6 monthly oil change. Too often? - misterbarbel
I've always changed the oil and filter in my year 2000 Golf TDI every 6 months (approx 5000miles) , always using the correct VW spec oil and OEM filters. Recently I read a couple of threads where folks stated that changing the oil so frequently was unnecessary and that the interval could be pushed to 8000 miles without any additional engine related wear.

So am I overdoing the oil changes and therefore spending money for no good reason? or should I stick with my regime in the knowledge that my engine should last past 100K?
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - GregSwain
It's mainly to do with the quality of oil nowadays. A lot of older cars on the road were designed when mineral oil was standard - when I had an old Nissan Sunny I read that the oil needed changing every 6 months with mineral oil, or every year with semi-synthetic oil. With fully synthetic oil becoming more affordable, we're seeing many cars now with 2-year service intervals (BMWs, Renaults etc etc..)

If you cover under 10,000 miles a year, most cars will only need the oil changing annually, but for the sake of around £20 for a DIY oil-change, you're not going to be out of pocket. If you're doing mainly short runs, I'd stick with the 6-monthly oil changes. However, I tend to be a cheapskate with my oil-changes - £3 filter and a £15 can of oil is all I bother with. As long as the oil is the correct viscosity your car should be fine.

One money-saving tip.... VW-branded oil filters are made by Wix, which are often among the cheapest at independant motor-factors.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - nick62
The genuine VW oil filter for my Passat (from a VW dealer) is almost HALF the price of the Halfords "pattern" one!!!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - glowplug
If you're doing it yourself then why not? It won't cost much and should/could increase the engine life. I change my cars oil twice a year, late autumn and then early spring. However I do only about 8K a year and it only costs around £18 for filter and oil (recommended semi synth) from GSF.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - robcars
Why not, its not expensive and will pay dividends if you are keeping the car for expected high mileage.

Just 1 comment about oils, synthetic or semi synthetic. They are not designed for longer life, they are designed for diferent engine types and conditions, especially turbos which get very hot and need oil instantly at start up. synthetic oils tend to "cling" to surfaces beter thus providing that protection. Exceeding the due mileage of the oil whatever the type will still result in earlier problems. There are now longer life oils available but in my opinion they are the biggest waste of money. They still trap moisture and particles in the oil, if they are working correctly, but why would you want to carry it round the engine for longer?
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Roger Jones
I thought one of the factors driving the development and marketing of synthetic oil was to extend change intervals, but I may be wrong. One thing I do know is that the manual for my twin-turbo MB does not mince its words about the need to use fully synthetic oil and to change it at no more than 6000 mile intervals.

I continue to believe that pushing oil beyond recommended change intervals is unwise, to say the least, and that sticking to the schedule suggested by HJ makes sense.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Sprice
Another factor to consider is how long you intend keeping the car. If you intend to keep it until it dies, then by all means, change the oil every 6k, otherwise, if you only intend keeping it until it gets to 60k or so, then the future longevity of the engine wont be your concern!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - nortones2
Other than the engine makers and the oil assemblers, no-one has presented data on the efficacy of oil changes sooner than the car makers guidance. Six monthly changes may be necessary, if short trips are the norm. Otherwise a waste of time, oil and money. In my opinion only.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Railroad.
I change the oil & filter on my 1994 Astra 1.7DTL every May and November. This may well be a contributing factor to why it still starts and runs perfectly well after having done 202,000 miles.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Peter D
OP, Man after my own heart. If you mant the prove just leave the drained oil in a can for 10 days then drain and look at the crud in the bottom that is no longer in your engine. 'Magic'. as Selwyn Froggit used to say. Regards Peter
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Civic8
Really down to what you are comfortable with.Some dont like changing oil /filter at correct times-miles or at specified time limit-others like to change within mileage/time period given.

years ago it was pretty much do as stated,where if you did not, engine failure was on the cards,
certain engines still are, but are treated as the owner thinks is correct unless new and under warranty(in which case the service is presumably done to man spec)after this certain owners still do as they please taking no notice of man spec.

