BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - Paul77
I have a '97 R 523i SE. I have got the display showing the outline of the car and both light indicators at the rear of the car, which according to the manual means brake lights fault (can also be actual lights as well). When I have checked , I found the brake light bulbs out. So, quick trip down to local shop, then remove rear of clusters to replace the bulbs. Once I had removed both sides, I realised that the 2 bulbs blown where in different positions on each side. The drivers side was an outside bulb, and the other side was an inside bulb. So I checked the side lights, and this proved that both the brakes and lights use an outside and an inside one each. I presume this is not correct and it should be either both outer or both inner ones. The fault indicator is still on, even though all bulbs now work. If this is wrong, does anyone know where a wire could be crossed or if you have heard of this before.

Cheers
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - elekie&a/c doctor
First thing to check is that you have the right wattage bulbs in the correct holder locations.(usually engraved on the plastic bulbholder assy).Also check operation of hi-level brake light in rear window,access to this is via boot under rear shelf.When replacing any bulbs on these , make sure the light switch & ignition are off ,so as not to confuse the lighting electronic control unit..hth
The bulbs I took out were both 12V 5W Phillips bulbs. The other two that I didn't replace are also 12V 5W. Because these were all the same, thats what I put back. Does this sound right to you? The Hi level brake light is and always has been working properly.
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - elekie&a/c doctor
5w bulbs are side/tail bulbs .Brake lights are 21w and may be of single or twin filament type.
So if I swapped two of the bulbs for 12V 21W bulbs everything "should" be ok? Would this sort out the fact that they are using an outside and an inside one?
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - Aprilia
I am pretty sure that your outers are brake lights (21W, single filament) and the inners are taillight 5W. The external lights are operated from a sophisticated ECU (labelled 'Aussenbeleuchtungs Steuergeraet') which monitors the current for bulb failure. Not all bulbs are equal and it is probably best to use bulbs supplied by the dealer and check that the holder terminals are clean - otherwise you may get the fault indication even if both bulbs are alight.
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - Dalglish
paul77 -
take a look at jadeturtle.com/bmw/
the photo between the label step2 and step3 shows where the six bulbs go. (note: he has two photos labelled step 2 in error).

BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - Screwloose
Paul

Is the third brake light in the rear window working?
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - storme
i had this problem in my bmw..
the only way to sort it out for me was to replace all 4 bulbs at the same time with the exact bulbs needs.

it was a frustrating experience because i was sure what i was doing was correct

but until i changed all 4 bulbs,, none of the combinations worked..

good luck
--
www.storme.co.uk
i had this problem in my bmw..
the only way to sort it out for me was to
replace all 4 bulbs at the same time with the exact
bulbs needs.
it was a frustrating experience because i was sure what i
was doing was correct
but until i changed all 4 bulbs,, none of the combinations
worked..

Yes, this is not unusual with the BMW bulb failure system. Also get the bulbs from the dealer - they don't always like the 'unbranded' bulbs sold in some factors.
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - jacks
Yes, this is not unusual with the BMW bulb failure system.
Also get the bulbs from the dealer - they don't always
like the 'unbranded' bulbs sold in some factors.

>>

your right about this - I replaced faulty bulbs with standard over the counter bulbs on a E46 (similar system) and they didn't fit/work, On comparing the old blown BMW bulbs with the aftermarket versions I found the little short locating pins on the side were in slightly different positions (although they were sold as correct replacements and bore the type/number stated in the handbook)
I had to file the pins down a little before they would fit and work.
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - yorkiebar
Not quite sure I understand that bit!

have fitted a few bulbs in my time and never had a problem with pin locations/size.

Only problems I have encountered as a bulb problem is the glass bit spinning against the metal base.

There are not many actual manufacturers of bulbs; a lot are cheaper bulbs just re branded.

I think its more likely wrong bulbs in wrong locations as others have picked up on.
There are not many actual manufacturers of bulbs; a lot are
cheaper bulbs just re branded.
I think its more likely wrong bulbs in wrong locations as
others have picked up on.

No its not. There are a lot of cheap unbranded bulbs about. The filament resistance can be outside of the range catered for by the lamp control unit - hence gives an error message. Stick with branded bulbs (Philips, Osram etc).
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - Dalglish
>>Is the third brake light in the rear window working?
screwloose - paul has already stated that "The Hi level brake light is and always has been working properly."
So if I swapped two of the bulbs for 12V 21W bulbs everything "should" be ok? Would this sort out the fact
that they are using an outside and an inside one?

>>

i suspect paul's problem stems from this misunderstanding:
["Once I had removed both sides, I realised that the 2 bulbs blown where in different positions on each side. The drivers side was an outside bulb, and the other side was an inside bulb. So I checked the side lights, and this proved that both the brakes and lights use an outside and an inside one each. "]

paul needs to identify the six bulbs - which bulbs are for fog, reversing, tail/side, and brakes.
Thanks for all your replies. You are all right in one sense or another. Today I had a look at my mates car at work, who also has an E39. The bulbs I replaced are part of the tail/side lights. The brake lights are at the bottom and are 21W. All bulbs are now ok, but still have the fault indicated. My next move is to replace all bulbs with dealers bulbs as there is definately a mix of make. Also, I'm going to clean the contacts. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for your help.
Latest find!
At the moment I still have the fault, but, when I was checking all the bulbs for their wattage and make, I discovered that someone has replaced one of the reversing light bulbs with one that is a dual filament and therefore has offset pins. This should be a single filament with level pins. I will pick up a new bulb tomorrow and hopefully this will solve all my problems.
BMW E39 Brake and side lights issue - yorkiebar
Keep us informed but I think you have found the problem, wrong bulbs in wrong places.
I've been away for 2 months, so couldn't reply to you lot. Thanks for all the info, but one big lesson learnt here. Changed bulbs and still had fault. Now really anoyed! Then, I found only one of the reversing lights working. I thought swap bulbs (new one already bought and replaced). Bulbs swapped and now other side was the one not working. Right, must be bulb. Checked filament, everything ok. Even tested bulb on a spare battery. Bulb works?????? Then, ray of light shone through brain. Looked at the bottom of the bulb, 2 contacts. BMW requires single point. What a git!!! Checked other bulbs that I replaced, all same. Bought new bulbs and fault cleared instantly. A wise man once said, can't see the forest for the trees. Goes to show how many of us instantly look for the big problems and miss the absolute obvious? Not saying that you lot are as daft as me, but I bet theres a few of you out there who won't admit doing something like this once. Cheers again.