Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Mr.Tee.43
Came across this video of a bike accident on a biking website and thought it might be of interest
to the bikers on here and the non bikers.

It shows in no uncertain terms how vunerable us two wheel riders are in an accident.

Luckily the rider was not badly injured,but shocking all the same.

You can watch the video by scrolling to the bottom of the report.

Apologies if you have already seen it.

tinyurl.co.uk/bfuq
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - GregSwain
That pretty much sums up why I don't ride a motorbike.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Lud
Me too. It's very difficult to see what's happened though. Has the bike just overtaken matey in the silver Audi, spotted plod in the layby and slammed on his anchors? Or is silver Audi a maniac untertaking everyone down the slow lane despite the presence of plod and the bike? I can't tell.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Dynamic Dave
It was mentioned in one of the national tabloids (yesterday I think) couldn't find anything at the time about it via google though.
Actually it doesn't look much like an Audi. Not sure what it is. Reading the story, nothing is said about responsibility for the incident although the biker is described as having 'done everything right'. Do we assume then that the driver who rammed him has been run in, but has allowed his image to be used on the understanding that his name doesn't get in the paper?

I think we should be told. But I don't much care if we aren't.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - pmh
If you read the text of the report...

Police are not investigating the incident any further. Pc Ian Tanner, of Plympton traffic police, said: ?Mr Hortop is lucky to be alive after this incident. He is an experienced motorcyclist who did everything right ? and this shows how important it is to wear the proper kit.?

So are they they saying it was the motorcyclists fault?????
--

pmh (was peter)

Bike Accident caught on Police Video - PST
Good job he was a member of IAM....by the way, how does that work? You give your statement to the police from your hospital bed "I was riding along the A38, in accordance with IAM guidelines, when I was struck by a motor ve-hicle"....does it appear on your licence or anything?

I bet he was doing a wheelie in lane 2, saw the police, lost it when the front wheel came down and bosh...

Anyway, sarcastic mode off....glad he's not too badly hurt and vaguely interesting as to how the car driver wasn't "investigated further"...
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - madf
Watching and pausing, the motorcyclist slowed from the outside lane and cut in front of the silver car, going about 10 feet from the bonnet when he started the move and braking .. silver car driver had just time to brake as cyclist hit his front nearside wing.!

His fault. clearly.
madf
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Hamsafar
Interesting video!
The silver estate that hits the bike may also have been moving to the left at the same time as the bike, the brakes, then hazzards of the silver estate are on as it hits the bike, but these may have been turned on by brake assist or crash sensors.
The bike appears to cut across in front of the silver car to pull onto the layby, and may have anticipated the silver car would give him more room, as the silver car seems late reacting.
The bike left signal can be seen in one frame, as well as the left side repeater indicator of the silver car before the rear lights have entered the picture. Hard to find the cause from the video.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - daveyjp
"Mr Hortop had been pulling into the hard shoulder after spotting an incident on the opposite carriageway which he thought he should tell the police "

So he saw the police on the layby, cut across a car and slammed on whilst still on the carriageway to get into the layby before it ran out. Hardly IAM standards.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Dalglish
The bike appears to cut across in front of the silver car to pull onto the layby

>>

as i see it - this is the sequence.

1. white hatchback moves out from layby in to fast moving traffic, and is accelerating away.
2. red estate/hatchback is gaining on it and is braking to allow the white car from 1 to speed up.
3. motorcyclist also hits the brakes immediately after semingly overtaking (the silver car that hits him )- either because he has just seen the police car or has seen the brake lights of the red car in front or has left it a bit late to pull in to the layby.
4. motorcyslict's braking is too sudden and is too efficient - such that the silver car behind has no chance to take evasive action, even though at the point the silver car appears in the frame, it is already showing its brake lights!

Bike Accident caught on Police Video - R75
Not sure about fault or about how you came to the conclusion that the bike came from lane 2 to lane 1,madf, from what I can see as I went through it frame by frame, the bike was slowing down but was well over to the right of lane 1, poor road position if you ask me, and yes I do hold a bike license and road one as a sole means of transport for a couple of years (YZF600R)
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Martin Devon
Road one?
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - cheddar
Reckon the bike and silver estate car had both moved to lane two when the Polo pulled out, the Clio in front of them had not moved to lane two though had slowed to allow the Polo out, the bike while moving back into lane one and indicating slowed because of the Clio though the silver estate (307 SW?) did not anticipate the bike slowing at all, it could be that the rider simply rolled off the throttle in a low gear which would offer a lot of engine braking with no brake light showing though he was indicating.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Altea Ego
The bike is braking quite hard, the forks are down and he is moving to the left.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
IN fact the bike is braking so hard the rider has gone into upright weight back mode to keep the rear down,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - hxj

Well the rider says that he was pulling into the parking, and travelling at 20mph.

