Mystery Shopping - T Lucas
A friend of mine works for a VW outlet in the midlands in the sales dept.He was telling me about a new initiative from VW where they will record the encounter either with video or if its a phone call on tape.
My question is,how legal is this?to record all of this without permission.I know if it was me i certainly would not like it.
Mystery Shopping - Altea Ego
It is not legal without your permision under the data protection act.

Which is why all calls to companies are normally auto answered first with a "this call is being recorded for blah reasons, if you do not want this to happen please inform the person you are calling"

There will be a sign up saying "this blah is being video'd for blah reasons, if you dont want this to happen blah"

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mystery Shopping - Hamsafar
It is legal in my opinion, as one of the parties gives consent.
That's why Beadles about etc... is legal.
Data protection act requires you to register what information you keep about an individual, so you just register "opinions, actual or precieved, appearence" etc...
Mystery Shopping - daveyjp
If he was telling you he knows about it so no problem. No different to call centre staff who know their conversations with customers are being recorded.
Mystery Shopping - bignick
Nearly all manufacturers do this. Permission for it is usually tucked away in the small print of employees contract of employment. Never seen the point myself - in 25 years of working in parts departments I have been mystery shopped dozens of times and the things they are looking for are the meaningless stuff - never actually seem to check whether the information given is correct just that the call is handled according to the "script"

I would assume that getting the correct part is the important thing, not whether the person introduces themselves correctly and follows the "upsell" procedures but the concerns of the mystery shop exercise always seem to concentrate on what I always regard as the despised "Have a nice day" culture.
Mystery Shopping - Bill Payer
Mystery Shopping - Micky
"> but the concerns of the mystery shop exercise always seem to concentrate on what I always regard as the despised "Have a nice day" culture.<"

Yes! The "Have a nice day" culture" is to be despised. I have paid money for the Fawlty experience.

I only trust one local garage, the incumbent Brit car mechanic is a study in contrariness, but his skills and repartee are unmatchable. And what good company!!
Mystery Shopping - Chas{P}
I used to do it now and again in my last job wired up with a pinhole camera in my tie.

Shopped dozens of service departments for a vehicle manufacturer and only one, ever, did a great job. All the rest were just a comedy of errors.

Legality, unless legislation has changed, I was assured it was OK as long as the owners of the business were aware it could happen.

However, these days wandering around a city wired for sound and vision you could be accused of being a suicide bomber with 12v sealed lead acid batteries in your jacket, etc.

--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
Mystery Shopping - Bill Payer
Shopped dozens of service departments for a vehicle manufacturer and only one, ever, did a great job. All the

>> rest were just a comedy of errors.

This never ceases to amaze me - surely all manufacturers must use mystery shoppers and, judging by my own experiences, and those often mention on here, the results must be horrendous? My daughter did a couple of Saturday jobs in retail and the monthy mystery shopper report was a *huge* deal for the store manager.
Mystery Shopping - Number_Cruncher
>>Shopped dozens of service departments for a vehicle manufacturer and only one, ever, did a great job. All the rest were just a comedy of errors.

This comes as no surprise to me. Anyone who is any good can get better pay and conditions outside the retail motor trade. There are some who really do the job because they love cars - but not many!!

This weekend I had a chat with one of the few enthusiastic dealer mechanics that I know. He currently feels let down by poor workshop management, and after nearly 20 years in the job is finally looking to get out. As he is the only one in the dealer who knows how to code ECUs, and who knows *anything* about CAN-BUS, they will really struggle without him - his computer skills will mean he can easily get better`work.

Number_Cruncher