2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - farmerhuw
My girlfriend has a 2000 1.4 16 valve VW Polo (75 BHP) The car has covered 63,000 miles and I think it is due a timing belt change, however looking in the manual it suggests the belt is merely checked at 60,000 miles.

Does anyone know the correct time to change the belt?? I presume most are around the 60,000 mile mark???

This 1.4 engine isn't a chain cam engine is it??

Many thanks

FH
2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - Xileno {P}
Does anyone know the correct time to change the belt?? I presume most are around the 60,000 mile mark???

Yes, I believe so.

This 1.4 engine isn't a chain cam engine is it??

No
2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - piuzzo_steve
It's usually 60k or six years - whichever comes first. Either way yours needs doing - it's better to get it done 10k too soon rather than 10yards too late because of the obvious damage a snapped belt can do.

Go to a few independent garage's for quotes as the real cost is in the labour (it take 2-3 hours) and you may save yourself a few bob. The job is pretty straightforward for any experienced mechanic. I had a belt changed on a VW Golf recently and it cost £325. A Polo may be a little cheaper.

You're best to get the water pump done at the same time too generally as they're close to each other and the extra £30odd may save you another £300 labour charge in the future.
2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - Dynamic Dave
It's usually 60k or six years

I thought VAG recently lowered it to 40k or 4 years

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37741
2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - piuzzo_steve
Blimey - I never knew that. Thanks. At least by recommending earlier changes there *should* be less problems (Renault should def do something similar from what I hear).

I think (hope) that's for newer models than Dynamic Dave's Polo.

My 51 plate Leon tdi, for example, was definately 60k or five years as I had to change mine recently (I checked with SEAT direct).
2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - Xileno {P}
"...Dynamic Dave's Polo."

LOL.
2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - farmerhuw
Many thanks for this and all your replies. I will now phone around and get some quotes

Cheers

FH
2000 polo 1.4 timing belt - bell boy
make sure you are specific on the engine type there are 2 different ones....