Airport security - car keys problem? - henry k
(NOTE FROM HJ: SORRY GUYS AND GALS. HENRY K. STARTED THIS THREAD WITH A SENSIBLE MOTOR-RELATED WARNING. PLEASE RESTRICT COMMENT TO THIS. I AM NOW GOING TO GO THROUGH THE THREAD AND DELETE EVERY POST THAT IS NOT MOTOR RELATED IN AN ATTEMPT TO PREVENT THE WHOLE THING DEGENERATING INTO A DISCUSSION OF AIRPORT SECURITY OR A POLITICAL DISCUSSION THAT HAS NO PLACE HERE.)

Re those who drive to an airport, park and take their car keys with them.

With the current level of security at UK airports, I suspect any fancy car keys with their remote operation , because they have transmitters, will have to go in the hold.

I have a basic key for my Mondeo so that should not be a problem for me.

I assume, once this situation is recognised, that there will be a rush for basic keys else you take a risk that they might not reappear from the baggage systems.
Airport security - car keys problem? - Adam {P}
Just to clarify, electronic car key fobs definitely aren't allowed in the cabin. (I read it before but can't find the link.)
Airport security - car keys problem? - storme
POST DELETED. NOT MOTOR RELATED.
Airport security - car keys problem? - chairmanmatt
Airport security - car keys problem? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Airport security - car keys problem? - Altea Ego
Airport security - car keys problem? - pmh

Airport security - car keys problem? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Airport security - car keys problem? - SjB {P}
Airport security - car keys problem? - Manatee
Unfortunately my key and transmitter are combined - I really don't want to put my car key in my hold bag when I have a couple of days away next week as I will be more or less stranded at Heathrow when I get back if it disappears (which in current circs must be more likely with many more pieces of hold baggage). I will certainly be trying to get a basic key before I go. Alternative is valet parking perhaps?
Can't find where i read it originally but

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778771.stm?ls

mentions that keys are aloowed as long as they aren't electric keyfobs.
Airport security - car keys problem? - Manatee
I can't imagine that means that a combined transmitter and key is OK?
>>I can't imagine that means that a combined transmitter and key is OK?<<

No, I wouldn't have thought so.
Airport security - car keys problem? - Big Bird
I should have been on the first fligth from T4 to Amsterdam this morning.
I bailed out at 8:30 as it was only a day trip and begn to realise we were only going to get 2 hours work over there for many more hours travel.

Electronic key fobs were a definite no no. As were any drink bottles, any books, even papers and magazines were being binned at security.

Back up regular keys will definitely be a good move, one colleague who went ahead to Schipol got there, but his bag, with phone and keys, didn't.

Dan
Airport security - car keys problem? - chairmanmatt
Some private car parks provide a carpark shuttle service to the airport. Usually you have to leave the keys with them, which I was quite hesitant with in the past. This may be one option for transmitter combined keys. They're usually cheaper than airport parking anyway.
Airport security - car keys problem? - Rudedog
Surely a basic key might get you into your car, but the electronic part of the key is the bit that deactivates the immobiliser? So you wouldn't be able to drive it away.
Airport security - car keys problem? - LeePower
The remote locking part is different to the immobiliser.

The chip is hidden inside the key & doesn't need any batteries to power it.

2 different independent systems built into one key
Airport security - car keys problem? - Aprilia
Maybe take a risk and tape the key up behind a bumper or something?
Airport security - car keys problem? - Brit_in_Germany
At Munich Airport, you can deposit "valuables" at a manned counter - they lock them away for you in a dedicated pigeon hole. Don't know if UK airports offer this type of service.

BIG
Airport security - car keys problem? - arnold2
Wonder if this applies even if your key, like the one for my Octavia, just has a battery with a light in it - ie. no transmitter .... ?
Yep - no electric keyfobs. I guess if you tried hard enough you could use the battery in the key to blow something up.
Airport security - car keys problem? - Altea Ego
Its a genuine problem this if its going to become policy. Looking at it from my own viewpoint.

The ran has a combined key as do most new cars. I wasnt even sure the ran had a key hole, so I went to check and investigate. It seems I can lock, deadlock imobilise and alarm the car with remote button or key in hole.
I can unlock the car and gain entry with the key in the hole, but not disable the alarm (which then goes off)

So my solution will need to be a dumb key or two cut to open the door, and hide the remote key somewhere within the vehicle.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Airport security - car keys problem? - rtj70
The "dumb" key for my Mondeo will open the car and gives you a short time to start it before the alarm will go off. Maybe VWs the same? When I had VWs in the past I only had remote type keys so never tried this but never thought I'd have to either.
Airport security - car keys problem? - commerdriver
It will be a problem given the risk of luggage going astray or being delayed. I would expect to do the same a TVM and leave the electronic bit in the car somewhere, don;t know where I stand if the car gets stolen so I will probably look for guidance from our fleet people.
Incidentally the Saab comes with a dumb key inside the electronic one so you can separate them but it works the same as the VW one in that it opens the doors but you need the other bit to switch off the alarm.
Airport security - car keys problem? - Westpig
Get a lift to the airport, even if it's miles away....... do a favour for another family then it's their turn for you... saves you parking costs and the above hoo-hah. I'm sure the topic could be raised with friends/family in enough time to get a system going.

Having lived for many years in the West Country where it was common place to have to do a 400 mile round trip for Heathrow or further for Gatwick it wasn't uncommon for you to be called upon for the airport run (until Exeter & Bristol airports improved), so it can be done.

Airport security - car keys problem? - commerdriver
Get a lift to the airport, even if it's miles away.......

Bit difficult, not to say impractical when it's a regular trip for business and involves very early starts on a working day
be interesting to see how it settles or what way round it is found longer term
Airport security - car keys problem? - Rebecca {P}
I have used Tudor Rose parking at Gatwick and always find them to be reliable (and good value). I think that from now on I will have to remember to book parking a little earlier! I think demand is about to increase!
Airport security - car keys problem? - trancer
They will need a system to accomodate car keys for sure. Maybe a lockbox at the airplane door where you hand in your keys when you board the plane and collect them when you get off.

I got two spare non-electric keys when I got my car, one is a Valet key that will start the car, but can't arm or disarm the alarm (or open boot and glovebox). I also got a plastic wallet key that will only open the door and its this key I will make use of the next time I travel leaving a proper key hidden in the car.
Airport security - car keys problem? - henry k
>>They will need a system to accomodate car keys for sure. Maybe a lockbox at the airplane door where you hand in your keys when you board the plane and collect them when you get off.

Absolutely NO chance.
A landside security facility as described in an earlier posting is the best to expect.
And also leave your mobile phone less the SIM card and rent an unfamiliar phone the other end.
Oh happy days.

This is al minor stuff compared with the laptop problem. Courier a cloned laptop ahead of a meeting?.
Airport security - car keys problem? - mss1tw
This is al minor stuff compared with the laptop problem. Courier
a cloned laptop ahead of a meeting?

There's this great new thing called the 'Internet'.... ;o)