Dont see so many engine failures now as you did in 70`s/80`s unless oil change was never done.or a severe problem with engine that has nothing to do with oil change
--
Steve
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - wemyss
Due to frequent trips to Cyprus over many years I know many taxi drivers and always have a chat with them about their cars.
There is a definite rivalry amongst them on having more miles on their own vehicle than others and they must be about 99% Mercedes.
Many of them boast of having 8/9 hundred thousand miles on the clock and I always say you mean Kilometres. This always provokes a ?look at my speedo doesn?t that say miles ?.
Anyway they all change their oil at mileage?s we wouldn?t dream of, usually at 3000 mile and some much less.
And this is despite their engines running in a hot climate and no cold running.
I recall one old driver chortling in glee that his nearest rival in Limassol had his engine give up whilst his was nearly at a million and the only item changed was his waterpump, or so he said !. I asked him which oil he used and he said always Castrol.
One thing they all say in common though is that Mercedes aren?t as good as they used to be.

6 monthly oil change. Too often? - misterbarbel
Thanks for the replies folks, some interesting reading there. I intend keeping my car for a good while yet so I think I'll be sticking with the 6 monthly changes.

Cheers

Misterbarbel
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - DP
I have always adopted a 6 month or 6,000 mile policy regardless of the recommended intervals. For what it costs and the time it takes, it's hardly a major inconvenience. A genuine Motorcraft oil filter for my Mondeo and 5 litres of Ford oil costs me twenty quid and the job itself takes half an hour. including 10 mins to get the undertray on and off the Mondeo, and 10 mins having a fag and a coffee while the sump drains. The Fiesta is quicker because there's no undertray and the oil filter is much easier to get at.

I daresay the new oils are better and that they probably are good for much longer intervals, but for me, the peace of mind is worth £40 a year and an hour of my time.

Cheers
DP
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - kithmo
Ford Oil & Filter for £20 ! where??
I Paid £8 For the Filter (paper element) and £32 for 6L of Ford Formula E for the Mondeo TDCi a month ago at the dealers.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - robcars
I'm the biggest hater of main dealers and I keep getting told they are cheap too. I have never found it to be the case. Probably depends where you are in the country?

Thats another reason why i prefer to use my local good motor factor who always sells top quality product at the right prices; not to be mistaken for the cheap factors who sell any brand they can find!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - royl
I think DP has the right approach. Until recently,I ran a much loved Fiat Uno with the 999cc Fire engine. So far this has been the simplest to maintain,most reliable, and cheapest to run car I have owned.

I used 10W-40 semi-synthetic in its early years, changing to 15W-40 when it got to 6 figure miles and eventually used 20-50 towards the end which came at 202,394 miles.

The only thing I did not change was the filter and oil interval-strictly every 6000 miles.

Royl.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - jc2
A 4.5 l. can of Formel "E" is just over £10 at our local Ford dealer.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - PeterRed
I've had some interesting exchanges on the VWvortex forums about this very subject :
forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2849550&postid=3...3

It appears that our American cousins change oil very regularly indeed. 3000 miles with synthetic oil seems usual and there appears to be a whole industry involved in the analysis of used oil. Horror was expressed at the idea of 10000 miles. I was questioning why VW USA recommend 6 monthly/5000 mile oil changes whereas VW Europe seems to encourage 24 month/up to 20000 miles. VW aren't alone - Toyota and Ford also have vastly different servicing regimes. I've concluded that it's a mixture of culture and the company car industry over here. Still strange though.

For information, I change it 6 monthly myself out of habit. I always use synthetic and genuine filters Can't say that I've ever run a car beyond 120k though which does make me wonder why I bother.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Bill Payer
I've concluded that it's a mixture of culture and the company car industry over here. Still strange though.

The 'culture' thing is right - there isn't really a company car industry in the US in the same way as there is in the UK.

