Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - brg190 pete
So here's the scenario.....

Driving along a national speed limit dual carriageway at 80 in the outside lane. On the inside lane are various lorries, all doing 65 - 70, spaced out at perhaps 200 - 300 yards apart. There are other cars ahead of me in the outside lane doing the same speed as me. I am keeping to the 2 second rule (or more), so they are some way ahead. I don't try to catch up with them as I am happy doing 80, and anyway, there are the occasional speed cameras on this road.

In theory, I suppose I should be pulling into the inside lane after each lorry, then pulling out again to overtake the next one. But I just sit in the outside lane, gradually overtaking each lorry. Why? Well, I know that, if I move to the inside, those behind me in the outside lane will just speed up to close the gap I was maintaining, I will rapidly catch up to the next lorry and then have to squeeze back into the outside lane. So all I do is lose places in the 80 mph queue in the outside lane, and find it difficult to overtake the next lorry.

I feel justified in sitting in the outside lane in these circumstances, and wouldn't have minded if one car behind had got annoyed - but actually about 4 or 5 got irritated at different times, with several tailgating me and two undertaking (one being a Ferrari, who then swerved in front of me to avoid a lorry).

Am I right, or have I turned into one of those dreadful outside lane hoggers who we all despise so much? My wife was with me in the car, and all she says is that I shouldn't have been breaking the speed limit which I don't think is a particularly helpful reply. Driving at 80 in those circumstances seems to be perfectly safe (of course, not if other drivers tailgate / undertake me!)

One other point....I did make a mistake and pulled out in front of a car to overtake a lorry. I wanted to say sorry and so put up my hand when the other car overtook me. Is this the right thing to do? It's just that any hand gesture can be easily mistaken for an insult. What is the best way to apologise?

Look forward to hearing your honest verdicts on my driving......
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - mss1tw
Doesn't sound too bad but if you cause people to undertake or flash you then I guess by definition you are an outside lane hogger at that moment in time.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Altea Ego
An honest Opinion?

Its hard to say without being there and observing but I think this line is quite telling

and wouldn't have minded if one car behind had got annoyed - but actually about 4 or 5 got irritated at different times, with several tailgating me and two undertaking (one being a Ferrari, who then swerved in front of me to avoid a lorry).

I am afraid given that description, and this one

On the inside lane are various lorries, all doing 65 - 70, spaced out at perhaps 200 - 300 yards apart.

then yes you fit firmly into the outside lane hogger criteria

A sorry sign or thank you sign, I always use a flat hand with fingers together.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TVM, thanks for the honest approach. But what would you do? It felt to me that I would either have to sit in the slow lane at the same speed as the lorries or speed up, neither of which I felt happy with.

I think part of the problem is that people just don't maintain gaps to the car in front. While I clearly exceed the speed limit, I always try to maintain a good gap (though, of course, other people see a gap as something to pull into!)

The drivers behind me clearly didn't believe in maintaining gaps and so they didn't appreciate that was what I was trying to do.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Slightly off thread but, this is a major problem in Germany, on the autobahns. There are lots of them but most are only 2 lane. Your choice is to stick in the nearside lane with the trucks or venture into the outside lane and have to drive at 90mph+ the whiles being harried by powerful Porsche, Merc and BMW people, especially on the parts where there is no speed limit!
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - mss1tw
What's the accident rate like on the AB's?
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Actually not very high SFAIK! The Germans drive fast and well but a bit too close. When there IS an accident it is usually a biggy!
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Group B
Sounds like I would have considered you a lane hogger in the circumstances. You don't have to pull in after every truck, but it sounds like once in a while would have been preferable. If you had pulled up closer to the car in front, cars behind would be able to see it was not you holding them up, and would have been less inclined to flash or undertake you. You were maintaining a "2 second" gap; but a lot of drivers think (rightly or wrongly) that 2 seconds is an unnecessarily large gap. Me included, depending on the traffic and road conditions. You say you were comfortable doing 80mph, but the cars behind were obviously not.
My viewpoint on it is that I try to drive with as much courtesy to others as I can, and appreciate it when others do the same to me.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Peter D
It's not YOUR lane so do not judge others. Get out of it once in a while and the 2 second rule is not valid at 80mph. With the cameras you mention when you see one and dab the brakes the frustrated guy behind you is going to in your boot. Regards Peter
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - mr.freezer
The way I look at it is you leave too big a gap on a dual road a lorry may pull out and spend around ten minutes overtaking the other ones. This may be the reason the drivers behind are getting the hump.

