Ford Focus 52 plate - chivz
Hi all.

Hope you can help, I'm new to this forum, but it looks the the place to answer my query!

I have a 2002 "52" plate Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec.

The problem I have is a sort of rattle / knocking noise coming from the rear of the car. It is much less evident on smooth roads.
I suspect it may be one of three things (but I may be way off!):

- the rear wheel bearings have worn
- the rear shock absorbers have worn
- the rear hatch is not tight / or is moving around

The reason I put about the rear hatch is that it seems to drop easily lately as though the gas struts aren't as effective anymore.

Also, with which ever one it is of the above (or anything else!) - how much should I expect my local garage to charge to put it right?

Any help on this knocking noise (and the gas struts/rear hatch issue) very much gratefully received.

Thanks. Nick.
Ford Focus 52 plate - kithmo
You may have answered your own question. The struts may be the cause of the rattle, to eliminate them take each one off temporarily in turn and see if the rattle disappears. To eliminate the hatch (or its latch) close it on some rags to wedge it and check again. Both these problems are very easy DIY to remedy. Also check that it's not the parcel shelf by removing it. Shock absorbers are a possible cause of rattle if the mountings are loose but wheel bearings are more likely to produce a droning noise than a rattle, so I would dismiss them as being the cause.
Ford Focus 52 plate - Galaxy
A few years ago I gained a rattle from the back of my Mondeo, which lasted for about a week.

I eventually found that the problem was I hadn't slammed the hatch hard enough the last time I closed at, and, as a result, it had been rattling as I'd been driving around.

Cured by slamming the hatch shut, the sort of fault I like!
Ford Focus 52 plate - caesar
I used to have a knocking noise that could be heard from the rear of the car.
Drove me mad until somebody posted on ffoc that where you fold the rear seat the locking anchor at the bottom is metal on metal and knocks near abouts all the time.Wrapped a bit of tape around it and problem solved.I think the focus suffers from other rear end rattles so may be of no help to you at all,but nice and easy if it is the seat.
Ford Focus 52 plate - LeePower
Rear wheel bearings are a well known Focus weak spot.

If it has ABS fitted make sure the wheel bearing is fitted the correct way round ( check the colour code) The ABS system uses a hall effect magnetic sensor inside the wheel bearing.
Ford Focus 52 plate - George Porge
Check the jack and spare wheel are secure.
Ford Focus 52 plate - BB
Give the exhaust a shake and listen to hear if it is knocking anywhere.
Ford Focus 52 plate - psi
i had a knocking from my focus, turned out to be one of the plastic mounting clips on the rear plastic "bumper" was missing and subsequently rattling
Ford Focus 52 plate - bell boy
get it on a ramp and get a toffee hammer on all the wiggly bits,most garage workers will let you do this late saturday morning when the gaffers gone off to play golf............