Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - edisdead {P}
Prompted by the thread "How much oil does your high miler use".

My trusty '96 1.5 lsi auto is about to hit the 100k miles mark. I have driven 83k of them during my ownership since 2002, all on the motorway. During this time I have looked after it with oil changes at least every 6k, usually 5k. Cambelt at 75k, recent exhaust and battery.

The only faults/niggles I am aware of are:
- pads/disks on the way out
- rear trailing arm bushes perishing
- new rad probably needed soon
- drivers electric window gets stuck half way down
- couple of minor rust patches

I have no reason to change the car - I like the way it performs, averages 42mpg, uses no oil, auto box shifts smoothly. Other than fixing the above faults, what should I plan to need to replace in the next 50k miles? What preventative maintenance would you recommend? I guess I really should do the atf. Is the sticking window an MOT issue? Anyone else run one of these up to really high mileage? What faults did you encounter?

Thanks in advance
Ed.
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - Thommo
'I have driven 83k of them during my ownership since 2002, all on the motorway.'

So:

1. Does your driveway exit directly on to the motorway?

2. Do you live in a Service Station?

3. Do you have the vehicle trailered on to the motorway and then drive off from there?

I'll get my coat...
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - Falkirk Bairn
If the auto box has not had the fluid changed - it is probably needing changed - I do not know about the Honda box but changing the ATF @ 40K is recommended in other autos
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - mike hannon
If you run the electric window up and down a few times, while pressing gently against it from the inside, you might find it frees up a bit...
100k seems about the life of a Honda radiator but they aren't difficult to change.
I agree with the advice to change the transmission fluid.
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - Xileno {P}
Try some silicone spray on the window runners. Available in all good car shops e.g. Halfords.
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - type's'
edisdead - have a look at the web site below to demonstrate how high a Honda's mileage can go when looked after properly as you clearly do with your Civic - you have at lest another 200K to go !! - Good luck and I hope you sort all the minor issues out and continue to enjoy many miles of trouble free motoring with the Civic.

www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - Statistical outlier
On Hondabeat: not sure if I believe some of those testimonials: Mike has done 324k miles and is on his third set of tyres. Yeah right.
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - DP
Try some silicone spray on the window runners.

I agree. This was the last resort to curing a window skewing/sticking problem on the Mondeo. Three mo
months on it's still perfect.

About £3 from Halfords for enough to do to about 50 windows.

Cheers
DP
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - mfarrow
There was a TSB for civic (particularly 3-door variants) regarding window sticking/jamming problems. See autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl068d.htm , though it might not be applicable to your older model, though the TSB is quite old (2000).

--------------
Mike Farrow
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I'll check out the window mechanism/rubbers... is this an MOT failure? Should I keep up the 5k oil services or is that wasted on a ten year old car? I normally use National or similar for their cheap semi-synthetic, so it's hardly a great expense. Honda want daft money for items like radiator so I'm checking out ebay. Looks like ATF is next on the agenda...
Thanks again
Ed.
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - Number_Cruncher
>>is this an MOT failure?

No

Number_Cruncher
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - mike hannon
Yes, keep the oil clean. As you say, it isn't a huge expense.
Update.. 103k
After a hairy couple of weeks with a radiator leak gradually worsening I finally gave in and replaced the rad. Rec for "Radiator Experts" who advertise on the well known auction site, excellent service. Did the ATF change at the same time. Nice feeling having the car back in good working order again. I even gave it a wash.
Ed.
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - GroovyMucker
My Accord (2000W) has done 104,000 miles, 93,000 of them since Oct 2001 when I got it. To be honest, I hadn't thought of it as a high miler.

Just reliable, safe, comfortable (but thirsty).

It's that nice warm Honda feeling.

A bit like a trilby.

--
Stevie
Lakland 44-02 Sunburst
Yamaha YTS-23
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - type's'
I think your right groovy - 104K is not high mileage - particularly for a Honda who having now experienced there products for a year or more are IMO justified with their reputation of the best engine builders in the world.

But why is it you do get that warm almost smug feeling when you get inside one - it never happened with my other cars. It's quite sad on my part actually but I do get in each time and think - yes I bought the right car.
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - Gazza
Just reliable, safe, comfortable (but thirsty).

How thirsty?
Honda Civic - 100,000 miles - GroovyMucker
2.0 engine.

28-ish during the week (10 25-mile journeys); 31 on longer journeys.