If I were behind you I would not tailgate you but I would be close enough to let you know I was there

Personally I find it fun getting tailgated in this situation as I suddenly find myself easing on the gas a bit as they undertake you and if the driver behind the undertaker is of a similar mindset you can very subtely reduce the the impatient persons progress even further
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - rtj70
If I'm in the fast lane and traffic ahead is holding all of us up (but if doing speed limit or higher nobody can complain can they?) then when someone tries to undertake then:

- if safe to leave them to go in front I will do - safer for them there than sat on my bumper - but depends on my braking distance
- if not safe, I make sure they don't get in front and preferably make sure sure they are a fe wcars back - they ain't reducing the size of my safe stopping distance

Speaking as someone who recently got hit frpm behind by an HGV in Italy... I'm all for braking distance being maintained :-)

Once I was travelling on the M6 when the traffic ahead braked suddenly... then I did too because I had to. Driver behind, driving too close locked his wheels and would have hit me if I had not released the brake pedal. So I had to finely judge me stopping safely and someone running into the boot. Thankfully not hit but I think it was a brown trouser moment for the driver behind. I could visibly see he had gone white and was in a panic. Strangely he maintained safe distance from everyone after that whilst I could see him.

Rob
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - PW
Although in your defence sounds like you could have been in a convoy of lane hoggers at the time.

But yes, if people can undertake then you are lane hogging.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - No FM2R
>>if people can undertake then you are lane hogging.

Not neccessarily. Twice I was undertaken this morning by a car that then found he couldn't get back out in front of me because I was following another vehicle and we were both over taking a line of vehicles in the middle lane - which was the reason I wasn't moving out of the lane, I was being held up myself. The first was dumb. The second time he did it kind of summed him up.

I wasn't lane hogging, he was a prat. He's got about 400 brothers as well.

On a slightly different point there is one type of driver that makes me laugh. I amoften at work late and so will be travelling back on the M40 around 10pm. At that time in the week there's not a whole lot about. What is about is the trucks in lane 1. Much as I could pull in and out of lane 1, I don't. I settle in the middle lane at 80mph or thereabouts. If a ton of stuff comes down behind me, or there isn't a truck in sight, then I will move into lane 1.

Every now and again somone will turn up a mile or so behind in my rear view mirror. Obviously he can seem me in themiddle lane. He is making "good progress". Inexplicably he will now come right down behind me and sit inches from my bumper flashing his lights. Why ? There's nothing else around, he could have easily moved over a lane, why make a big point of it.

But what makes me laugh is that he will move out to lane 3, then cut across me to lane 1, and then back out to lane 2 to go past a truck. Obviously he thinks he'll cause a thought process in my mind along the lines of "oooohhhh, I see, you're supposed to move over there." As opposed to me actually thinking, "the middle lane is mroe restful, you're ignoring the speeding laws by about 30mph, I'm sat in teh middle lane, what gave you the moral high ground ?".

If I'm coming along and there's somebody in the middle lane - who gives a stuff just so long as a jam is not forming in lane 3 ? I just move over and go past them.

Large parts of this world need to get over themselves.

M.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - daveyjp
After reading from paragraph 3 I'm off to the bunker! Someone has admitted being a middle lane hogger. Let 'middle lane hogger thread war' round 78 begin :-).
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - David Horn
< >

Hear, hear! I agree with Mark.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - massey
Quote; 'A sorry sign or thank you sign, I always use a flat hand with fingers together'

Very unfortunate that Hitler used this sign and Churchill gave the 'V'
I would do whatever I would regard as reasonable if I was the following vehicle.

If there was a reasonable distance between the trucks I would pull in to allow stuff to get past. I would pull in from time to time anyway irrespective of the length of the gap out of courtesy. I would ignore the impatient jerks.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Cliff Pope
If you are overtaking other vehicles, i can't see how you can possibly be called a lane hogger. You have a right to overtake them, and a right, and indeed duty, to give yourself plenty of space in which to do so. Just because someone behind you wants to go even faster doesn't mean you should clear the road for him. It's a warped definition of lane hogging to say it simply means occupying a bit of road that someone else would rather have.
Lane hogging would be going at the same speed as the lorries, but staying out "just in case".
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Stuartli
I would normally be with you on this one but, if the lorries are "200-300 yards apart", that's quite a distance and sufficient to be able to move into the left hand lane and back out again when the opportunity presents itself.

If the lorries are doing the speeds you say and you are doing 80mph, then your are in reality only overtaking them at 10 to 15 mph....:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
If you were doing 90 you would still eventually get someone tailgating you, there's always someone who feels they need to be somewhere before you. As a case in point I've seen someone use a layby on the A1 to undertake two wagons when the road was down to one lane due to roadworks.

If the lorries are as apart as you say and there are speed cameras why not reduce your speed to 70-75 until you catch the next wagon and overtake correctly? Less stress for you and increase in journey time is minimal.

At 80 you are breaking the law (even though the chances of being caught are virtually nil), a defence that everyone else was doing it won't wash with the police or magistrates.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - NARU
On my advanced driving course the police instructor gave a useful rule of thumb. If you could move over for more than 10 seconds then you should. If moving over would mean you coming back into lane 3 in less than 10 seconds stay where you are.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Group B
If moving over would
mean you coming back into lane 3 in less than 10
seconds stay where you are.

