False MOT - new VT20 - roy38
I have just bought a car via a 'trade' seller on Auto trader.
Before buying I checked the VIN on the vehicle against the Log Book and MOT certificate. There was a one digit discrepancy on the MOT certificate - which I asked to be changed. This was done (witihn 24 hours). I then bought the car.

I then started to get twitchy - as i noticed the MOT Garage was over 50 miles away from the 'trader'.
I phoned VSO - the MOT test number exists in their database, but not for the vehicle I've bought, and on the Certificate. Indeed they say they have no record of the vehicle on the MOT Certificate being MOT'd for 18months (at least).

I phoned the MOT garage concerend, they have no record in their diary of doing the original MOT in August, nor of doing a change earlier this week. The issuer's name on the MOT is the name of someone at the garage (I don't know if it's his siganture though)

The VOSA do not understand how 1 test number can refer to 2 vehicles and recommended I inform the police, which I have - though I've not seen them yet.

the certificate I've got looks genuine, got the barcode, and the sticky label, doesn't look at all like a scan/copy.

What might be going on?
Stolen MOT forms?
I'm worried, to say the least.
And feel a fool to boot.

False MOT - new VT20 - Pugugly {P}
I would get it MoT'd straight away to ientify any reasons why it doesn't have a pukka MoT, could it be a ringer ?
False MOT - new VT20 - pmh
I think I would be straight back to the trader and explain diplomatically your problem. If it is a dodgy as it sounds he may wish to make an immediate cash refund to save himself some serious problems.

Alternatively you can do your public duty, risk losing the car and/or your money.

As PU says if you intend keeping the car, get a MoT straight away.
--

pmh (was peter)

False MOT - new VT20 - local yokel
Agree with pmh - unless the deal was a total steal (semi-intentional pun) then chuck it back in his lap. He assumed that the cert was legit, you checked and found out what he should have uncovered (OK, no-one ever does) but it's still his problem, regardless of the terms on which he sold it to you.

Sale of Goods Act applies, and he's well in the wrong, probably through no fault of his bar his omission.

The fact that the MoT has been fraudulently presented suggests that there's plenty wrong with the vehicle and/or its past history.
False MOT - new VT20 - Quinny100
Check the details of the MOT using the reg number and the V5 reference first: www.motinfo.gov.uk/html/home.html
False MOT - new VT20 - Collos25
There are so many false documents available from licences,tax discs ,MOT's, insurance cert ,log books its mind boggling .I looked at some tax discs and to me they looked genuine thats why I only touch one owner ex lease cars you can get all there history talk to the last owner if required all before you buy.In this case it looks like an inside job at the mot station ,they are bound to deny it .The motor industry is extremely bent in the the uk from the one off trader upto the large franchises
buyer beware is the only doctrine to use when buying anything.I hope you did not meet him on a car park or phoned a mobil number if so its a certain ringer.
False MOT - new VT20 - bell boy
the new type mot form is not a secure document anymore and if you walked into most mot centres you could probably steal as many as you wanted,all you have to do then is put it through your petite typewriter and put what you want on it
I brought this up on another forum and all the supposed mot guys tried to shoot me down in flames on it but the fact is its so easy and if a trader managed to tax the car on the last day of the legitimate valid mot you could be running round in a car that had not been mot'd for up to 2 years.............
(let me add i am no way accusing the trader that is on this thread as being party to this i am merely bringing facts up)
There is no such thing as a secure document and the new mot was on the black market before most official testing stations had it unless I saw it written myself I would have doubts that it was geniune, having seen books of these things change hands at various unamed places there main use is to sell cars from ads and ebay where checks will not be made till its to late. So Oldman you can go back and tell these people they are in dreamland.
False MOT - new VT20 - Altea Ego
I think this is a bit silly.

Before buying I checked the VIN on the vehicle against the Log Book and MOT certificate. There was a one digit discrepancy on the MOT certificate - which I asked to be changed. This was done (witihn 24 hours). I then bought the car.

This should really have been

Before buying I checked the VIN on the vehicle against the Log Book and MOT certificate. There was a one digit discrepancy on the MOT certificate - I then walked away and declined to carry on with the deal

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yes, thanks TVN, most helpful.

I already have a huge sign around my neck reading 'Idiot'. I didn't really start the thread to have that confirmed.
I was hoping that despite being foolish, I might receive some advice from posters as to what my next steps should be.
And in the main I have received such, so thanks to those that have provided positive information.

----
roy38
----
False MOT - new VT20 - Thommo
The dealer is obviously Mr. Dodgy and he's supplied:

a. a fake MOT

b. a fake MOT will the error on the number corrected

as said the car is probably a ringer and I would guess an inside job at the MOT place.

