Recommend Me a Car - component part
Hi all,

I know that for this kind of information, the Back Room is the place to come. I know there are a million threads on 'what car for this money', 'what shall I get' etc. So apologies if I am covering old, old ground but I would like to get my own 'personalised' recommendation. I'm a bit of a car nut job (although I've never owned a 'decent car' lol) so I've already got some ideas, but I want to throw this one into the Back Room for consideration...

I have started a new job that involves me travelling 53 miles each way on the commute at least 3 times a week, interspersed with up to 20K miles a year business travel...and I don't get a company car...sounding like a bum deal now isn't it:-(. I do get 40p per mile for the business mileage however (will be taxed on it after 10K I believe).

I currently have a 98R Laguna, 1.8 8v RT (intended to get rid ages ago, but never bothered). It's on 102K miles and seems to be going ok, but a few things are worrying/bugging me. The clutch is horrible, no progressiveness and pedal is so graunchy and unsmooth it is a nightmare in traffic. The gearbox is horrible, notchy but not in a good way, noisy when idling-think input shaft bearing is on way out.
Engine is horrible, really unrefined, doesn't want to rev above 4K-like a diesel in that respect. At motorway speeds you have NOTHING left for hills, overtaking. It's really loud and sounds really stressed even at 65-75mph. It suffers from tremendous drive line shunt (all mounts checked so no idea what's causing it). Oh yeah, the heater doesn't work! It may just need flushing, or it may require a new matrix.

So not much bothering me then!

On the plus side, it does 39mpg when not in town.

I am thinking about changing it for something that is nicer to drive-at this moment in time, a working heater would be a bonus.

I have a list of things I like/requirements that I would like to draw on my fellow Back Roomers knowledge for recommendations.

Budget, <£3k
Ideally no smaller than Focus sized-don't mind large cars though, as long as running costs not likely to be stupendous.
Considered 'reliable' and able to take substantial mileage.
Comfortable and decent enough for large miles.
Must have reasonable power and performance-I would love Evo performance, but I will settle for something that has 'reasonable' performance i.e. engine and gearbox well suited to car, 0-60 <10s.
Capable of reasonable fuel economy-35 easily achievable-the better the better though
Decent gearbox
Refined engine that will rev smoothly and cleanly, and not be strained at Mway speeds (ties in with performance this point I suppose)
Smooth, light clutch that will stay smooth and light!
Heated door mirrors.
Excellent brakes, discs all round also, ABS too (I love the brakes in the mk 2 Megane, I like brakes that you only have to sneeze on to put you through the windscreen)Reasonable handling-I used to own a 205 1.6 gti-I would love a real drivers car, but out right handling is not absolutely required.
Good/adjustable driving position
Can be diesel or petrol,
Not really bothered about Insurance Group (25 yo, 4yrs NCB)
Preferably Air Conditioned
Leather trimmed steering wheel,
Remote central locking
electric front windows
decent seats, preferably 'sports' but decent will do
I really like the steering wheel mounted controls in the laguna
Clutch foot rest

Not bothered about things like alloys, although I don't dislike them,
Would consider any make-looks/image not a very high concern to me. I like all sorts of cars-even quirky Citroens.
A heated front windscreen'd be good.

So not an exacting list of requirements then! I already know a lot about various cars, but it's the details you can't easily get from a spec sheet that I value the back roomer's help for-things like how good is the clutch, are the brakes decent, steering wheel mounted controls for stereo etc. Most important thing to me is a decent engine/gearbox with a smooth clutch and a car that overall feels 'fit' when driving. The terrible gearbox and horrible engine combined with a sticky/unsmooth clutch is really making driving a chore at the moment. Especially when caught in a traffic jam, it's hell.

To anyone who takes the time to read and respond to my post, thank you, I appreciate it! I am open to ideas on any of my requirements and even the budget etc, I will listen to what anyone has to say.

Thanks
Component Part
Recommend Me a Car - oldgit
Yeah, sure! Not asking much, are you?
Recommend Me a Car - Pugugly {P}
Keep the Laguna until it fails big style, save up your mileage benefits and buy a used Focus.
Recommend Me a Car - Renekame_3rd
You are asking for quite a bit.

'Leather trimmed steering wheel' made me chuckle.

May I suggest a Honda Prelude?

Even the 2.2 VTi (manual) will return 33mpg on motorway driving as long as you've got the cruise control on and do no more than 75mph. Mine willreturn 40mpg at around 55mph (once again, stick it on the cruise).

Oh yeah, and it has a leather trimmed steering wheel.

No heated front screen, though. :)
Aye cheers for the suggestions.

Leather trimmed steering wheel-it's a bit rich isn't it? Maybe I should design and build my own car-then I can have all the little touches I like!

