How do I replace my Impreza? - bradgate
As the price of petrol climbs inexorably toward £1 a litre, I have decided it is now time to part with my beloved Subaru Impreza Turbo. I would very much appreciate the BR's opinions on what to replace it with.

Performance, handling and reliability are priorities. Badge and status are irrelevant.

I drive over 15k miles per year, so a Diesel seems to make sense. If my next car returns 45mpg, i will save £1300 a year on fuel alone. A no brainer.

I don't need a big car, something Golf sized would be ideal, certainly no bigger. Aircon and a decent sound system are essentials.

I would prefer a car still in manufacturer's warranty and with under 50k miles. My budget is approx £10-11k.

I am considering a Seat Leon Cupra TDI.

Any other ideas?
How do I replace my Impreza? - Altea Ego
I would consider no further. Your choice ticks all the boxes.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How do I replace my Impreza? - Wilco {P}
BMW 330d? Won't hit you're mileage and warranty preferences at that price though.
How do I replace my Impreza? - Sprice
Skoda Fabia VRS 130 diesel? Hear these things go extremely quick and return over 50 mpg.
How do I replace my Impreza? - Martin Devon
Skoda Fabia VRS 130 diesel? Hear these things go extremely quick
and return over 50 mpg.

And even better if the chip shop man visits! Why everybody doesn't do it is beyond me.

vbr.....................................md
How do I replace my Impreza? - CJay{P}
BMW 330d? Won't hit you're mileage and warranty preferences at that
price though.

Bradgate says he doesn't want anything bigger than a Golf - a 3 series is one class above.
How do I replace my Impreza? - Rumfitt
>> BMW 330d? Won't hit you're mileage and warranty preferences at
that
>> price though.
Bradgate says he doesn't want anything bigger than a Golf -
a 3 series is one class above.

I was in a similar situation with my Impreza STi and thought a Golf TDi 130/150 would suffice. Unfortunately, as a driving experience, almost everything is well below the standards of the Subaru! Yes, the latest TDIs are nippy and frugal but the handling often falls short. I would definitely only look at 'sportier' TDi variants otherwise it'll be a compromise too far.

The Fabia VRS is a great little car but the engine is noisy and doesn't have sporty sound, it's a little soft handling-wise, and a touch nose-heavy - all these criticisms are from an Impreza owner's point of view by the way :-)

I went for a 330D Tourer and am absolutely delighted with it. Fantastic build quality, lots of goodies and safety kit, a very involving drive, great engine noise and 40-48mpg!

I agree though, something smaller and cheaper may be preferred, but sometimes the best value is indeed the next size up.
How do I replace my Impreza? - bradgate
Thanks for the replies,

Rumfitt - my Scooby is the standard turbo, so a TDI 150 would be slightly less of a step down for me than from an STI, but thanks for the advice.

A 330d does sound extremely tempting. I would have to either stretch the budget or compromise on mileage , or both but it is definitely worth researching.

If anyone else has experience of owning / driving a Leon or Golf TDI 130/150 I would value your views.
How do I replace my Impreza? - George Porge
I have a chipped 115bhp golf TDi fore runner to the 130 (140ish bhp) goes very well, but needs a good suspension kit to handle as they should.
How do I replace my Impreza? - Ian D
I did the same recently, sold my Impreza turbo and went out looking for a replacement, narrowed it down to Golf 130/150 and BMW 320d/330d (is there a pattern emerging here?!)

I went to a few fleet car auctions where Golf 130s were in reative abundance but came back with an immaculate BMW 320d SE saloon which I am delighted with, I drove a couple of Golfs but the BMW is so much nicer to drive. I paid £9100 for a 43k 02 reg silver one, but as has been said I doubt if you would get one in manufacturers warranty in your budget, especially for a 330d which fetch £1.5 to £2k more than a 320d. However a Warranty Direct warranty is below £300 so you can get reasonable cover.
How do I replace my Impreza? - Westpig
Bit dearer than your budget, but brand new........ drove the new Honda Civic 2.2 diesel turbo......... went well, handled well and i was more impressed with it than i'd ever imagined. Even the quirky styling started to appeal after a while.

About £14200 or £14300 at one of the discount places, if you could stretch a bit.

How do I replace my Impreza? - Xileno {P}
There is allegedly a Renault Sport Megane 175 dCi on its way. This is the new 2.0 Nissan/Renault engine with chain driven cams.
How do I replace my Impreza? - A2B
have you thought about either the Octavia VRS or the an A3 1.9 TDI 130 BHP (quattro)?

How do I replace my Impreza? - steveb
I agree with TVM.

A late model Leon 150 TDi Cupra is an excellent replacement - with many options for tuning and suspension modification to make it go and handle better. Check out SEAT Cupra.net if you haven't already.

Be sure to get one for a good price however as the new 170 FR looks to be a worthy successor and will knock the value of the old model. Personally I stil prefer the old model shape and interior (A3 based).

My lowly 110 TDi (unchipped) feels stronger and faster than its specification, and I would have no hesitation replacing it for the Cupra.

Go for a metallic colour like silver, as the black and Extreme Blue (like mine) chip and mark easily.

Steve