Your realistic options are:

1. go back point out your on to him and demand a full cash refund which you will probably get asap or;

2. do your civic duty and inform the police and trading standards and HMRC, trading profits are taxable even where the trade is illegal. Likely this guy does this all the time, the guy that sold me a clocked car eventually asked for 162 other similar offences to be taken in to consideration when sentencing (he got a suspended sentence), but the trouble is if the car is stolen or similar then likely you will lose both car and all your money. You can sue Mr. Dodgy but will find he has no assets or income and his wife owns the house he lives in and the car he drives so you can't enforce any award anyway.

I would go for 1. myself but then I can not afford to lose the price of the car.
False MOT - new VT20 - Waino
Is there anything to stop Roy going for 1. , then calling at the plodshop/trading standards office? [This assumes that Roy's a big bloke and has got big mates ; ) ]
False MOT - new VT20 - Thommo
Depends Waino, the guy who sold me a clocked car had an unscheduled meeting with me and my brothers, if you ever meet me I'm the little one (6'2" and 120 kilo) and I got a full refund and he tripped up on the wet pavement but it was just him and his brother in it.

Got to know who your dealing with before you go making statements. Trading standards, HMRC can be done anonymously although it will be pretty obvious where the info came from, the police will want a written statement and for you to appear in court if it gets that far.
False MOT - new VT20 - Dalglish
Got to know who your dealing with before

>>

roy38 has already told the police - as he says in his first post
" VOSA ...... recommended I inform the police, which I have ..."

False MOT - new VT20 - bell boy
good point thommo you have to remember that if it is a dodgy dealer then motor trading may be only the tip of the iceberg and to protect their interests always have a lot of heavies in tow who would not think twice about legging a customer that causes them grief.................
I know many traders in the s/h game that i wouldnt want to deal with for many reasons and for plenty of them dodgy car sales is just a bit of a plaything anyway....
be warned roy38 broken knee caps are not nice and if you do go the heavy armed tactics way the trader has your name address and probably telephone number,he might give your details to a person who inflicts big pain for no gain but does it for kicks.

underworld dont you just love it.......
False MOT - new VT20 - Waino
Thommo, you are right about the potential financial cost of doing your civil duty.
Some years ago (when £200 was worth £500?) my mate was on his way to work when his car was hit up the chuff by 3 'itinerent tarmac layers' in a lorry with no brakes. They immediately leapt out of the lorry and offered Mate £200 cash. Mate thought quickly - civil duty - and called the police. The lorry was impounded and the tarmac layers summonerd to appear in court 2 days later. The said tarmac layers were never seen again and the lorry was subsequently reported 'stolen' from a caravan site 100 miles away.

Net result - police look stupid (not uncommon); Mate is £200 worse off - which, as it happens, is about what the repair cost.

Moral - try and get your money back first.
False MOT - new VT20 - turbo11
I do not think you have been a fool.Your thoroughness has uncovered a possible scam. I expect a majority of people would never have noticed.Please keep us posted on what transpires.
Update:
Police state that details (ie VIN and Reg.) are OK. There is no report on the car having been stolen or written off. They have now suggested I get the car MOT'd. (Keep your fingers crossed on the cost to get it through the re-test it will undoubtedly need).

A question for you - although it doesn't look like it's a ringer, could it still be a 'cut & shut' job? Internally the car is immaculate, and externally does not look like a re-spray, has no bodywork damage, and I can see no evidence of welding/serious repair work.

Some thoughts:
i) I thought I was doing the right thing in checking the VIN on the MOT against chassis and window embed; this is obviously not enough of a check is it. I'd now recommend that when you do check an MOT, preferably get a photocopy, and check with VOSA that the Test Number allocated on their database is for the same vehicle - please pass this message around (or is this something people genrally do anyway/)

ii) I waited around for the best part of 36hours for the police to attend. In the end they didn't, a simply got a phone, from an officer who wouldn't even give is name - 'you don't need it, I'm updating your URN, it's all computerised'. I work in IT, I know the police reporting system is all computerised, that's why it's no better than the manual method, and the EXACT reason I wanted his name. Unbelievable. They also showed absolutely no interest in looking further into the dodgy MOT. I should have known this would be their response - and just got it MOT'd two days ago.

I guess the best I can hope for now, is that it's not a cut & shut, and that it won't cost too much to get through the MOT.

I'll keep you posted - it's going in early next week.
----
roy38
----
Good - Look at the bright side though, if there is a major problem highlighted by the MoT you should have some comeback on the seller if he was/is a trader.
He's no 'trader'. That much I have now worked out.
Hindsight, great isn't it?