To be fair, even I wouldn't consider a leather trimmed steering wheel to be essential. Nice to have though. I don't think very many cars come with a heated front screen-a focus would probably fit the bill.
Recommend Me a Car - Adam {P}
A Focus doesn't have a clutch rest, won't have rear disc brakes and ABS unless you get a special edition or a 2.0 Zetec, Ghia etc, the clutch won't stay light, won't get heated jets, mirrors or screen on all models, aircon has probably failed on any within your budget.

But other than that, it fits your bill to a T!
Thought the 1.8l models had rear discs?
Nope.

Might have been an optional extra or on some special edition but not on the models up through to the Ghia.
He knows his Focii.
I was sure a guy near me had a 1.8l Zetec with rear discs....must have been a 2l as it definately had rear disc brakes..
Zetecs are a bit different because there's a Zetec Focus which is nothing special but a Zetec ESP (I think) which is a 2.0 and has...well....ESP but the 2.0 Ghia didn't.

It's possibly a 1.8 Zetec did have rear discs but that's certainly the exception to the rule.
Why do Ford hate rear discs? Fiestas never had 'em, the vast majority of Mondeos up to the current model didn't have them. I accept that rear drum brakes are more than adequate, but discs *are* better in most respects. Don't get why they even bother with drums these days-even the Kia Picanto has a disc-all round setup, yet you see loads of Mk2 Mondeo 2l Zetecs running around with those smart 16" wheels, with rubbish looking rear drum brakes....I demand answers!
Because Ford are ridiculously stingy with kit. My car, in theory, could have been ordered with rear discs. But it would have cost hundreds as an optional extra. It could have had a sunroof - extra. Rear electric windows - extra. But the equivalent 2.0 Ghia has all of these plus the computer and some other little things. (Actually - the 2.0 Ghia doesn't have a sunroof as standard).

Things get complicated though because that 2.0 Zetec ESP is better than mine as standard but lower (technically) in the range. ESP could have been ordered with mine although not when we got it because it was in 1999. ESP I *think* (and could well be wrong on this) was from the facelifted models. You might be pushing your luck getting a facelifted Focus within your budget - I certainly wouldn't want one. Similarly, the facelifted version of mine comes without alloys as standard whereas mind did.

There have been stories of people being sold 1.6 LXs thinking that they're 1.8 Ghias because most people believe what they're told. It doesn't help that the spec difference is veryy confusing.

Dad has a crap car. It's a 1998 Mazda 626 and we really don't like it. But the base model comes with:

Clutch rest
Climate Control
4 disc brakes
Full electric
Sunroof
CD Player

Maybe you should get a 626 instead! (No, don't!)

One word of warning though, if you do go down the Focus route, don't expect it to have something because it's a certain model. Ours supposedly was meant to come with a changer. (It didn't).

Good luck thougn,

Adam
Cheers fo the advice-appreciated.

Certainly seems Ford have a super confusing spec sheet. TBH if I was looking at any given car I would verify what kit it had and that it all worked etc.

My mum has a T plate 1.4 zetec Fiesta. It has A/C, great-it has a heated front windscreen, superb. But it has manual windows, manual door mirrors (ok, manual door mirrors isn't a great hardship), no remote c/l. I mean, who builds a car with a heated front screen and air conditioning, but doesn't bother to fit electric windows? With most manufacturers a/c and a heated front screen would be considered higher equipment than electric windows. Pesky specifications.
mean, who builds a car with a heated front screen and air conditioning, but doesn't bother to fit electric windows? <<

Welcome to Ford mate.
Recommend Me a Car - mike hannon
I'll second the Honda Prelude 2.2 VTI suggestion - mine doesn't do less than 33mpg however hard and far I drive it and is an auto with 'sequential sport shift' as well.
And it has a leather-trimmed steering wheel AND a leather wheel glove on top of that which I bought for a fiver in a discount shop! I like the feel of a thick rim...
Recommend Me a Car - Avant
With the mileage you're going to do, a diesel will be worthwhile. If Fords don't tick enough of your multifarious boxes, think about a Skoda Fabia or Octavia (depending on the size you need). Both can be had with the 1.9 TDI engine - don't get an SDI as it's a slug. Cheap to buy and dependable: good handling and plenty of performance.
Would a sub 3 grand Common Rail diesel be a wise buy?
Recommend Me a Car - GregSwain
Nissan Almera!!

1.4 engine provides decent enough performance, all petrol engines use timing-chains instead of belts, so one less thing to worry about.

Equipment is generous, as with most Japanese cars, and reliability is the best you'll find for the price. You'll also get over 40mpg on the motorway with the smaller engines.