He is clearly braking and moving from the right to left in first few frames.

Personally I think that he was in lane 2 overtaking the car, pulled across and simply lost so much speed so quickly that the car had nowhere to go.

Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Fullchat
Your all lucky, I click on the link and nowt happens! Maybe just as well as I'm a born again biker.
--
Fullchat
So it was the biker's fault (I yield to the perceptions of bikers among you).

That being the case, why did plod say he 'did everything right'? Something to do with the IAM?

Was the silver car driver able to sue this idiot for damage? I would think not, having run into the back of a motorbike six inches from plod's ear. Bang to rights, and I mean bang. 'Knock for knock'.

What a goddam swizz.

Bet he never tries that again. But what about silver car's front end?
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - cheddar
So it was the biker's fault (I yield to the perceptions
of bikers among you).

From what we can see, no, though we dont have the full picture, 3 or 4 secs more footage of the silver car and bike would tell a lot.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - R75
Road one?

Even a perfectionist such as myself has the odd moment!!!!!!! But thanks for pointing it out ;oP
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Pugugly {P}
Well TU he definately "roaded" it !

Difficult to judge but the marked up Police car was a contributary to the mess.

Re: the IAM It's routine in some Police areas to question motorcyclists about their experinece in the course of investigations as some sort of research into why peopole end up on their books.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - yorkiebar
if police are not taking further action against either driver it sort of suggests the car didn't have much choice but to hit him, maybe because the bike pulled up too quick, cut in too quick etc but if that was the case and I was the car driver i would be chasing for more action to support my claim.

Likewise if I was biker and wasn't judged to be at fault I would want action against car driver to support my claim.

But from what I saw i do think it appears to be biker at fault, and just shows how exposed bikers are, at what, if was 2 cars, would be not much more than a shunt.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - mare
I must be thick. I've never ridden a motorbike either.

All i see is a silver estate going into the back of the bike. I really struggle to see how you can tell that he's gone right to left and cut the car up.

That's academic though, thankfully the guy's alright.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Craig_1969
Interesting thread thanks OP. I have ridden about 100k miles on bikes, mainly for commuting. I passed my test in 86 when the roads were quieter and passing the test was easy, unlike today. I rode my 125cc bike on my 17th birthday, and looking back now can never understand why my dad let me have bikes.

I would never have another bike for everyday riding now. An advanced instructor was tboned by a local driver in Leighton Buzzard and killed outright. The other day a police advanced rider was taking a refresher course on marked bikes, and he was hit by a lorry emerging from a junction and was lucky to survive. I have seen reports of too many excellent riders killed or injured over the years, not to mention the perils of diesel and wet leaves. Road riding makes riding on a track seem very safe.

As another forum user commented this accident shows how vunerable you are on a bike even for simple accidents.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Robin Reliant
As Tommo posted on here some time ago, you never hear anyone say "I'll never drive again, I read about someone being killed in a car crash".

All but a tiny percentage of people who ride bikes will survive to a ripe old age without trauma.
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - GregSwain
True enough - but it all depends on the protective clothing being worn. I remember one day when I was a radiography student, there were 2 motorbike accidents within hours of each other, and they both occured due to the rider hitting the side of a car that pulled out without looking.

One bloke was a "proper" biker, who was wearing full leathers, including gloves, and big hefty boots. His only injury was a broken leg where the bike had landed on him (no cuts, scratches or anything else). The second bloke was riding wearing jeans and a t-shirt. He'd successfully mangled one arm, and had a number of other injuries which will no doubt affect him for the rest of his life.

The "proper" biker was most likely back on the saddle after a few months, no permanent harm done. I doubt whether the other bloke would be able to ride again. Shows what an investment a few hundred quid on safety gear can be. I still wince when I see people riding a 1200cc machine at speed, wearing no safety gear but a helmet.
I click on the link and nowt happens! Maybe just as well as I'm a born again biker.

