Vivaro 02 1.9 100ps ECU light + speedo problems - paul0202
hi,
i have been having problems with my vivaro 1.9dti 100ps.

the van seems to be hesitating especially in low gears,then has a slow pick up eg:the symptom is as if a car has too much fuel going through?sometimes it will drive ok,but it is dangerous as going onto roundabouts, the van just has not got any pulling power.

also the speedo has stopped working,and as soon as i hit approx 50mph the engine management light appears and stays lit until i switch off the engine and restart and it disapears?

the van seems to drive fine at high speed,even though the light comes on at approx 50mph?
i have booked the van for a tech2 fault test this week,but was wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice before the dealer starts saying it needs a new ecu etc.

would it be worth buying a odb2 disc,i am not sure if it will work with a 2002 vivaro though?
or i have seen the tech2 readers/software for sale.

any advice would be great!

thanks

Subject line brought up o date.

Edited by Pugugly on 03/02/2009 at 17:08

vivaro ecu light + speedo problems? - paul0202
i also forgot to mention that the mileage counter and trip counter have stopped clocking up the miles,they are still lit up on the electronic dash though?
vivaro ecu light + speedo problems? - bell boy
it might be something as stupid as a bad earth in the back lights seing as its a vivaro.......
you really need professional help in my opinion,consider a different van when its sorted....
vivaro ecu light + speedo problems? - paul0202
i know the geabox linkage cable has just been replaced,there was another cable replaced as well which is near to the linkage cable,they look the same but im not sure what the other one is for?

could the garage have disconnected something,near to the cables for this fault to happen?
vivaro ecu light + speedo problems? - elekie&a/c doctor
If the gearbox linkage has recently been replaced,it is possible that the wiring to the road speed sensor has been damaged/displaced.This unit signals the speedo /mileometer on the dash and also the engine control unit.Btw you can put the instrument panel into self-test mode to verify the operation of the gauges.(hold in trip reset button &turn on ignition)
vivaro ecu light speedo problems? - paul0202
thanks for the dash tip.

i tried that and all the needles fly about in sequence,even the speedo works using the test.the dash also displays cal c? must just mean its calculating?

is it worth taking the van to the vauxhall dealers,for a tech2 test? or just try a new speed sensor? where abouts is the speed sensor located?
vivaro ecu light speedo problems? - elekie&a/c doctor
The vivaro is really a re-badged Renault .the engine & transmission are lifted from the Trafic.The speed sensor can be found low down at the rear of gearbox near the driveshafts.It is ususlly a black plastic "tube "type sensor with a 3-pin plug attached.I suspect that a tec 2 or equivalent test will tell you what you already know .
vivaro ecu light speedo problems? - paul0202
thanks,just had a quick look,couldnt see it. i will have to jack it up a little tomorrow.
do you know where the obd connector is located on a vivaro?
vivaro ecu light speedo problems? - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes,the obd connector is located behind a small plastic pull-trim just below the steering column shroud.
vivaro ecu light speedo problems? - Batter5
Hi Paul did you ever fix this problem .... my vivaro does exactly the same ... has had 2 sensors but still U/S Iw wold love to know the answer
Chris
vivaro ecu light speedo problems? - Pugugly
E-mailed him for you, Paul hasn't been around for a couple of years.
vivaro ecu light speedo problems? - Wilko123

did you sort this problem?

Vivaro 02 1.9 100ps ECU light + speedo problems - Wilko123

Did you get this problem fixed i could really do with the help to solve same problem on my van