astra 1.4 overheating - going mad over astra
please all you astra amazing blokes out there help me ........ my astra is overheating so far i have changed the radiator and put a new thermostat in and it still overheats .......... but the fan wont work i have had it checked and its fine how do i get the damn thing to work i dont have a clue ... this female is stumped please help me out any advice will be taken on board and dont have me taking parts out of my car that will stop it running lol
astra 1.4 overheating - stuartl
Try disconnecting the plug that connects to the fan sensor switch, probably on the radiator/thermostat housing cover and short the two wires together. If the fan starts the switch is knackered. If the fan still refuses to start (remember to try with ignition on) try all fuses, fan relay where fitted etc. The fan switch is usually first to go though, sometimes knocked out by the initial overheat for a different reason. If I can help further I will try and talk u through it on the phone if needs be.

Stuart
astra 1.4 overheating - robcars
How much does it overheat?
How hot does it get?
How often?
Any times? in traffic etc or on longer runs?
Any other info u can give?

I suspect water pump so far but need more to go on.

Because you are female i too will fall over and beg to help you (joking!)
astra 1.4 overheating - Number_Cruncher
how do you know it overheats? How quickly does it overheat after being started?

It's possible that the fan, and the switch are fine, but the gauge is simply lying to you.

Has it ever boiled over?

Have you ever lost any coolant?

It is extremely unlikely to be the water pump - they aren't cheap and nasty like VWs.

Number_Cruncher
sorry number cruncher I am not really trying to keep having a go at you but there have been a lot of cheap (chinese?) vauxhall water pumps fitted lately. Nearly every one ends up being returned from what I can make out.

Not just vw prob then ?
>>there have been a lot of cheap (chinese?) vauxhall water pumps fitted lately

Really, that's interseting, I hadn't heard about that!

I am an ex-Vauxhall mechanic, [not entirely a glossy book merchant! ;-) ] I worked in an East Lancashire dealership - probably not a million miles away from Oldman's domain! When I can get back home from the tedious* East midlands, I meet up with my ex-colleagues for a beer and find out what is going on in the workshops - perhaps I'm more than overdue a visit back to civilisation!

Cheers,

Number_Cruncher

* you can't but mild in the pubs
you can't buy steak and kidney puddings in the chip shops
you can't buy sarsaparilla tablets in the sweet shops

it's a disaster!

thank you all so very very much for your good advice ........ ok lets go ....... car definatley overheating it blew a big hole in one of the hoses lol .... so far i have replaced the radiator and now its good i have replaced the thermostat and that is now good checked and cleaned the earth and its all good i have bled the system and its good and i have tried the fuses replaced the fan checked the fan and it worked and the fan swithy thingy all good but still the damn fan wont work when the car starts to get hot ....... so i have had enough and i am now going to bypass and wire a switch to my dashboard so i can turn it on manually when it starts to overheat again ......... what do you think ????? its the only thing left to try without putting it into a crushing machine lol ...................... oh and i have joined the AA with relay so if i break down on my journey south i can at least get a lift lol ............ any more tips or do you think the switch on dashboard is good idea ????????????
Don't know how old the car is, could affect the resale value if new ish.

But its a practical answer! Unless it is the pump, and will only be matter of time before coolant isnt moving round the engine in which case the engine will overheat severley.
astra 1.4 overheating - stuartl
As per my earlier posting if you can short the two wires to the fan switch and the fan runs then the switch is failing to close at temperature. Apart from a switch fault, again, as suggested, if the water isn't circulating then the hot water will remain in the engine and will therefore not trigger the switch for the fan. As you have checked the thermostat isn't stuck shut I would replace the water pump. Before you do that check the top AND bottom hoses of the rad when the car is warmed up. If they are both similar temperature then the water pump would appear ok. If the temp. of the two differ greatly it suggests water isn't being pumped round the cooling system, ie knackered water pump.
After the extra info given by the OP, I think that looking at the pump is a good idea.

One last point to double check is the switching temperatures marked on the side of the rad-fan switch. If the wrong one is fitted, you can get some odd behaviour.

Number_Cruncher
astra 1.4 overheating - mss1tw
car definatley overheating it blew a
big hole in one of the hoses

That has to be the head gasket, surely? Pressurises the cooling system and makes the car over heat.
It certainly could be head gasket!

is it lack of circulation thats caused it ? or we got other problems here too?
one step ahead of you boys ........ checked the temperature of the hoses top and bottom of rad as it was heating up and both the same water pump ok ......... done the wire thing to check the fan and it worked ........ fitted a new switch for the fan and guess what it still dont work aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ........... so stumped totally and tried to wire a switch into the car so i could turn it on manually as i told u i would do and i was instructed as how to do it and guess what it dont deleted - please don't try and work around the swearfilter. DD work lol ............. so no power getting to somewhere from something so now buying a gun had enough ............. my long 1002 mile journey begins tomorrow morning at ten am and im stuck lol so im driving the old girl all the way with my AA card beside me wish me luck and if i get back again in three weeks time i will let you all know ............. thanks for all the help its been very usefull ....... diane (im also thinking about taking up motor mechanics as a job lol)

p.s. its a really old car but i love her dearlly her name is scrapper lol
by the way if you guys have any more ideas before 10am tomorrow british time my email is nickdiane111@hotmail.com and i will check again here later tonight thanks