You could always look at Korean cars - Hyundai Accents are very reliable, but you'll lose half your money within a year. Indicators are on the wrong side of the steering column too.....
I actually did quite a few miles in a T reg Accent. My then girl friend had one. It was an Accent Coupe 1.3i. Base model-no c/l, no electric windows, no abs, no PAS, no rev counter. It had adequate performance, seats were surprisingly comfortable over long journey. But there was something funny with the steering-with more than half a turn of lock applied when released, whilst moving of course, it would VIOLENTLY spring back. It was really bizarre.

But it never missed a beat reliability wise. Didn't like it much though-no better than my current car in terms of refinement so no go there.
I certainly like the look of those skodas. I would probably prefer Octavia size, but depends on prices.
I have just looked on Parkers. Apparently the 1.9TDi motor in the Octavia is available in three outputs, 110bhp, 90bhp and get this....64bhp...torture! Who would buy a brand new car in that class with a 64 brake motor in it? The E reg 309 1.1 XE I once owned had 55bhp, and that was so, so, so slow.
What kind of performance (real world performance) and economy can you expect from a Vectra 2l SRI? Are they really THAT bad? Plently of choice in the sub £3k price range, and I like the look of them-I like Vauxhalls in general. New Vectra out of my price range tho *sulk*.

What's the drive like-is the clutch nice and light, and what are the brakes like?

BTW, this whole clutch thing. It's not so much the actual weight of the clutch, it's the smoothness of the mechanism I'm more thinking about. Years of owning French cars (309, 205, ZX, Laguna) have made me lose faith in being able to obtain a car that has a decent clutch mechanism.
Decent gearbox Yes.
Refined engine that will rev smoothly and cleanly, and not be strained at Mway speeds (ties in with performance this point I suppose) Yes the 1.4 16valve
Smooth, light clutch that will stay smooth and light! Yes
Heated door mirrors. Yes
Excellent brakes, discs all round also, ABS too (I love the brakes in the mk 2 Megane, I like brakes that you only have to sneeze on to put you through the windscreen)Reasonable handling-I used to own a 205 1.6 gti-I would love a real drivers car, but out right handling is not absolutely required. Probably all of these
Good/adjustable driving position Yes
Can be diesel or petrol, Yes
Not really bothered about Insurance Group (25 yo, 4yrs NCB) Whatever
Preferably Air Conditioned Yes
Leather trimmed steering wheel, Possibly
Remote central locking Yes
electric front windows Yes and rears
decent seats, preferably 'sports' but decent will do Yep
I really like the steering wheel mounted controls in the laguna Nt sure
Clutch foot rest Yes

Skoda Fabia. Cracking understated little motor.
Recommend Me a Car - mare
I have just looked on Parkers. Apparently the 1.9TDi motor in
the Octavia is available in three outputs, 110bhp, 90bhp and get
this....64bhp...torture! Who would buy a brand new car in that class
with a 64 brake motor in it?

the 64bhp is the SDI i.e. not turbo'd and not a TDI

the 90 bhp was in the GLX / Ambiente

the 110 bhp was in the SLX / Elegance / L&K.

In response to Adam's comment, i'm pretty sure these aren't common rail jobs as VAG went down the PD (Pumpe Duse) route, which came out later.

I had a SLX Octavia with the 110bhp and it was alright until the cambelt tensioner went. Lack of maintenance rather than the car. They're ok, huge boot and 50mpg. Low front whihc catches on speed bumps though.

For £3k you should be able to get a decent 5-6 year old one, i would have happily ran mine on to 150,000 miles if it hadn't gone pop.

I drive an Almera, but an old R reg one. It's OK, but for 20,000 miles, i'd be thinking next class up for comfort. Thought of a Primara or Avensis?

Recommend Me a Car - PoloGirl
I was going to suggest some sort of Fabia, but they're a bit outdated and don't come with some of the kit you want.

So... Mondeo Tdci...

Frankly I'm suprised we got this far without it ;)

Recommend Me a Car - Avant
I don' t think I agree the Fabia is outdated. I know it's been around since 2000 and there's a ne model comoing next year - but it does what small hatchbacks are supposed to do and does it well, and with some flair.

I hope the new one doesn't fall victim to the idiot stylists who seem to think that the smaller the glass area the better (e.g. Honda Civic, Seat Leon) and the thicker the C-pillar so that you can't see to reverse - and could even fail to spot a child in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Recommend Me a Car - RichardW
Xantia 110 HDi Exclusive. No contest really. Ticks all the boxes in the list apart from perceived reliablity - but it seems to me that if you use them a lot they keep going. Economy in the 50s, the most powerful all round discs brake set up you can get on a family car, all the toys, (inc your leather trimmed steering wheel!), comfortable - simply the best ride bar none, provding the spheres are up to scratch, and will be under £3k, even for a late (2001) car. Buy the best / latest you can find, pref one owner FCSH - and make sure it's never been filled with petrol!