It used to said that oil quality in the US was lower than in Europe, but I find it hard to believe these days that (for example) Mobil 1 would be significantly different in different parts of the world. What is different is the price - 5 US quarts (same as a UK Gallon) of Mobil1 in Walmart is about $20.
Oil changes have been so cheap in the US that some dealers will do a between services oil change as a courtesy.
Its a waste to change every 6 months, unless you are doing very short runs, where frequent OCI are sensible. The irony is that those who use the car where feet would suffice are unlikely to change the oil at all! Oil analysis is used by many truck companies: 60,000 between oil changes is not unusual. The more enlightened owners across the pond also question the frequency of their 3000mile oil changes, but back up their position by oil analysis. I'd suggest there is no evidence that the wear rate is lessened by changing frequently, where the vehicle is not under severe service: in fact the chances are that unnecessary changes introduce unwanted debris. Occams razor applies:)
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Cliff Pope
in fact
the chances are that unnecessary changes introduce unwanted debris. Occams razor
applies:)

"one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything." - Occam's Razor.

Don't you mean Morton's Fork? "Your car is wearing out very quickly, you ought to change your oil more frequently. "Your car is lasting very well, you ought to keep it that way and change the oil more frequently." Either way, the oil manufacturer wins, like Cardinal Morton.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - AlastairW
Ford Oil & Filter for £20 ! where??

National Tyres last time I used them. And yes, it was the right oil/filter. And you get clubcard points too!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - LeePower
Peugeot say change the oil & filter every 18.5K miles or 2 years whichever comes first on my 206.

Theres no way im leaving oil in the engine that long.

I change the oil & filter ever 6.2K miles.

My parents Mondeo is lucky to do 8K miles in a year but it still gets a yearly service.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Casper
I do about 9k per year, and have noticed that the engine is MUCH quieter after the annual oil change. I plan to have an intermediate change in future
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - DeepBlue
My previous B6 Audi A4 had 100,000 miles on the clock when I sold it. It was on the variable servicing regime and went up to 24k between oil changes. Never missed a beat - not a single engine mechanican problem whatsoever.

My previous 2000 (W) Golf 1.9 GT TDi (115PS) was the same - I sold at 100,000 miles - standard time & distance regime, oil changed every 15k - not a single engine mechanical problem whatsoever.

I would *never* bother changing more frequently than the manufacturer intervals (I've got better things to do with my time & money!). I never keep my cars over 100k miles, as too many other things start wearing out and costing money (clutch, exhausts, starters, alternators, steering racks, etc) so why should I bother investing time and effort into trying to make the engine last longer? So what if the engine goes pop at 150k wheras more frequent oil changes would have made it last to 170k? It's the new owners problem not mine! :-)

And before anyone starts bleating on about the moral implications of that, just remember that every lease company on the planet adopts the same approach.

A friend of mine had a Honda Civic from new. In the 8 years he owned it it never once had the oil changed! (in fact he only ever topped it up when the oil pressure light came on!). Apart from sounding very tappety, it still ran fine. (though I must admit I personally wouldn't have bought it from him!)
Interestingly, was down the pub last night and happened to be talking to a car rental company proprietor who has ran a fleet of a cars and light vans for many years - so basically someone who has a lot of experience on how to get the maximum life out of a car.. He typically runs his cars up to 100,000 miles and only ever does oil changes every 15,000 miles* and has never had any engine wear-related problems as a result of that.

He laughed his socks off when I said there's people out there that still change their oil every 6k nowadays.

*=(he ignores manufacturer stated service intervals for oil & filter changes as warranties aren't valid for cars used as rental cars anyway)
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - piston power
it probably dosen't take very long to reach 100,000mls with a hire car maybe what 3yrs?, however for somebody who does 8,000mls a year stop start journeys there will be condensation building up so lower intervills make sense? when i used to repair/rebuild forklift trucks the company i worked for changed the oil every 4,000mls diesel or lpg engines and those were lasting 250,000mls before any major work was needed!
end of the day it's up to yourself i don't think £15.00 every 6 months will kill my pocket and would feel much happier knowing fresh oil is there, but thats my opinion!!!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - mgbv8
Oils have vastly improved since 60s

www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000346479.cfm?x=b11...w

tinyurl.com/yzk4x9 Link to a pdf document on www.bp.com/ shortened as was screwing up the page width of the site - DD

Mobil 1M mile test
www.mr2.com/ARTICLE/Mobil1.html
Real life testing
neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Most US Synthetic oils are Group III mineral oils and not PAO, quality viscosity improvers are difficult to source in US, and due to CAFE low energy conserving oils are often used. Testing has shown even Mobil is using Group III in US despite their objection to Castol calling Group III synthetic.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - PeterRed
Thanks mgbv8. This makes very interesting reading - the 'Real life testing' article particularly.