>>

fullchat:

to view the video, left-click on the link at the end of the newspaper article (where it says "Watch the dramatic crash video here") and select "save target as". save the file to wherever you want, and then you can view it as many times as you like.

Bike Accident caught on Police Video - helicopter
I have ridden motorbikes since the sixties and I even worked as a motorcyle courier in London for a while.

The video illustrates why I no longer ride a bike.

Even if you have the best equipment , if you ride a bike and have an accident you will need a lot of luck to survive in todays traffic.

It does not matter whose fault it is if you end up dead.

Car v Bike = usually biker dead.
if you ride a bike and have an accident you will need a lot of luck

>>

and as this video shows, the impact only has to be a relatively gentle nudge, due to just a small difference in their speed (as they were both travelling in the same direction, and the relative speed of the two at the fractional time of impact will have been small ).

Bike Accident caught on Police Video - cottontop
Yes the biker made a bit of an error but i just love the way the 2nd policeman just walks slowly up the parking lane......
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - nick
The reason he was walking slowly is that he was talking into his radio probably calling an ambulance. His right arm is across his body as he holds the mike to transmit.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Craig_1969
Robin Reliant I agree with your thinking completely, perhaps I am just too old to get back in the saddle. But its still true that a moments lack of concentration on a bike and resultant accident will in all likelihood end in a proper injury, whereas the same mistake in a car will only lead to mild bruising from the seatbelt.

And despite what the radiographer says about proper gear, there is very little that decent leathers will stop the injury that results in hitting the kerb \t speed in a off for instance.

Still that was a nasty accident from a manouver that looked like it never should have happened, its a bit mind boggling that a slow speed incident of this nature can capapult the motorcyclist in the air like that although its a lot better than going under the wheels.
2nd policeman just walks slowly up the parking lane......

I watched the whole thing now, First Officer runs to the motorcyclist, second Officer seemingly ambles to the scene but is in reality transmitting on his radio briefly, once finished he runs to the casualty as well, First Officer then runs to the silver vehicle presumably to asses the driver there. What I missed previously
was the Audi pulling up and the driver getting out and walking to the casualty, probably some health professional rather than a ghoul . I'm not going to blame anyone just say that If I was the motorcyclist I don't think I'd have risked what he did but roe on and used a mobile to report the incident further up the road.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Halmer
I hope that they picked up that the woman in the Audi 80 had a rear brake bulb out.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Halmer
Not that you can get a front brake bulb.
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Westpig
On the subject of decent bike gear....... a couple of years ago i had a Merc E Class do a sudden u Turn in dense traffic and i sincerely thought i was going over the top of his bonnet from my bike (Honda Blackbird).

I hit his front offside wing, hard, bounced off into oncoming traffic..... filled my trousers.... but managed to pull over left and avoid the heavily braking builders van and then pull in to the kerb without falling off! God knows how.

But to get to the point, i always wear decent gear. My knee put a foot long dent in the E class front wing and my boot bent the alloy foot rest so much i couldn't rest my foot on it anymore (and it snapped when i eventually tried to pull it back out).

Apart from a swollen foot and some good bruises, that was it......... wouldn't have been with a pair of jeans and trainers.

I wince when I see the shorts and T-shirt brigade in the summer

Saw a dead hard clown on a fully kitted R1200GS the other day wearing a tee-shirt, nice biceps though (for now).
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Robin Reliant
Going along the Embankment one hot summers evening I was overtaken by a guy on a sportsbike wearing the full kit. His pillion was a stunning looking girl in a bikini.

One little slip and there goes the modeling contract.

--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
I have been off bikes at least twice without the right gear.

It aint nice, good gear wont prevent broken bones, but at least you wont be picking gravel out of nasty scrapes on all your nobbly bits like I have. The biggy I had where I traveled 30 -40 yards down the road minus bike, I was wearing good gear so no major missing skin incidents, but still got broken bits.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - nick62
If you happen to go to the Isle of man TT races any sunny June (or more likely rainy) and have a stroll along the south end of Douglas Prom in the evening. there is a good chance you might see a nice sportsbike complete with fully kitted-out rider, but a totally naked female pillion (not even a bikini). I don't mean any old minger either!
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - Westpig
got any photos?
Bike Accident caught on Police Video - smokie
At least they have the driver of the Audi which pulls into the layby banged to rights for only one brake light...