Toyota Camry auto gear changes rough - Stan54
Just bought a 96 Camry 3.0 V6 with 68k recorded miles

I had a large 63K service including cam belt change and auto transmission fluid change by Toyota dealers to ensure car was completely up to scratch.

Before service, gear changes were as smooth as silk, now they are rougher and jarring.

Dealer reckons it is within acceptable limits but I am unhappy.

Anyone any ideas what could have happened ?

Thanks for any comments
Toyota Camry auto gear changes rough - Aprilia
Check with the dealer that the correct fluid has been used (they were originally spec'd for a Dexron II, but that is now obsolete so Dexron III should be used). Check that the level is correct (measured hot with car on level ground and shift in P with engine running).

Other than that there is not a lot you can do. If still unsatisfactory then look in Yellow Pages for a loca auto transmission specialsit and get him test-drive it. These are normally a smooth transmission.
Thanks Aprila !

Level is OK.

Dealer has offered to refill with Toyota type T fluid which he thinks will help.

Could it be due to battery being disconnected during service and ECU having to relearn maps etc?
Toyota Camry auto gear changes rough - Aprilia
Toyota Type T-IV is a slight variation on Dexron III. I'm doubtful it would make much difference - but if its FOC then why not try it?

Not sure they would disconnect the battery during regular servicing and I don't think Camry's of that age have an ECU that learns the shift pattern (I'm assuming its the 91-96 model Camry, rather than the 96-on model ??).
No it is a 96 on model