Cracking oil deal at Halfords - DP
Hope this doesn't break any forum rules, but it's such a good deal i thought I'd share it.

Halfords are doing 5 litre cans of their own brand 5W/40 fully synthetic oil at half price (£15.99) at the moment. Meets Merc 227.3, VW 502.00/505.00 and BMW Longlife, and normally sells at £31.99

I was just about to pay £18.99 for some semi when I came across this, so bought it instead.

Cheers
DP
Sorry, should read Merc 229.3
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - Aprilia
They have run this deal for the last couple of years - nearly always over a holiday period (Xmas, Easter etc). I believe this oil is re-branded Esso and its good stuff so quite a bargain.
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - cheddar
I know for a fact that Halfords semi-synth is made by Comma, Halfords put me on to the Comma tech dept re a motorcycle related query, I assume that the synth is also Comma.
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - mss1tw
Yeah got 4l's fully synth 5w/40 for that. Good price. Does anyone know how long the deal is on for? It wasn't even advertised in store?
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - Hamsafar
Comma is owned by Esso (ExxonMobil), blended at Fawley.
Now installed in the Mondeo's sump. The oil is drastically over-specced for this engine, but as it cost less than the lower quality stuff I normally use, I thought it was worth it. Engine seems to like it - it's got its usual "clean oil" feel to it anyway.

This is the first time I've ever used a fully synthetic oil, and probably will be the first time I let it go the whole 10k before the next change. If over-caution doesn't get the better of me beforehand of course.

Cheers
DP
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - Aprilia
Comma is a brand name used by Esso.
Ashok / Aprilia, I knew Comma were owned by one of the big companies though I assume from what their tech chap told me that they have their own product development dept.
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - Waino
Now installed in the Mondeo's sump.

I was under the impression that Mondeo's preferred 5W/30 - is the change to 5W/40 likely to make any difference? Or, have I got the wrong mk Mondeo in mind?

Now installed in the Mondeo's sump. The oil is drastically over-specced
for this engine, but as it cost less than the lower
quality stuff I normally use, >>

It may be wrongly specced for the engine, what engine is it?, Ford are very clear about the need for Ford spec 5W/30 which is semi-synth and a number of manufactuers make oil to this spec. Could effect warranty etc.

Lets not get into another long winded oil discussion however it is perhaps wrong to call semi-synth lower quality, rather it is a different spec with different characteristics.
Of the Comma oils their Syner-Z 5w/30, Syner-G 5w/40 and Syner-D 5w/40 synth oils all meet the MB229.31, VW505.00 and BMW specs however only their X-Tech 5w/30 semi-synth meets the Ford spec WSS-M2C913-B.

Reckon the Halfords synth is probably the same as Comma Syner-G and semi-synth the same as Comma Eurolite.
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - Stuartli
I used to get Unipart 5w/30 semi-synthetic from a local motor factor for my offspring when he had a 1.4 Zetec engine Fiesta - it cost around £14 including VAT.

Most motor factors will supply the general public as well as the trade and the saving, in this case, was enough to cover the cost of the oil filter as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - steveb
...and the 5l ready mix screenwash is 2 for 1 also - £20 covers both as I did this morning.

Steve
Hi Cheddar - it's the Endura DE diesel. If it was a Zetec I'd be sticking religiously to the 5W/30.

The recommendation is 10W/40 or 5W/30

Cheers
DP
Cracking oil deal at Halfords - MikeTorque
I've used this Halford 5/40 synthetic oil in my previous Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec numerous times. The Ford dealer was happy to put it into the engine when it was service time as it fell within one of the recommended oil specs. The Focus ran fine on in and I had no engine problems whatsoever. The oil stayed cleaner for longer than the standard semi-synthetic 5/30 although Magnetec 5/30 semi-synthetic came close.