I normally drive using my own judgement, but I quite like that as a rule of thumb. Unfortunately from the way a lot of people drive, I dont think many have heard of it. And the problem is I think there are many drivers that are not very good at judging speeds of other vehicles, and underestimate the time it will take them to reach and pass the next vehicle. Obviously whether this is a problem or not depends on how busy the traffic is.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Nsar
Primera Man, full marks for the honest question, but the honest answer is yes, you are hogging the lane.

You are consciously impeding others when moving in easing up a touch whilst in lane 2 to allow the faster cars behind you to pass before moving back out would remove the problem and not cost you anything.

If I'd been behind you and you had moved over you would have got a wave of thanks/respect from me for having weighed up the situation and done something about it.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Hamsafar
Lorries in the inside lane will only do 56mph due to limiters fitted by EU law, not 65-70mph, so I feel you have a speedo which reads way to high. While I do have some sympathy, the trouble is the highway code says you should move over to allow faster traffic to pass, and also you should leave a gap between you and the car in front, this is a problem, as it's not apparent that the car in front knew you were faster moving, sometimes you have to approach people from behind so that they move over and if they don't you drop back. The people behind you expected you to move over so that they could approach the person in front of you at a higher speed so that they would move over.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Dynamic Dave
On the inside lane are various lorries, all doing 65 - 70,

Thought all lorries had speed restrictors, limiting them to a max of 55mph?
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Red Baron
Once upon a time I used to do as the author of this thread. I have stopped this.
I now keep to 70 - 75 mph on motorways etc as this gives me more time to move over in between lorries to allow the 80mph-ers to speed past. It also makes for more relaxed driving as I don't continually have to accelerate and then brake as the 80mph traffic concertinas along the outside lane. My fuel consumption has also dropped some 15 per cent.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - paulvm
Agree totally with Red Baron. I now do this and life is so much sweeter. I try to anticipate gaps so that I can move back to the inside and leave the others to speed on their way. After all going 10% faster for a 45 minute journey might only mean a difference of 4 minutes on the road, is it really worthwhile?
Sometimes travelling at around 75 on motorways I feel as if I am standing still as the average speed going past must be at least 85-90. Why do they do it? It must be a macho thing but really it is just pathetic. Leave them to it and keep out of the way.
Although I had a classic this morning on the dual carriageway section of the A303. I was passing a series of lorries doing my usual 75ish in the outside lane with cars in front and behind me all doing the same, everyone happily moving along, when I noticed in my mirror a silver Vectra cutting in and out of the lanes behind until he undertook the car behind me using a small gap between lorries then flashed me to move over. Difficult - as I was alongside two lorries at the time with another car in front, so at the first opportunity I slowed down and into the next lorry gap. He raced past me and proceeded to make progress in the same fashion until he disappearred. This person was driving very, very fast and dodging in and out of cars and lanes, you could follow his progress ahead by the flurry of brake lights! Why does someone create the potential for multiple accidents like that?
Life is too short, keep out of trouble and just keep out of the way of drivers like that.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - stevied
"A macho thing"? No, I don't think so. You might well be right in cold mathematical terms, but then why are German autobahns de-restricted? Do all Germans have size issues? I doubt it. On an empty motorway (which does happen outside of this septic isle) three hours averaging 30 mph faster would take you a lot further. If I had a calculator, I could even tell you how much further! : ) And as for fuel consumption, that's people's choice..... a drop of 10mpg might be worth it to get somewhere quicker, and they may not ALWAYS drive that fast.

The trouble with this country is a puritanical belief that speed is "naughty". We've been browbeaten into it, like we get browbeaten into everything.

IMHO!

And yes, the Vectra man IS an idiot, I am not condoning idiocy, just saying that in an ideal world I wouldn't have to feel guilty about getting a wriggle on if I so choose.
Interesting debate! Not sure what my view is.... I understand No F2MR's point about empty motorways, but I also understand why people behind him might think he has just fallen into default middle lane mode. Unfortunately a lot of people who do this are the Daily Mail middle of the road (literally) brigade who do it on full motorways as well as empty so people tend to get annoyed with them whatever the road conditions. I wouldn't say "people need to get over themselves", though... surely it's better that people ARE thinking about their driving? Perceived self-importance works both ways, many of the "impatient jerks" might feel the same about the driver in front who appears to be deliberately ignoring them.

And I think the point about timings made by Marlot is excellent... it wouldn't take long for that to become second nature. If everyone drove like that it's be bliss.

Just reminded me of the Bentley Continental I saw this morning. Doing less than 80 (crept past me at my normal 75ish). Had seen him crawling down the outside lane of the empty dual carriageway behind me for a few minutes before he caught me. Eventually got caught by a Scenic who sat about 2 cm from his rear bumper.

PS No FM2R- I do agree with you in that if there is a lot of relatively close together traffic in lane 1 I will stay in lane 2 to pass them without veering in and out of traffic. If there is traffic approaching me, I will get out of the way to avoid being a rolling roadblock. Equally, I will also move over a lane to allow people to move out to pass slower traffic in front of them. Don't get thanked for it very often, but is what I would like other drivers to do for me- so I do it for them.
Nicely put PW! I will endeavour to thank people who do things and hopefully they'll carry on doing them.

