webber conversion for scirocco - mrmender
I need to change from the pierberg carb fitted to mrsmm's Scirocco to a webber due to starting probs. I ve done a google search but can't fin any uk suppliers does anyone have a web address or telephone number where i can get one thanks mm
webber conversion for scirocco - steveo3002
www.gsfcarparts.com/
theyre not cheap though :(
webber conversion for scirocco - cheddar
These guys may Help:

www.bbrgti.com
webber conversion for scirocco - Hamsafar
I think you need to spell Weber as Weber, not Webber.
That is why the search results are no good!

Good luck!
webber conversion for scirocco - SjB {P}
I think you need to spell Weber as Weber, not Webber.
That is why the search results are no good!
Good luck!

Reminds me of a heated argument down the pub back in the eighties between two mates.
(Spelling deliberate)

How's the "Webber" carb you just fitted?
It's not a "Webber", it's a "Vayber"; German you know; vayyyyyyyyyyyyyber!
Went on for ages until the rest of us called a truce!

I forgot to say that the argument also went on to what country Weber hails from, with violent disagreement about Germany, and I must admit, I can't remember what the answer is!
Well, Wikipedia says that the German pronounciation is "Vebe", and it means "weaver", thus also implying that the Weber we talk about probably is a German company. Jez, why do our brains remember such trivial things from our past?! I'm talking twenty years ago!
webber conversion for scirocco - mfarrow
implying that the Weber we talk about
probably is a German company.

Wikipedia tells us it's Italian though!

--------------
Mike Farrow
webber conversion for scirocco - Number_Cruncher
Weber were originally an Italian company.

Number_Cruncher
Also see www.webcon.co.uk

--------------
Mike Farrow
Can't you just fix the existing carb? What's wrong with it?

Number_Cruncher
webber conversion for scirocco - Xileno {P}
Nothing usually. A lot of people don't understand Pierburgs and how to set them up properly. Usual plan of action is to chuck it away and fit a Weber. A lot of people fail to tell their insurance as well, it's classified as a modification.
Nothing usually

I tend to agree Xileno, that's what prompted my question.

Number_Cruncher
wont cold start 1 time in a 100 leave it for a few hours and off she goes. A tame auto lec came last night and diagnosed carb. Looks like a fairly new one too. He sucked through his teeth and suggested changing if for a weber. Thats what the company he used to work for did apparently
>>diagnosed carb

How?, what was his logic for saying that?

Number_Cruncher
ok then so whats to be done to the pierburg is there a O/H kit avilable
webber conversion for scirocco - steveo3002
i dont know if its of intrest to you, if you search ebay for weber/pierburg you will find theres a seller that advertises overhauled pierburgs and also offers a diagnose via email trouble shooting service

i cannot say if he's any good or not, but he's got decent feedback
>>ok then so whats to be done to the pierburg?

Firstly, find out what is causing your poor starting problem. Is there any pattern to the 1 in 100? (I must admit, I wold be surprised if this were the carb - intermittent faults are much more commonly electrical)

When it doesn't start, can you smell unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust (if so, it's unlikely to be a carb problem at all)

It's usually worth stripping and cleaning a carb to see what's going on. A float chamber that's full of rusty pieces of the insides of the fuel tank is something you might find!

Is it an automatic choke? Does the auto choke work properly?

Is there an anti-diesel valve? Does this get a decent 12v feed? Is the earth OK?

Does this car have one of those beastly rubber insulators that VW are fond of? If so, is it split?

When it boils down to it, all I'm suggesting is to work logically and methodically, rather than poke and hope!

Number_Cruncher

spark was 100% removed plugs all dry and sparking,
yes it has a anti diesel valve,
fuel pump function was checked it was good,
yes it has a auto choke,
I could smell a whiff of petrol but none out of exhaust
no pattern to fault maybe a coincidence but it was tipping it down with rain when it refused to start.
I tow started it it refused to start at first but then fired up but when you floored the accellarator it just drew air and no power. Returned to my drive, switched off and would not restart. left it for about 6 Hrs it started as normal and was used all day yesterday and today without incident!!
If the plugs were dry after attempting to start the car, then that does point to a fuel problem. If it were an ignition problem, you would expect to see plugs wet with fuel, especially if you pull the plugs out straight after a starting attempt - i.e. the plugs hadn't dried off simply by being stood.

I would be tempted to strip and clean the carb, taking care to check that the anti-diesel valve is working properly. These need a good 12v supply, and, especially if there is a rubber isolator, a good earth connection. I have found some cases where the earth for this valve has either been loose, or corroded, which can cause this kind of trouble.

If you find that the car isn't starting, while cranking, give the throttle a couple of quick pumps (squirting in some neat fuel from the accelerator pump) - if the engine then briefly fires, you confirm the ignition is fine, and the fuel supply is the problem.

Number_Cruncher
webber conversion for scirocco - Edward
Check all the vacuum hoses carefully as well.

Edward
webber conversion for scirocco - pmh
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=42...8

you will find some common Pierburg advice.

--

pmh (was peter)

webber conversion for scirocco - Victorbox

Overhaul Pierburg by Carburettor Exchange perhaps?

Email: sales@carburetterexchange.co.uk

Edited by Avant on 15/07/2020 at 12:33

webber conversion for scirocco - bell boy
i used to hate pierbergs they were a pain to strip and even worse when put back together as they were a magicians box of bits that you couldnt work out what went where......
im sorry if i tread on anyones toes but i would junk the thing and get the weber every day of the week .........power
.................reliability
..............................more mpg
..............................................what more could you ask for?

webber conversion for scirocco - George Porge
What Oldman said ;-)

Never heard a good word said about them
all the local mechs all agree with you ditch the pierburg and fit weber..... It's not missbehaved since used bit all weekendand today, so will soldier on until it gives up again then make a decision then
It's an understandable position for the trade to take.

They can make more money, with a simpler, and lower skilled job, with more chance of not having a come-back.

If, however, you do the work yourself, then trade logic doesn't apply.

Number_Cruncher
It's an understandable position for the trade to take.

Providing of course you "guess" the faulty part first time, a few wrong assumptions and you may as well have fitted the weber in the first place as Pierburg parts are expensive

I'd keep an eye out for an MOT failure with a weber ( not an emmissions failure obviously) in the spare / repairs section in your local paper (or a local to you ebay car) and take enough spares off to make scrapping the rest of the car viable
I'd keep an eye out for an MOT failure with a
weber

Good idea Dox. Check out the list here www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/Weber%20No1%20List%2012...f and see what cars are built OE with you Weber equivalent carb.

--------------
Mike Farrow
webber conversion for scirocco - 3T
Have you checked that fuel filler pipe for holes?
Sounds daft but I spent ages with a Scirocco Mk2 changing carbs,elec bits and pieces . Turned out to be a hole in the neck of the filler pipe allowing road crud into the tank which was occasionally starving fuel supply when sucked against the holes in the sender. Worth a look , put your hand up the wheelarch and feel around the pipe - they corrode about 2 to 3 inches down from the opening.
ah! ahead of you there! spotted that the filler pipe was very rusty earlier in the summer no actual holes but about to go. I fitted a secondhand one. AS VW wanted £200 for a new un
webber conversion for scirocco - 3T
you did better than i did , by the amount of silt in my tank when it was flushed i think it had been holed for years