Land Rover - martin_d12
I want to swap my Citreon Synergie for a Land rover Discovery as we have just bought a caravan and need some decent pulling power. ( No jokes about caravan owners please)

I am looking for a 2.5 Diesel but they are as rare as rocking horse excrement. Is there much fuel consumption difference between the 2.5 diesel and the 3.0 diesel?

Any one got any tips on Land Rovers or anything I should look out for before Start to harrass poor car salesman?

It will not be a new one by the way looking around £4 - £5000 for one

Cheers

Martin

Land Rover - ChrisMo
I want to swap my Citreon Synergie for a Land rover
Discovery as we have just bought a caravan and need some
decent pulling power. ( No jokes about caravan owners please)

I am looking for a 2.5 Diesel but they are as
rare as rocking horse excrement. Is there much fuel consumption difference
between the 2.5 diesel and the 3.0 diesel?

It'll be a 2.5 diesel. There isn't a 3.0 diesel, but there is a 3.9/4.0 V8. Without a shed on the back expect late 20s to early 30s mpg from a tdi and late teens/low 20s for a v8.

4 to 5 grand is going to be late 300tdi series 1 disco or early td5 series 2 disco, look for corrosion especially boot floor, inner wings and sills.

If you know very little about them, get hold of a couple of the land rover mags, land rover world, monthly, owner international or enthusiast (plenty to choose from) and have a good look through the classifieds to get an idea of what to expect.

Chris
Land Rover - Screwloose
Martin

You're blithely walking into a minefield. That money will get you a nice one - or the biggest money pit on wheels. Do not even think of buying one without taking a real, horny-handed, Land-Rover expert along. [Not some nerd from the AA's vehicle inspections.]

I'd look for a mint 3.9 V8 and then fit a sophisticated multi-point LPG conversion from a well-recommended installer. [DO NOT fit a crude single-point LPG system on an injected V8.]
Land Rover - Collos25
The Synergie will more than likely be a better towing vehicle than the land rover it might not get you of muddy fields but it it will be much better on the roads.As Screwloose says they can me a money pit and most second hand ones are.
Land Rover - Gromit {P}
Martin,
If you want a jeep, does it have to be a Land Rover? An Isuzu Trooper would happily tow anything you throw at it and is a reliable as you like. Just have a look at the CBCB and heed HJ's advice on buying one!

- Gromit
Land Rover - martin_d12
Thanks for your replies.

Does not have to be a land rover discovery.

Have been looking at import Mitstubishi Pajero and anythink alse 4X4 really.

Are imports ok? you seem to get a lot of car for your money?

Thanks

Martin
Land Rover - 659FBE
The detail design and quality of any Land Rover that you could buy for this sort of money is very poor indeed. I believe that Ford have managed to make considerable progress in these areas, but this would be too late for you.

Almost any Japanese offering would give you higher reliability and lower costs (look what it says on the back of all the third world 4wd pickups full of soldiers which you see in the news). Just watch out for rust, although Land Rovers are by no means immune to this.

Money pit is a fair summary.

Land Rover - hm

personally I would not by an import........heard top many bad rumours...

Land Rover - Screwloose
personally I would not by an import........heard top many bad rumours...

Couldn't agree more. Lovely when they're going - absolute nightmare when they fail.
Land Rover - stuartl
I wouldn't touch an import with a bargepole.

I used to live next door but one to a garage that just sold imports and knew of many problems, not least when they were raided by Police and Customs as all the cars were suspected as either stolen or being sold as newer cars than they actually were (Jap models are updated way before the UK equivalents).

Despite what people say, insurance is generally more expensive and many companies wont offer cover as some parts differ to UK spec vehicles. Service history is non existant.....hence the term 'grey import'....something that on it's own would make me run in the opposite direction.

.......Wait for the replies from people with imports that are ok!!!.......