Bentley drivers though eh?! Was it the new Conti or an older one?
Was the new Conti- Flying Spur 4 door one. Really does look similar to the Chrysler 300c at the back. Strangely- first time I saw a new 2 door conti- thought it was a Chrysler Crossfire from the rear.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - paulvm
Agree with you stevied about driving differently on empty motorways, especially outside of the UK, where it is safe to go more quickly where conditions allow. Also agree with your comment about speed being naughty here! It is awareness that is required, at any speed and making allowance for the conditions, which is why Marlot's comments make a lot of sense.
>>It is awareness that is required, at any speed and making allowance for the conditions, which is why Marlot's comments make a lot of sense.>>

The maxim "Speed in the right place at the right time" was always emphasised to me from the time I first took to powered two-wheels, never mind four.

There's a very good case for encouraging people to first take to the roads on a bicycle and then on a low powered two-wheeler - the experience gained in judging weather and road surface conditions is never forgotten.
are the Daily Mail middle of the road (literally) brigade who do it on full motorways as well as empty>>

I take great exception to that..:-)

I've found that, even on quite busy motorways, travelling in the left hand lane and moving out as and when necessary occupies probably 75-80 per cent of any journey at speeds at or (a little!) above the speed limit.

Mind you, it might just be me, but standards of driving in the North seem considerably more courteous and relaxed than in the south. Obviously you do get the occasional clown but you ignore them.

Travelling on southern motorways, in contrast, is a real eye opener with regard to the quite remarkably low overall standards of driving exhibted in all too many cases, some of it prevalent at very high speeds.

Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Tomo
Me too!
I often take exception to me as well, I wouldn't worry..... : )

I would agree re the North comment EXCEPT the M62 in Yorkshire. The inside lane appears to be invisible there, and I am not being pedantic I am talking about people carriers doing 50 in the middle lane with NO traffic in the inside lane. Baffling. I do a lot of travelling up there late at night (nothing sinister, my g/f lives in Leeds!!!) and it's cringingly bad at times. Yet, as you go down to Manc/Cheshire, the driving improves... odd.
>>I would agree re the North..>>

I've got several pals who are traffic cops. They've told me in the past that they drive in the middle lane more often than not because if they have an emergency, such as a burst tyre or another vehicle swerving suddenly, they have much more room to manoeuvre.
Call me a pedant (pedant!) but.... if the motorway's empty a vehicle can't swerve at you, and if it's full, then the room for maneouvre is taken away, surely?

Sounds like more numpty numbskull thinking to me!!! Why, if this behaviour is so "acceptable" do we have signs up on the m/way saying "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING"? Good to know the police ignore them too.
Dont see how the Police would have more room in case of emergency. If in lane 1 and tyre goes they have one lane to the left (hard shoulder) and tow to the right. If in lane 2 they then have two to the left, but only one on the left- and then the central reservation.

Surely if in lane 2 and have an accident sending them into central reservation hard enough or in wrong way, it could either send debris or their own car itself into opposing traffic?
>>if the motorway's empty a vehicle can't swerve at you>>

No, but if they are on emergency call and suffer a burst tyre...:-)
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - artful dodger {P}
Personally I hate having anyone close to the back of my car, especially at speed. So I will always pull in an allow any traffic to pass. Sometimes this might mean I have to slow down slightly, but at least I know I am in control of my little bit of road space. I can control the safety zone around my car and hopefully avoid all the idiots who may not be able to react if I touched the brakes. The amount of time I loose on a long journey is only a few minutes. I always believe it is better to arrive on time, rather than dead on time!

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - 10 Jags
Nope - I get out of the way when someone is steaming up my backside. My golden rule is if theres going to be a plod in an unmarked car (Skoda RS in Hants) looking for speeders then make sure someone is going faster then you.

The M25 is the worst with where you have 3 or 4 lanes empty and the outside line choc a block with numbties each 3m away from each other....... or in the 5 lane section where you have someone doodling along in lane 4 and you have to go from lane 1 to 5 and back again just to get round them - grrr.

Toodle pip
Have noticed this where they've brought in crawler lanes on the M5 near me. Just moved all the muppets from lane 2 to lane 3 with 2 clear lanes to their left now. Nice.

Do try and stay calm whilst driving, but just can't resist using lane 1 to undertake row of cars in lane 3 where lanes 1 and 2 are empty. Makes me laugh and keeps me sane.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - andy76
I guess from your description and others posts it would appear you were 'hogging' the lane.
However, considering you were already doing 80mph and the limit was 70mph there should not have been anyone up close behind anyway for it to cause problems to!

My reaction to anyone tailgating is that if I am doing the legal limit then they can just wait. Nobody should be going faster than that anyway.

As for lorries, I know they theoretically have a 56mph limiter but I have very rarely seen one travelling that slow.