As I've said earlier, I tend to change my oil & filters twice yearly at about 5-6k miles. I use full synth in the Passat 1.8 turbo and semi-synth in the Zafira 2.0 DTi and genuine filters. The oil tends to be Comma or Halfords stuff. I've adhered to this sort of schedule for the last 20 years on all my cars, mostly out of habit and the 'feel -good' factor I guess. Perhaps I should reconsider as I can't imagine that I'll ever run a car past 150k miles. Mind you, the Castrol long life oil is horrendously expensive when I've seen it in VW dealers - £50+ for 5 litres.

Your comments about oil quality in the US might explain the vast differences in manufacturer servicing recommendations across the Atlantic.
You should be able to double your intervals (i.e. 12k) using the same oils (i.e. not OEM long life stuff) unless you use in extreme environment.

Neither of those engines are particularly hi-tech and need anything special....

6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Aprilia
Interestingly, was down the pub last night and happened to be
talking to a car rental company proprietor who has ran a
fleet of a cars and light vans for many years -
so basically someone who has a lot of experience on how
to get the maximum life out of a car.. He typically
runs his cars up to 100,000 miles

So he runs a car rental company with cars doing up to 100K !! I wouldn't be keen to rent off him them. I use loads of rental cars and seldom see one with more than a few 1000's on it.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - madf
We have owned a Peugeot 106 diesel from new and 44k miles - in 13 years. Average journey length 1 mile. Only warms up once a week on a 5 mile journey. Year in year out. A real engine killer..

Oil and filter change every year semi synthetic . And that is it.

Oil consumption between changes nil. Engine untouched - except cambelt changes . and it's a 1.4 diesel - the less reliable one!

We drove a Mini estate that way as well.. Apart from a decoke a similar story. (and that was 1978 to 1992) but using a normal mineral oil as synthetics not readily available then.

So my believe is that annual changes are Ok even on short runs (and remember oil quality 15 years ago was much worse than today's

One point is that in both cases antifreeze was changed every two years or every 5 in the case of OAT specification. I reckon many engine heating and gasket problems are due to gasket or head corrosion caused by weka antifreeze mixtures leading to rapid corrosion - of engines or radiators or both. And how many owners of a car 6-10 years old change the antifreeze every two years?

(Both the above cars orginal radiators were/are in excellent original condition :only changes were hoses and the odd Mini thermostat...)
madf
"So he runs a car rental company with cars doing up to 100K !! I wouldn't be keen to rent off him them. I use loads of rental cars and seldom see one with more than a few 1000's on it. "

Erm.... and why's that then? Would you not drive a car with more than a few 1000's? Sorry - I really don't understand what your point is...

I've used loads of rental cars and have seen many with up to 100k on them. Only exceptions are the big chains like Hertz and Avis as they're owned by manufacturers (eg Ford & Vauxhall) and change their cars at 10-15k to supply their "approved used" car schemes. Pop down to your local Ford dealership and most used cars up to 2 years old are ex-Hertz rental cars. (although the salesmen almost always come up with some baloney like "they're ex-Ford management cars" or "demonstrator cars".)

Most independant rental firms keep them until the 100k mark, as once a car has been registered to a rental company, it's second hand value is trashed anyway so they may as well get some value out of them. And as has already been stated, they clock up 100k in just 2-3 years max.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Aprilia
I've used loads of rental cars and have seen many with
up to 100k on them. Only exceptions are the big chains
like Hertz and Avis as they're owned by manufacturers (eg Ford
& Vauxhall) and change their cars at 10-15k to supply their
"approved used" car schemes. Pop down to your local Ford dealership
and most used cars up to 2 years old are ex-Hertz
rental cars.

