Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - nick62
Can any of you guys in the know please tell me what would be a fair price to ask (and realistically expect to get) for my VW Passat in a private sale and where is the best place to advertise it (I have used Autotrader previously).

It's a pre-facelift TDI PD 115 Sport estate on an "X" plate and was 6 years old this month, I've owned the car from new and it has done 90,000 miles. It as all the toys as standard (full electric pack, auto dimming mirror, climate control, 6 disk DC, etc., etc.)

I would estimate that 90% of the mileage has been long motorway journeys and with only me in the car. The seats and whole interior are basically "as new", (no dogs or smokers and very seldomly children!). The outside is good (no dents) apart from 90K miles worth of stonechips and the alloys are not kerbed. It's got 12 months tax & MOT and 6 month old Michelin Pilot Primacys all round. Colour is metallic black.

Obviously I am gong to be biassed, but it does look good when washed and polished.

Apologies in advance for this sounding like an actual classified, but I don't want to ask too much and I don't want to give it away!
Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - Armitage Shanks {p}

This is Gass's valuation, if I have got the engine right. Sourced from a free valuation service via the vauxhall website. If you don't like the look of these figures see what people are asking in Autotrader on line (boxx advert on the left margin)

Volkswagen Passat Sport
1.9TD Diesel 5-door Estate
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2000 X
Mileage: 90,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£2780

Average condition:
£2470

Below average condition:
£2160

Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - Xileno {P}
That sounds like a very fine car for very little money. You should have people biting your arm off. I would go in high, if it's really as good as you say. It only takes one buyer.
Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - local yokel
So what are you suggesting on a private sale? £3,600 ?

Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - Altea Ego
Its a well sought after motor. The milage is a little high and might put some off, but it should get £3.5k private sale on any sunny day.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - cheddar
I am not the biggest fan of the PD motors and the Passat is not the most inspiring drive though I must say it is a lot of car for 3 grand.
Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - nick62
VW OTR price when I brought it new in Sept. 2000 from memory was about £20,500 (with metallic paint), but as the facelift model was due VW gave £1,000 discount, (£2,000.00 discount on the saloon model). I actually paid just over £18,000.00 for it. I believe the current (new) Passat is about the same price now as in 2000, possibly even less if you get a good deal.

The 115 HP PD engine has returned OVER 50 MPG throughout the life of the car (backed up by my mileage records for the tax man).

Scares me to death, however, when you work-out the cost in depreciation alone...........nearly £50 quid a week!
Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - Altea Ego
Scares me to death, however, when you work-out the cost in depreciation alone...........nearly £50 quid a week!

But that sum goes down for each extra year you keep the car.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fair price for Passat TDI PD estate - cheddar
But that sum goes down for each extra year you keep
the car.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Yup, keep it for another 4 years and that will be nearer 30 quid a week.