Escape Roads - Peter Mason
It is many years since I drove down the very steep road into Lynmouth, but I remember the frequent signs -'Keep in low gear, Escape road 2 miles--Escape road 1 mile---1/2 mile', etc. Then I passed the 'escape road' - a ten yard slot cut into the cliff face with a pile of gravel to slow you down from what? possibly 80mph?!
Has this been changed?
P.
Re: Escape Roads - THe Growler
I recall coming down that one in a 1950's Ford 103E Popular laden with 2 guys 3 girls and lots of camping gear, having earlier gone up Porlock, with all the passengers having to walk! - Halfway down, low gear, handbrake et al notwithstanding, terminal brake fade kicked in and I distinctly remember what felt like a life or death choice between careering onward in neutral and taking our chances with those pesky little niches in the hillside or blowing up the engine and gearbox. We (I) chose the former plus crossed fingers and clenched sphincters and arrived virtually out of control at the bottom but at least without losing ours and the car's shape en route! Even that gloriously primitive side-valve engine didn't break anything. How we never slammed into oncoming traffic or rolled over was a miracle but that road was quieter then I guess.
Re: Escape Roads - gwyn parry
Alwyn may well be familiar with the Escape Road on Rhuallt hill (pre-three lane blacktop) had terminal brake fade there one night in a Moggie thou !
Re: Escape Roads - Brian
The Road down to Dover docks always interests me, half a mile or more long with traps, but if you get to the bottom there is the choice of a sharp turn onto a little roundabout or going straight on into the harbour.