Andrew
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - BazzaBear {P}
I guess from your description and others posts it would appear
you were 'hogging' the lane.
However, considering you were already doing 80mph and the limit was
70mph there should not have been anyone up close behind anyway
for it to cause problems to!
My reaction to anyone tailgating is that if I am doing
the legal limit then they can just wait. Nobody should
be going faster than that anyway.

But, unless you're an on duty policeman, it's absolutely none of your business what speed they're doing, and not your job to impede their progress.
Why do you care that they're going faster than you wish to? Why do you feel that you have to stop them?
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - madf
"My reaction to anyone tailgating is that if I am doing the legal limit then they can just wait. Nobody should be going faster than that anyway."

Hmm

An "I'm all right, stuff everyone else reaction" imo.

madf
it's absolutely none of your business what speed they're doing, and not your job to impede their progress.

But if you are overtaking a stream of wagons doing 56 and you are doing 70 in the outside lane in order to overtake you are not policing other traffic, you are driving within the legal limit. As I said earlier you can't defend a speeding charge by arguing you were doing 120 because someone behind you was.
But refusing to move out of the way when a gap appears (which is what Andy implies he would do) is another matter entirely. I never suggested he should accelerate to match, I suggested he should get out of the way when the opportunity arises and not try to press other people to his own opinion of a reasonable speed.
>>and you have to go from lane 1 to 5 and back again just to get round them - grrr.>>

Why?

If there's no traffic in between then you cannot be considered to be undertaking by remaining on the left hand lane.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Westpig
It's really quite simple......

space to move into nearside lane and wouldn't have to immediately pull out again, then move in there. Highway Code says you should, experienced drivers would prefer it if you did and the traffic flows more freely.

Let's face it........ one of the major reasons why people don't .....is they either haven't the inclination or confidence to get back out again, so they selfishly stay where they are.

I tend to drive quite swiftly and always have done, nevertheless there is always someone faster, why on earth should i hold them up, what problem is it for me to get out of their way, even if i have to dive in somewhere and make more effort than normal.

For those that want to drive slower...be my guest..... those that want to go faster...be my guest... i'll try to keep out of all of your ways

I can see why a completely empty road, might make you hang out there a bit longer, particulalrly at night as it can be safer....but if someone approaches from behind, show some manners and pull in again........they won't be expecting you to do it, if there's something there, will they?

see it's simple.....
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Lud
Cool westpig.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - kithmo
Typical lane hogger's excuse "I don't move over because I might not being able to get back into the second lane" (or third on the motorway). The reason you lane hoggers (you know who you are ;-) ) cannot get back in is because you have created a bottleneck due to hogging the lane in the first place. If every one moved over as soon as they could, then the following traffic would not all be bunched up and they would be able to get back in, because there would be bigger gaps. I prefer to move over and have my own little bit of frustration at having to slow down to the speed of the traffic in the nearside lane, until there is a gap, rather than winding up five or ten other motorist behind me and having five or ten times more chance of an incident or accident with one of them.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - wotspur
If your doing 80, I'd have no problem, but if there was nothing in front of you and a queue of cars behid - move over
My biggest grievence are those in the outside lane overtaking numerous slower moving vehicles, with nothing for 200 yards in front of them, doing 60-70, then when they get past them, immediately speed up to 80 and continue in the outside lane.
Why speed up afterwards
One of the commonest muppet techniques on the motorway, pulling out to overtake in front of someone going quite quickly, then immediately losing 10 mph or more, only to speed up once past. Sends my blood pressure sky high. Oddly enough German mimsers do it too.

If I were plod I would keep an eye open for these people, pull them and deliver sound talkings-to or even on the spot tickets. It's time for some of that on the motorway.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Manatee
I have every sympathy with you Primera Man. I think you are in the right, but unfortunately that puts you out of step with the majority of (frankly incompetent) motorway drivers who think an adequate gap is a space. These nits also have a reflex that , if you are in lane 2 and obviously needing to pull out to overtake, makes them rush forward to make sure they are ahead and leave no gap that anyone could possibly move out into. Judging by the responses here, quite a few BRers might be associate members of the 'get out of my way club' too, which shows how hopeless your cause is.

They cannot see that what they are doing - 'queueing' in lane 3 - is no different to what you are doing except that you prefer to leave an adequate gap. They are simpletons who know no better, and are collectively the cause of almost all motorway accidents (which as any fule no are caused by by inadequate gaps).

However, right as you are, I think you need to develop another strategy - either close up a little bit, or pull over now and again, or just reconcile yourself to travelling more slowly as I have.
Nice high horse you have there, but no-one suggested he was wrong to leave a gap. You don't believe he is wrong to stay in the overtaking lane when there's plenty of space on the left for him to move into when someone behind is clearly travelling faster than him?
Sorry Bazza, you've missed my point think I think - Primera Man was keeping station with the cars in front, just as thse behind him were - the only difference being he had left a proper gap. Presumably if he had been following 50 feet behind the car in front of him they would have been happy? The following drivers obviously didn't think he should leave a gap, and I can clearly infer that there are respondents who would have taken a similar view.

