Etch primer. - David W
Any sprayers out there?

I need to do a little bit to the old Land Rover, some hand paint and some spray can (I think). I know that normal paint doesn't really stick to the bare alloy where it shows through in damaged areas.

You can get spray cans of etch primer at about £12 a tin but it is called Acid Etch Primer.

Is this going to lift the existing paint at the repair edges?

David
Re: Etch primer. - Simon
No it will be fine as long as you prepare all the surfaces properly. You can use etch primer on most types of existing paint work and it will not have an adverse reaction, but do read the tin before you apply it.
Re: Etch primer. - mike harvey
David, I have used etching primer many times, and boy, does it smell. Please use a good mask. What I have not done is try to blend in as you are wanting to, just whole panels. Reaction with other paints depends pretty much on what it is. You will struggle to put cellulose onto acrylic for example. As a rule, its best to try and keep the primer as dry as possible in these situations, so it has little wet time to react. If you keep the spray at a distance so that it goes on dry, and build up each coat that way, I think you will minimise any problems. Could you brush a bit onto a small out of the way area first to try it, say in the back or under the bonnet?
Good luck
Mike
Re: Etch primer. - Steve G
Mike has said it all really, but i would like to second is point on the smell ! try and use a air-fed mask if possible.
Re: Etch primer. - David W
"Air fed mask"??

Come on guys, this is a 40yr old Land Rover. I'd rather hoped to pour a litre or two over the roof and let the paint find a level. Just wanted to use the correct primer on the three or four areas that will be bare alloy so the paint sticks on the way past. They are no more than one square foot in total.

The paint I'll use is Tractol synthetic enamel. It is the "standard" around here for tractors and farm implements, they do all the Land Rover colours. It is available in 1lit tins for brush/spray and 0.5lit spray cans.

Thanks,

David
Re: Etch primer. - Graham
David W you are LRDave and I claim my £5.
Re: Etch primer. - David W
Hello Graham,

My motto is to be truthful on all forums in case the crafty cross trackers suss you out.

Well done. Instead of the £5 I will send you something from the spare Series 2.

Regards,

David
Re: Etch primer. - Graham
As long as it will fit a Series 3 Lt Wt, thats fine by me.

Rgds