mk2 polo petrol pump leak? - steveo3002
mk 2 vw polo 1988..old style mechanical cam driven pump

i replaced the fuel pump last year as it was damp...just latley the car has stunk of fuel , but i could never find a leak....well i found that the pump leaks like crazy for about 1 min then stops

is it normal for a pump to fail after a year?

could i have mistreated it in someway to cause a failure...or any other car issues that could cause it to leak?

oh and is it normal that it leaks for 1 min the drys up??
mk2 polo petrol pump leak? - bell boy
those old polo pumps used to leak into the sump with frequency......
get another one.....again........ :(
mk2 polo petrol pump leak? - George Porge
My old Cavalier had a plastic spacer between the head and the pump to keep heat away from the pump / petrol. Does the polo have the same? Is it the correct thickness for the pump being used as some are of a different thichness.
mk2 polo petrol pump leak? - Civic8
My old Cavalier had a plastic spacer between the head and the pump to keep heat away from the pump / petrol.

Didnt stop em leaking though
--
Steve
If you fitted the wrong thickness spacer ie too thick like I did after a top end overhaul the cam didnt reach the pump and the car didnt start. Spent 3 hours checking / rechecking everything before I want through the old bag of rubbish / dirty rags / old gasket set to find the original spacer and the car burst into life.

If the spacer is too thin then the pump piston will bottom out and damage itself, the point I was making
so any ideas why it would leak for a minute or so then stop?
Does it stop, or continue to leak inside the engine as oldman states? Has the oil level risen? Does the oil on the dipstick smell of petrol?
no obvious signs that its gotten into the oil

when i start the engine it has a fast drip externaly , then it dries up after the first minute

i thought they either leak or not?
Its leaking, the diaphragm is split, new pump needed.

Check the fuel lines are clear to the tank (not collapsing internally or kinked) and the needle valve in the carb float chamber is working as it should. Make sure the petrol cap vent is ok.

Can't think of anything else
mk2 polo petrol pump leak? - Xileno {P}
Also remove the air filter housing to expose the hidden rubber fuel pipe underneath. Often overlooked on a service. Pipe may be perished.
its got new pipes on it

i just cant figure out why it leaks then stops?? not that its a big deal getting a new one, i just like to understand what went wrong