As I say, and I think a lot of people will have noticed the same thing, the kind of driver who rushes past and into the gap tends also to close up so you are forced to slow when you reach the next lorry seconds later - the kindest thing one can say about them, if you think I am being unkind, is that they aren't giving much thought to their driving or to anybody else.

I don't think PM is the inconsderate one here - if that were the case he would scarcely have made the original post.

Anyway, he asked for opinions and I chose to be supportive - obviously that means the impatient drivers were being unreasonable in my view. If that's a high horse, I'll ride on, thanks.

Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - wemyss
I agree that Primera is doing nothing wrong. If you follow the simple logic that he should be moving into the inside lane in these circumstances so should every one behind him be doing the same thing.
We have all seen the ?this is how it should be done? man who buzzes back and forth between the outside lane into the middle and then the nearside on the motorway and then repeats it all again seconds later to demonstrate.
If everyone was doing this we would have carnage.
As he states he was in an a 80 mph queue and the ones behind would simply drift past him leaving him in amongst the lorries with the queue alongside him simply having benefited by moving up one place.
Would the first one past him move also into the inside?.
Wow, amazed by the number of replies. This is clearly a topic which stirs the emotions!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I do still think that I was in the right. I only stayed in the outside lane because, if I moved to the inside, I would lose my place in the 80 mph queue. It's not like those behind me would have been able to go much faster, as all that would have happened is they would have moved forward one car (plus the big gap I left). I certainly do not subsribe to the view that no-one should go faster than I do. As far as I'm concerned, I go as fast as I feel it is safe to do so. If others want to go faster, that's up to them. Personally, I would rather such drivers were in front of me rather than behind.

But there's no point in asking for your verdicts if I then ignore what you say. Based on a count of those who have provided an opinion, 11 say I was lane-hogging and only 3 say I wasn't. So I guess I must have been! In my defence, this seems to have been a one-off, so perhaps it is not too late for me to reform.

Perhaps the most important point was that, even though I may still think I was in the right, I did cause others to drive dangerously. That might be because they are poor drivers, but it was still me that caused them to drive badly.

There is a parallel here to the way my father drives. He drives so slowly but believes he is perfectly safe. Of course, he is really an accident waiting to happen, as all the drivers behind him bunch up, get really frustrated and try and overtake. I don't want to be compared to him, so I guess I had better change my ways.

On a similar road in future, I think I would move over more and just accept that I will get there slightly slower. Better that than to get there stressed or perhaps not at all.

One final point - I do think I am normally very considerate and always move to the inside lane where I can. This seems to have been a one-off for me. I wouldn't want to gain the reputation on here as a dreaded outside lane hogger, or I might just have to change my profite and re-register as someone else. Perhaps the very fact that I am willing to question whether I am a 'hogger' is enough to prove that I am not. I was clearly well aware of the traffic behind me. The worst hoggers, of course, are those that just sit there in the middle or outside lanes completely oblivious of any traffic behind them.

I'll just go and make that call to OLHA (outside lane hoggers anonymous)......
>>I'll just go and make that call to OLHA (outside lane hoggers anonymous)......>>

There were also what the RAC used to term CLODS (Centre Lane Owner Drivers' Society)...:-)
Fair play to you PM. I will make a special effort to thank Primera drivers who move over.
there seems to be two slightly different threads here...

If you're in a queue of traffic, all of whom wish to travel faster but are patiently waiting for the road to clear ahead, then you're unlikely to pull in, because lets face it the chap behind might well come past you at that point, but ultimately wish to travel slower thay you, so you end up overtaking him again later.

The car at the head of the queue takes some responsibility for this and even if they are travelling firmly at the speed they wish, if they are only overtaking someone at a 1-2 mph quicker pace, then a brief period of extra speed will be helpful and courteous to those behind. This would also prevent the 'serial undertakers' who try to swoop at speed, then force their way back in again, when their way is ineveitable blocked.

Other than that, the previous comments apply i.e move over to the left.

I can see Primera Man's difficulty, as by leaving a fairly large gap, the people behind assume he's not that bothered with his progress and wish him to pull over out of the way.

It would seem that a middle road is req'd... not too close, but not too far back....

a lot of driver's have got into the habit of approaching the car in front (when there's a reasonable gap ahead) a little bit close to start with or even slightly overlapping, so the driver in front can see you in his offside door mirror, which indicates your desire to press on, then dropping back to a safer zone and being patient. Then if you are the car in front it's decision time...if you want to press on yourself, then ignore it, if not let them through.

Not in the highway code and debatable if wet, foggy etc, but seems to work

"On a similar road in future, I think I would move over more and just accept that I will get there slightly slower."

You will be really really suprised.

I do a regular 150 mile journey M25/A1

It takes me 2 hours 30 minutes if I stick my toe down and do up to an indicated 80 mph (77mph actual) where possible

It takes me 2 hours 35 minutes if i stick the cruise control on and do a maximum of 70mph indicated (66 mph actual) where possible.

