End of Life Vehicles - Cliff Pope
Under new European rules it seems that in future only licensed dismantlers will be permitted to scrap old cars.
At the moment, anyone can scrap a car. I have sometimes aquired a car as a source of spares, kept it for a few years (on SORN) gradually removing bits, then finally taken off anything remaining of possible use, and got a scrap man to remove the carcass.
The exact moment at which a car is scrapped for DVLA purposes is only the moment when one decides the car is never going to be put back into use. It is not necessarily the point at which the car is physically dismantled. A car can be in bits, but still on SORN.

So in future there are going to be a lot of non-existent cars still held on SORN, because it will be easier to do that than go through the route of getting it officially dismantled, doubtless at some expense.

Is there anything in the regulations defining a moment when a car can no longer be considered as SORNed - eg when a certain % of its components have been removed and canibalised?
End of Life Vehicles - Roly93
I think these rules are adding to the number of abandoned vehicles around the country lanes of our area..So not good.
End of Life Vehicles - Chad.R
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about cars for old people ......

Oh well, its been a long day already and it's not even 3pm!
End of Life Vehicles - Falkirk Bairn
I have sometimes acquired a car as a source of spares, kept it for
a few years (on SORN) gradually removing bits, then finally
taken off anything remaining of possible use, and got a scrap
man to remove the carcass.

Thank goodness I do not live next door to a you & your scrapyard
End of Life Vehicles - mss1tw
Thank goodness I do not live next door to a you
& your scrapyard

Bet he's jealous of your instant ability to apprise a situation without ever having expereinced it, as well as your spotless street.
End of Life Vehicles - George Porge
Bet he's jealous of your instant ability to apprise a situation
without ever having expereinced it, as well as your spotless street.

He'd need a big fence if he lived next door to me ;-0
End of Life Vehicles - Lud
Would that be to stop you chucking your own rubbish into his property, Dox?
End of Life Vehicles - George Porge
Would that be to stop you chucking your own rubbish into
his property, Dox?

It'd stop him looking at what I've got in my garden, what are you infering?
End of Life Vehicles - mike hannon
Excuse me being cynical on this one. I won't be holding my breath until all the French with three or four generations of former pride and joys rusting away at the bottom of the garden start disinterring them to take them to the scrappy, just because Brussels says they should.
I've even picked out a nice shady spot at the end of my own garden to lay my old Accord to rest - but the d*mn thing won't die!
End of Life Vehicles - Xileno {P}
Sounds like another daft idea thought up by some bureaucrat who clearly hasn't got enough work to keep him/her self busy. I guess it will also put an end to the 'Rusting in Peace' articles in Classic Car magazine.
End of Life Vehicles - Hugo {P}
At what point is the car "scrapped"?

I dismantled a Fiat Regata several years ago and a chap came and removed the bodyshell with a couple of doors left on it. Surely the only time the ELV directive would come in is when it is received at the scrap yard. At this point the paperwork is processed and the car is then effectively scrapped. The only difference is that he would have to do very little work to the car to dismantle it, as it had been 90% dismantled.
Surely it's scrapped when you fill in the form and report it to DVLA? The car may have been physically scrapped, as in taken apart and its bits largely disposed of, years earlier. Alternatively, a car might be legally scrapped, but lots of bits kept for spares. If the shell is subsequently taken to the scrappy there won't be any paperwork, because the car has legally ceased to exist.
It's a bit like the difference between brain death and heart stopping, but with a time separation of possibly 5 years.
End of Life Vehicles - Round The Bend
Just saw the thread subject and thought this was going to be a discussion on the Daewoo Matiz!