Hertz are not part of Ford, they are owned by a consortium of private equity companies. Avis (and Budget) are owned by Cendant. They keep the cars for typically 6 months and about 12k mi. They get the cars at a big discount and make a lot of their money by releasing them back into the used market for more than they paid for them. They always service them to schedule. Private customers can buy the cars directly (e.g. for Hertz ring their Banbury office 01295 667000) and they are not a bad buy at all. A rental history certainly does not trash values - they are quite sought-after by the trade, contrary to what many seem to think.

I have never seen any rental company that keeps cars to 100k mi (possibly some truck rental companies do). This must be a very small back-street outfit. I would defintely not want to part with my own money renting a car up to three years old with 100k on the clock that had not had a full service. Seems a very poor way to run a business to me.

Oil does shear down. Typically the valve gear imposes the biggest load on the oil (shear). Big-end and main bearings do not normally suffer if the oil is kept filtered because they are hydrodynamically lubricated. Its the cam and lifters that suffer - cam wear and sticking lifters. I have seen a number of high-mileage VAG cars that have been on variable servicing where the car sounds like a helicopter because the valve gear is clattering away. Timing chains are also susceptible to degraded oil, so if you have a car with a timing chain always change the oil regularly.
I certainly would not go with the 3000mi changes, but a change every 12000 miles at least - its not expensive, especially if you buy from factors and don't pay through the nose.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - mss1tw
Big-end and main bearings
do not normally suffer if the oil is kept filtered because
they are hydrodynamically lubricated.

What does that mean Aprilia? Over my head but interesting!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Number_Cruncher
I hope Aprilia doesn't mind my attempt in answering this one.

Hydrodynamic lubrication is where a load bearing oil film is developed purely by the relative motion of the two parts. All that is needed for hydrodynamic lubrication is two parts with the right relative geometry, some oil (the pressure doesn't matter much), and sufficient relative speed.

For cylindrical bearings, when they are rotating and carrying a load, the shaft doesn't run central in the bearing. As the shaft rotates, it "pulls" the oil around the bearing, and the oil pressure is naturally increased in the narrow part of the bearing. The oil pressure varies around the bearing, and the higher oil pressure in the heavily loaded area of the bearing carries the load. It is possible to estimate the minimum oil film thickness in the bearing as a function of load, oil viscosity, and bearing speed. As long as the oil filter can trap particles smaller than this minimum oil film thickness, there should be no metal to metal contact during running.

The necessary geometry is one where the oil is "puled" into a narrowing gap, this enables the pressure to build. Note - there doesnt need to be an oil pump for this mechanism to work. The lubrication mechanism was first discovered by Beauchamp Tower during an investigation into steam engine bearings, which were bearing running in an oil bath, with no pump. The maths of this system were first dealt with in any detail by Osborne Renolds as part of his investigations into fluid mechanics.

So, a well designed hydrodynamic bearing always has an effective oil film there is no significant wear during running. During starting and stopping, you do get some contact, but that's true for all the running surfaces.

Becasue there is more intermittent relative contact for parts in the valve train, the conditions for hydrodynamic lubrication never really get a chance to establish, and so there is more contact, and hence more wear in these areas.

There is a related bearing, called a hydrostatic bearing, which does rely on the oil pressure, but this needs very high oil pressures and this isn't used in car engines.

Number_Cruncher
Hertz are not part of Ford, they are owned by a
consortium of private equity companies.

Ford still have a majority interest in Hertz
A rental history certainly does not trash values -
they are quite sought-after by the trade, contrary to what many
seem to think.

Nonsense. Glass's online even has a -ve value adjuster for "rental, private hire, ambulance etc"

I have never seen any rental company that keeps cars to
100k mi (possibly some truck rental companies do).

I have. Several in fact.
This must
be a very small back-street outfit.