To increase your average speed by a bit, you have to significanly increase your peak speeds, and all the agro stress and fuel that goes with it.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - The Lawman
Primera man, I sympathise. I know exactly what you feel in this situation.

If you pull in behind a lorry, you know that you may have the devil's own job getting back out again, and this will be because of the discourtesy of those who are behind you.

On a two lane road, the "stress free" way to drive is often at 56 mph in the slow land and 90mph in the quick one, which obviously a lot of people do not want to do.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - AN Other
I'd go along with folks who suggest just easing the speed back a bit. It's amazing how much more relaxing driving at 65- 70mph is than 75 - 80mph.

Two other benefits:

1. Noticeably lower fuel consumption;
2. Easier lane discipline: you can actually use the inside lane for long stretches, and time your pulling out into middle lane gaps to cause minimum inconvenience to others.

The extra travelling time is negligible, as one of the OP's worked out, and you get there in so much better a mood!

Re: the question, yes, I'd say that's "lane hogging", or whatever you want to call it. I can see all PM's points, and he's not wrong as such; he'd just have an easier and safer life if he just let those people past who want to go faster, even if that meant losing a few seconds himself. Life's too short to be in one of these guys' accident - pull over and think about something you really enjoy doing or are looking forward to!
my old gran used to say " i'd rather be 5 minutes late in this life, than 5 minutes early in the next"..... shame i never took any notice of her
I wish I'd listened to what my Grandmother used to say.
Mine made sure you did, she mostly spouted rubbish
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - andy76
I think I may not have made my comment clear.
The OP was saying about people tailgating, despite doing 80mph.
I was simply say that in that situation I would simply make progress as required and not pull in until I had cleared the traffic I wished to overtake rather than pulling into a narrow gap which is probably as unsafe as the idiot riding on my bumper.
I would not and do not block people intentionally, however if more people did stick to the speed limits there would be less issues with lane hogging and tailgating anyway.

No it isn't my job to slow people down or impede their progress, but neither should I feel pressured to pull over or speed up simply because someone wants to travel faster than the legal limit.
No it isn't my job to slow people down or impede
their progress, but neither should I feel pressured to pull over
or speed up simply because someone wants to travel faster than
the legal limit.

Spot on! Anybody who chooses to speed should make their own arrangements and defer to the rest of us, not the other way round. Power to the plodders!
Manatee, you are wrong. The road belongs to those who want to get on with it, not people who are just occupying space and worried about their rights.

Either get on with it or employ a chauffeur who can.

It is the job of the authorities to prevent people speeding, not ordinaryy citizens who feel resentful that others speed. Just keep out of the goddam way. It isn't difficult if you aren't in a hurry.

Passive aggression is more dangerous than exceeding speed limits. Discuss.
Manatee,

No one minds the plodder, each to their own...just make sure pull in a reasonable manner, then we're all happy. It's only when plodders deliberately hold others up there's an issue.

Some plodders seem to have an evangelical desire to police the roads themselves and make everyone else conform to their 'norm'.

If you don't do that and drive courteously, would actively get out of the way of a faster driver.......then great, we're in agreement.

Sadly i'm often impeded by someone doing 1.5 mph faster than the vehicle their overtaking which i consider to be selfish (other than lorries etc, who can't help it). A gentle increase by 6-7 mph wouldn't hurt and would be courteous, as would making the effort to pull in to let me through.... most do, some don't.
Agreed Westpig - hand on heart, I frequently speed up to complete an overtake in good time, and I get far more pleasure from assisting with the general flow than making it difficult for anyone on purpose. I also feel good about keeping calm, which cannot be achieved by setting out to be confrontational or obstructive.

I do think that the pressers-on (and I am one occcasionally) should however be considerate too - as TVM pointed out, it costs very little time to plod, so the deferring for a few seconds is really not going to make any difference at all.

Sitting on the fence again Lud? I think I share your well known dislike of mimsers but there are [speed] limits.

If only it were true that the more aggressive getters-on-with-it were the safer drivers, but nobody really believes that apart from themselves, in their fantasy Grand Prix. Fact is, it can be very dangerous to be significantly faster than surrounding traffic and I wouldn't be surprised if this contributes to the number of "I don't know where he came from" accidents involving bikes. (Yes I have been in one, I was on the bike.)

Not resentful of speeders, and am occasionally one myself on the motorway, but I don't expect anyone travelling at 70mph to inconvenience him or herself to allow me to do it.

I don't know where you seemingly got the idea that I advocate preventing speeding, when plodding I'll actively look for a chance to move over for you when it's convenient (for me!). I 'm feeling quite saintly in fact, having only this morning made way for the phallically challenged young thruster who goes past my house flat out every morning in his Volvo pram (it looks like one, and it goes too fast to read the badge) before braking heavily for the bend 200yds away. I try to make it look good though - his fragile ego might not survive if he knew I let him win!
Deep sigh. How do we get from talking about "speeding" (IMHO on an empty motorway there's no such thing, just people driving at different speeds) on the motorway to talking about some idiot driving like a muppet on an urban road.

TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

Can we not have an adult debate about something without mimsers always taking the easy way out and bleating "but the speed limit is 70"?

WE ALL KNOW THAT. The debate is NOT about that. Speeding is not a sin. FACT. You won't end up in hell because you exceed 70. If everyone learnt to drive properly then it wouldn't be a problem, slow drivers could mince along in their own unskilled, unchallenging way and everyone else could drive properly and SAFELY.

I don't expect anyone of Anglo-Saxon descent to understand any of these arguments as we're all pre-programmed ot feel guilt about anything and everything, so the idea of driving in a fast and competent manner just activates all our "but it's naughty" buttons.

Sigh again.
Deep sigh indeed Stevied. Bleating? Do they mean me? You'll just have to trust me when I say I do prefer to make progress, and I don't feel comfortable holding people up, and I'm really not that narrow minded. I might even speed occasionally.

But can't we have an adult debate without pretending that we who consider ourselves to be above average drivers (100% last time I checked, funny that) are justified in choosing whether or not we obey particular laws. If you're going to speed, just get on with it quietly, don't overdo it, and don't pretend you're some sort of superior being. Try telling the copper that pulls you over that you weren't really driving too quickly, unlike those other mimsers you're just "fast and competent", and I'm sure he'll send you on your way with a conspiratorial wink instead of a fixed penalty.

Equally, nobody should feel that they are a good driver just because they stick to the speed limits. Driving at any speed deserves full attention and safety is absolutely paramount, regardless of speed.

Happy motoring all - I'm off to Norfolk tomorrow, now that will require patience and self-control!
Sitting on the fence again Lud?

LOL, sorry Manatee, must have misunderstood you...

As a person who hates being baulked for no good reason, I always feel very bad if I get in the way myself (for no good reason). Actually this thread in various forms keeps coming round.

Must try harder not to rise to bait.
Manatee, if you were ambling at your leisure down a very narrow footpath and some hikers came up behind you at a brisk pace, you'd step to one side wouldn't you? You wouldn't point out that there was a passing place up ahead and would they mind waiting till you get their at your pace.

nice one.......... i understand Golf has a similar principle that some choose to ignore...... what we are really talking about is common sense and manners isn't it.
"get their?"

I meant "there".
Manatee, if you were ambling at your leisure down a very
narrow footpath and some hikers came up behind you at a
brisk pace, you'd step to one side wouldn't you?

Of course I would.
Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - the_bandit
Well for what it's worth here's my take on this.

I don't have any problem with cruising at 80mph with a group of other cars and as you say and frequently overtaking lorries in lane 1. However, if someone gets behind you who's wanting to push 80mph+ and pulls up close then you should move over and let them past. Your all breaking the speed limit at the end of the day and in a dog eat dog world the faster car should be allowed past.

If I were behind you and had previously been cruising at 90mph and you refused to move over, I would undertake you as well although I wouldn't be annoyed about it and I wouldn't expect you to be annoyed about it either.

Regarding the mistakes whilst on the road I do exactly the same as you and hold up my hand to the other motorist. As long as it's the palm of your hand and not two fingers how can anyone mistake this for an insult?

Am I an outside lane hogger - verdict? - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Reading this little lot makes me glad I'm not a regular motorway user any more!

I know PrimeraMan's tried to end the debate, but I just wanted to echo a handful of the other posters. Personally I don't think he was outside-lane-hogging, but I know when I've been in a press-on mood the car in front becomes the focus of my frustration. We all know we should leave a 2-second gap, but how many of us really do?

A key point that someone picked up is the perception of trucks doing 65-70. They're on calibrated speed limiters, suggesting PM's speedo is over-reading by more than 10%. I had a V-reg Primera that indicated 80 at a GPS 72, makes a heck of a difference.

The solution, as suggested by one or two people, is cruise at 70 and below. You find Lane 1 becomes more useable, you have more time to plan lane changes, and you hardly ever touch the brakes. If I really must pass in Lane 3, I'll speed up for a few seconds to get the job done. And the difference in fuel consumption (from trying to cruise at 80) on my car is of the order of 20% !!!

As for Manatee - where did he say he deliberately holds others up, or 'polices' others?
can i ask you all a favour....... could you all please experiment with the driving at 65-70 mph in the inside lane....... on tues morning/early afternoon... if you use the M1,M6, M74, M8.......... thankyou ever so muchly

All reasonable drivers have all these experiences - being baulked when speeding, getting trapped in the middle or nearside lane by eager beavers, etc. Sometimes we all have to wait our turn to ratchet things up a bit in the deep waters of the outside lane.

We British are a little too inclined to mistrust the cars behind if we get out of the way, because we are a little too inclined to take advantage when someone changes from outside to middle lane. So we hog the outside lane. It seems fussy to us to go in and out (those of us who are actually awake and aware of what is going on behind us, I mean).

In Belgium it is the law that you have to go back into the cruising lane after overtaking, so people do it all the time, fussily. They are used to it.

Perhaps we should become more used to it.