorrect registration details were very likely to be when the driver was male and the car was under a year old. This sounds like there is some mix up with pre-reg or lease cars going on. Around 7% of those cars stopped had a serious irregularity.

I've read the entire report which is how I know!
teabelly
Illegal vehicles - Robin Reliant
Were the stops completely random, or were the police targeting vehicles they were suspicious of? The latter would distort the statistics somewhat, and the press much prefer a big 1 - in - 3 headline to any boring old facts.
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
Illegal vehicles - teabelly
I'm not entirely sure. There were a lot of stop sites. I'd imagine they would target certain types of vehicles as being more likely to be suspect. Without knowing the exact proportion of every age group of vehicles on the road it is hard to tell . There were breakdowns in the report and they did seem to have more of the older cars.

The headline figures do make worrying reading. Especially as 12.5% of people stopped were listed as having no insurance when they actually did. The insurance database is clearly not as effective as they claim. What is then worse is the report then claims that the insurance details are 99% accurate when they clearly aren't! If they bring in automatic fines for no insurance then there are going to be a load of cheesed off people as they have insurance but aren't listed.
teabelly
Illegal vehicles - Pugugly {P}
I would strongly suspect that ANPR intel led Policing creeps into the stats, even non-Traffic cars in our area are sprouting ANPR cams. The technology is pretty cheap now, I'm given to understand that a camera/software/laptop link is around 2.5k, this is the type that depends on a CD-ROM rather than live intel.