_______
IanS
End of Life Vehicles - Dalglish
Under new European rules it seems that in future only licensed dismantlers will be permitted to scrap old cars

>>

i thought these rules were already in place. thier main thrust is that the car owner is able to get his/her car scrapped without charge. e.g.

www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/InformationSheets...m
What does the law say?
The European Union End-of Life Vehicles (ELV) Directive
The End-of-Life Vehicles Directive (2000/53/EC) came into force on 21 October 2000 and Member States should have enacted legislation to comply with the Directive by 21 April 2002. The Directive will require EU Member States (including the UK) to:
Ensure that all ELVs are only treated by authorised dismantlers
Provide free take-back of all ELVs for new vehicles put on the market after 2002; from 2007 provide free take-back for all vehicles including those put on market before 2002
Restrict the use of heavy metals in vehicles from July 2003
Ensure that a minimum of 85% of vehicles are reused or recovered (including energy recovery) and at least 80% must be reused or recycled from 2006, increasing to a 95% reused or recovered (including energy recovery) and 85% reused or recycled by 2015

from another similar source:
At the moment, under the EU Directive 2000/53/EC, vehicle manufacturers will acceptvehicles produced after 2002 into their free take-back schemes. After 2007 themanufacturers become responsible for dealing with the collection and disposal of all thevehicles they have produced. It is intended that you will be able to deliver your scrap vehicles to an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) for free disposal.
Vehicles in urban areas will need to be delivered to an ATF within a 10-mile area, extending to 30miles in rural areas. If you live in an area outside the 30-mile radius of the nearest collection point,the manufacturers must have a plan in place to collect these vehicles .....

>>
Ensure that all ELVs are only treated by authorised dismantlers

To take a real example:

I have two spare cars of the same model as my everyday one. One is in running order, and held on SORN. The other is totally dismantled, but I still have the body panels, doors, interior, engine, gearbox, axles, steering, etc. It is still held on SORN, although nearly a year ago I finally cut up the remains of the shell and sold them to a scrap man. The car could legally still be reconstructed and put back on the road, and probably sufficient of the original parts still exist to clock up the required score to use the original registration number. I am less and less likely to ever do that however.

I also have another collection of similar parts, extracted from a car that I did legally ?scrap? ? ie I filled in the box on the V5 and sent it to Swansea. That car is now legally dead, although in a similar condition to the SORNed car.

My question really was, do these regulations mean that I cannot convert the SORNed car to scrapped status, because a) I am only an amateur car enthusiast, not a registered ELV dismantler and b) I haven?t actually got a car to take to a registered dismantler, because the bits have already been dispersed, or are doing service on a running car?
Does the car have to stay forever SORNed, like a dead soul in limbo?

The above picture must be pretty familiar to lots of old car enthusiasts.
Does the car have to stay forever SORNed, like a dead
soul in limbo?

Very poetic. :o)
End of Life Vehicles - Dwight Van Driver
Interesting post Cliff and it seems all in the mind. Why:

The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002

Where a vehicle is destroyed or sent permanently out of -
(a) Great Britain; or
(b) Northern Ireland,

the registered keeper shall immediately notify the Secretary of State of the fact and, at the same time, surrender the registration document to him.

Destroyed is not defined under the Regs so OED applies?
- demolished, made useless.

Under SORN (Schedule 4) one has to make declaration which is defined as:
the required declaration" means a declaration made to the Secretary of State by a person surrendering a vehicle licence or

the keeper of a relevant vehicle to the effect that (except for use under a trade licence) he DOES NOT FOR THE TIME BEING INTEND use or keep the vehicle on a public road and will not use or keep the vehicle on a public road without first taking out a vehicle licence (or if appropriate a nil licence) for the vehicle;

At what point you decide not for the time being you do not intend to ever use again would appear to be the point and when in a useless state you have to notify DVLA it is scrapped and send in V5.

A more fully and correct interpretation should come from DVLA.

You flogging scrap?
Registered as a Scrap Metal dealer, cough, cough?........ I haven't looked.

dvd
End of Life Vehicles - Lud
>> Does the car have to stay forever SORNed, like a
dead
>> soul in limbo?
Very poetic. :o)

'Unfortunately, SWMBO
My rusty sports car scorned.
So, like a dead soul in limbo,
It remains forever SORNed.'
>> >>
'Unfortunately, SWMBO

Brilliant
End of Life Vehicles - Bromptonaut
I don't see how this will stop anyone dismantling a car for spares as enthusiasts etc do. There are planning and other provisions to deal with unsightly dumps, as used against the guy with a collection of Trabants.

The reference to authorised dismantlers is surely meant to ensure that states put laws in place to regulate those scrapping cars for profit.
'Unfortunately, SWMBO

If only that was sig sized... :^D 10/10