No - not at all. Don't assume....
I would defintely not
want to part with my own money renting a car up
to three years old with 100k on the clock
that had not had a full service

Yes, you've already said that but you (still) haven't said why?. Also where have you got the idea that they weren't serviced properly from?. All that was stated was that they were oil-serviced every 15k, and not in-between. Many manufacturers have in excess of 15k intervals these days.

Seems a very poor way
to run a business to me.

Yes, servicing a car according to the manufacturer recommendations sounds really daft. Much better to spend twice as much on servicing by doing unnecessary interim services isn't it. Most businesses succeed by spending money unnecessarily don't they! What school of business did you attend?
I have seen
a number of high-mileage VAG cars that have been on variable
servicing where the car sounds like a helicopter because the valve
gear is clattering away.

I've OWNED (note : not "seen") several VAG with high mileage, that have been on variable servicing, and none of mine had that issue. Can only assume there must be some other cause.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - top mechanic
NO there is nothing wrong with doing that mate leaving it to long will hurt it more than doing it more early than it says in the book!! specially with it being TD note wrong with that mate !!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Navara Van man
Every 7 thousand.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - mgbv8
Engine bearings and the piston mostly operate in the "hydrodynamic lubrication" region, where a thick film separates the moving metal surfaces so that there is no chance of them coming into contact. When the pistons are momentarily stationary, however, the layer of oil covering them can be similar in thickness to the surface roughness of the components. In this "mixed lubrication" region, the metal surfaces intermittently come into direct contact. If the thickness of the oil film is much smaller than the surface roughness then the metal surfaces rub together repeatedly - this is known as "boundary lubrication". Contact between the cams and the tappets in the valve train span the mixed and boundary regions. Anti wear additives such as "ZDDP" are added to oil as a last barrier as well as an anti oxidant. However mineral oils also rely on plastic ploymers for viscosity which breakdown during service and also temporaly shear.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - mss1tw
Thanks guys!
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - doctorchris
Nobody has mentioned this but if there is a sump plug washer, try to fit a new one at the oil change, they are cheap and this can prevent a nasty oil leak.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - henry k
Nobody has mentioned this but if there is a sump plug washer, try to fit a new one at the oil change,
they are cheap and this can prevent a nasty oil leak.

Unless you have a Focus. The washer is NOT available on its own so it is a new sump plug as recommended, IIRC £3.5
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - caesar
Not quite right that the washers are not available. Two of the six fords that are local to me sell just the washers for 25p each.
Or if you have a ford that cant supply you with just the washers you can get them off ebay for around 4 for £3.50.
Sorry got ir wrong,5 washers for £2.99 posted.
If they're just copper, anneal the washer by heating to cherry red, then allow to cool. Standard practice on copper gaskets for the impecunious.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - henry k
Not quite right that the washers are not available.
Two of the six fords that are local to me sell just the washers for 25p each.
Or if you have a ford that cant supply you with just the washers you can get them off ebay for around 4 for £3.50.

>>
Perhaps things have changed since I last bought said sump plug from a long long established Ford spares garage that I totally trust having dealt with the same owner for 30+ years.
I would expect a neoprene washer of that cross section to be more than 25p.
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - Dalglish
Hertz are not part of Ford, they are owned by a consortium of private equity companies.

ford sold off hertz comparively recently. for all i know, the sale terms may have included "cheap" terms for access to fords for the rental fleet.
Avis (and Budget) are owned by Cendant.

really? is that so? tell us more. remmeber we are talking uk, eurpoe, global.

Better just make this clear im not talking about the mk2 focus.
If we are talking about the same focus why would you expect a washer the size of a 1p to be more than a few pence.Next you will be telling me they charge you more than a quid ten for the scuttle panel seal(which leaks anyway until doctored).
6 monthly oil change. Too often? - 007
Those, who like me, always read threads on the subject of oil changing, may also enjoy reading about the experiences of Honda owners in the USA here: www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php

My Honda handbook says 'Change the oil and filter every six months if doing short runs' so mine are being changed tomorrow.....but not by Dealer who last year quoted £63 and no doubt this year would ask for more!!