Trouble is, they're a bit few and far between (there's less than 40 Xantia HDi's on Autotrader at the moment, and most are lower spec 90s).

I'll just have to keep looking for mine......!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Recommend Me a Car - cheddar
You know what ticks all the boxes but perhaps for " Considered 'reliable' " is a 95 to 02 Vectra, you the diesels are a bit ruff though the petrols are very sweet , you could get a nice facelift SRi or perhaps CDX for £3k, the V6 will do big mileages though 60k belt changes are costly, the 2.2 is pretty quick and is chain cam though there have been problems with lubrication to the cam chain, the 1.8 is a sporty drive, a very crisp free revving motor. Also a pre facelift 2.0 in good order would be a fine car at the right price.

Re " Considered 'reliable " the cars IMO are OK, the dealers are the problem, find a good one and a good indy garage and you should get good service.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the sound of the Xantia, always thought those cars looked great. Would like one of the Activia jobbies with active yaw control-corners almost completely flat. 2l petrol turbo only though and rare. One problem with the cit is the cable operated clutch-in my experience they usually have the smoothness qualities as though lubricated with glue and saw dust. Don't know if the 110hdis use a hydraulic clutch release.

What system do the Mk1/1.5 Vectras use? What kind of mpg would a 2.5v6 return in 'real world' driving, mainly long distances?
Recommend Me a Car - RichardW
110 HDi uses the ML5 gear box which has a cable operated gearchange, but uses a hydraulic clutch - granted it's still a pull jobbie, but appears not to suffer from the heavy pedal syndrome of the cable operated clutch fitted to the Turbo D cars, and the gearbox is better than the BE3. I drove my mate's 110 HDi and at 65k the clutch was still like new.

I too would like an Activa, but 25 mpg, and eye wateringly expensive dealer only Activa specific parts put me off. They got LHD HDi Activas on the continent....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Recommend Me a Car - Dynamic Dave
What system do the Mk1/1.5 Vectras use?

If you're refering to the clutch, then hydraulic. The Mk1 Vectra (or to give it it's proper name, Vectra-A) is actually a Mk3 Cavalier.

The 1995 to 2002 Vectra is the Vectra-B. It was given a face lift in 1999, and most people say it was well needed. Improved suspension, amongst other things. Also the 2.5 engine was replaced with a 2.6 unit. Same power output, but greater torque.
Recommend Me a Car - Number_Cruncher
I would suggest a post-facelift Vectra B might be better rather than pre-facelift. The improvements made in 1999 were definitiely worthwhile, both in terms of spec, and some less obvious changes that make them a more reliable and robust car.

How about a nice, rear wheel drive, Omega?

Number_Cruncher
How about an automatic? Won't have to worry about the clutch action then!
The Omega appeals to me, but I am worried about reliability and the cost of high potential fail items-although hearing Smokie rave about their Omega, especially at 135K, gives me confidence.

I have thought about an automatic-in fact I would quite like one-would really take the strain out of traffic jams as all you have to do is left foot on brake, right foot on gas, a bit of creep when crawling. Would be bliss compared to my current motor with it's much loathed clutch action. Not sure about fuel economy and whether I would regret losing the control that a manual gives.

What Omega would be recommended? I could see myself in a 2.5v6 GLS Auto-comfy seats, refined, relaxed high speed cruising, easy (as in comfortable) to drive in traffic, plenty of poke when required, LEATHER TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL :-). But what kind of running costs, what kind of MPG could I expect? If you booted it all the while you'd be lucky to get into the 20s I expect. Is 35+ relatively attainable?
On the servicing/running cost front I can bear in mind that I am willing and capable of doing many servicing tasks myself-oil changes, brakes etc no problem for me. I have changed cambelts and water pumps and heater matrices (sp?) and even managed all four rear subframe mounts single handedly on my ZX at one point. If I were to get a car that was likely to be worth something when I was done with it (would be for the first time if I did!) then I would consider paying a garage to maintain some kind of semblance of a SH.

But a cambelt on a 2.5 v6 lump might be a bit beyond me-if only due to special tools required.
The 4-cylinder Omegas are meant to be more reliable than the V6s.
Figures....less to go wrong I suppose.
Recommend Me a Car - ablandy
have you considered the budget? You will be getting about £6500 per year tax free for the fuel on 20k business miles (stress the business miles, see the other thread)
The reason i ask, is what is the implication to you and your employer if the car breaks? surely for that mileage you need a reliable car. I may be shouted down for this, but a £3k car is prob not be very reliable, for the miles.

I bought a £5k diesel mondeo ghia with reasonable mileage from a west london car supermarket - alloys, multi cd and economical. Alloys as well.

Not sure about leather steering wheel though! Has also got a heated screen.

Does your employer have any restrictions on age of car?