----
roy38
----
If the testgoes badly, it may be worth contacting the local Trading Stds. dept.....they may "know" him.
What was the price you paid? Not trying to rub anything in.
Not sure if I dare say - not because of the amount, more to do with the previous talk of knee-caps, big blokes, underworld, and the fact he has my name, address, and tel. number.
----
roy38
----
fair point.
False MOT - new VT20 - Altea Ego
Have youhad a good look round the vehicle? Checked the engine number? go over and under it with a fine tooth comb looking for accident repair tell tale signs. Check the vin plate under the bonnet to see if its been replaced or tampered with or loose. Look for overspray, lift up carpets, look under the rubber bits and inspect the trim closley on the bodywork.

And now the final part, When it passes the MOT, sell it. You are never going to be happy with this vehicle, something is always going to be preying on your mind about it, something that might crop up later, its not going to be a carefree owning experience unless you tie down to your satisfaction what went on.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks TVM. Done all the checks you suggest, and can't see evidence of re-spray/heavy damage/welding. The VIN plate isn't loose, doesn't look tampered with. But heck, as you know, I'm no expert.

Agree, it's got to be sold. Although it's exactly the make, model, age, etc of car I wanted, now I'll never be happy driving it.

Depending on what happens with getting through MOT, what advice can anyone offer on how best to sell in this situation? ie although legal, a totally dodgy history?

----
roy38
----
Sell it at auction/Ebay - ie highest bidder pays and takes it, no arguing over final price then. You may be surprised. Saw a knackered but MoT'd Corrado advertised on a VW forum for £500 - no takers, so he ebay'd it, and got £850!
False MOT - new VT20 - expat
The easiest way to get shot of it quickly with no questions and no come backs is to auction it. That way you don't have to give any explanations or tell any lies. The buyer inspects and it sells as seen.

Mind you I wouldn't expect it will command a top price.
Well, 4 bulbs and a new tyre got it through the MOT. And, I know I should've spotted this ahead of buying (I will now, always, hindsight and all that).
However, 3 pulleys need changing on drive belt (?); rear brake shoes not long left; clutch might last a year, then again it might last three weeks.
I'm considering getting this work done (I need a/the car now!), then auctioning/ebay-ing in (say 4 months).

Am I a complete fool?
Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

----
roy38
----
Your not a fool there is not a person alive or dead that has not been conned at some time ,the ones that say they have never been shows how good the con was. Just put it down to experience.
False MOT - new VT20 - Gromit {P}
Agree with Andy - you took more care to check the car's history than most buyers ever do. When you thought there was something amiss, you set about rectifying it.

Its entirely possible that the car was genuine, IMHO. Suppose the trader took it as a trade-in from someone living 50 miles away who had the car MOT'd before trading in? Or bought it from another trader 50 miles away. And its not inconceivable that someone would enter the VIN number incorrectly when filling out the form.

The MOT you had done suggests there's nothing dangerously wrong with the car (though if you harbour any doubts at all it would be wise to have an expert check it carefully for signs of cut-and-shut or whatever else you fear may be wrong).

If the car is legitimate, you may in fact be better off running it awhile before you sell it again - selling the car almost immediately after you got it might suggest to the next buyer that there really is something wrong with it.
False MOT - new VT20 - DP
And
its not inconceivable that someone would enter the VIN number incorrectly
when filling out the form.

I agree. I had a blue car marked as "red" on the MOT certificate a few years back. Totally legit place that I've used for years - just a genuine mistake.

Cheers
DP
False MOT - new VT20 - Stuartli
One of my best friends has been a used car dealer for more years than he cares to remember (now works from home rather than a showroom).

He is an honest and genuine dealer and, as such, sells vehicles not only locally but all round the country as he often has exactly what someone wants (has a close relationship in particular with the main BMW dealer to acquire some of their PXs).

My VW Bora was acquired through him at a price that was very satisfying. Its owner lived near Glasgow and travelled 200 miles to PX it for one of my friend's particular vehicles.

Furthermore my youngest offspring bought his Focus some 150 miles from where he lives (wanted a three-door TDCI version, a bodystyle which was not very common at that time and found it on the Internet). His own Ford was taken in PX by the main dealership involved.

So the 50 mile distance involved in your case shouldn't necessarily mean anything out of order.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
False MOT - new VT20 - John Doubledime
Roy

Put your purchase behind you, and stop beating your self up about it. We all get caught
some times.

I would question spending out on these repairs and selling at auction a few months later. The repairs won't improve the auction price which may be unpleasantly low anyway.

What price range are you in?

Regards

John
Bought the vehicle for £2,995.

A good price, had all been OK. Worst case scenario for repairs as it stands £600.

----
roy38
----