Customer Care - type's'
I have just been doing some work with some people (sorry cannot be more specific on the web) on why Japanese Companies (regardless of product or service type) are so successful and profitable.
The tools and techniques they use are very clever.
I saw actual documents from a car maker that listed all the key CUSTOMER requirements and then listed all the Car functionality that needed to be built in to meet what the customer wants.

This led to some discussion from Lexus owners in the group as to how well they were looked after by the Company.

1st individual was emigrating from the USA to UK. They got a good buy back price and so sold back to the delaer. the dealer subsequently offered to drive the family to the Airport to catch their flight - knowing they would never get business again. Guess what they drive in the UK ?

A colleague considered dropping his 5 series company car to buy GS300. He test drove the Lexus for the weekend and when he returned his company car was fully valeted - with no subsequent pressure to buy the GS. As it turned out he stuck with the Comapny car option (Lexus not on the list).

Also I remember a friend who pulle dthe garage door down on th eboot of his IS200. Took into the delaer for repair. They quoted him a price but when he picked it up it was done FOC.

No wonder they win Customer staisfaction surveys every year.

Customer Care - picnic
There was a piece on the local news a few years back regarding Lexus.

Local couple brought a LS and when they got home, found out it would not fit into their garage. Too long.

So they took it back to the dealer to try and replace it with an IS.

Not what they wanted, but better than their other options.

Dealership told them to keep the LS and paid to have the garage extended themselves. A cost of nearly £2k.

£2k seems a lot, but the dealership got loads of free publicity out of it.
Customer Care - henry k
A few years ago I attended a conference on customer service where several companies were identified for different types of good service.
Lexus was one of them.

In the US a customer?s LS400 was due a service.
He phoned and asked when they could fit it in for a service.
The reply was ? No sir, when would it be convenient for you??
? Well it is my mobile office and I do not get back til late on Friday and I am off again early on Monday?
?That?s fine sir. What time would it be convenient for us to collect and return it??
They collected it as arranged and loaned him another LS400
It was returned serviced, cleaned, and a full tank of gas plus a bunch of flowers for his wife.

Now obviously there may have been some extra to pay for this level of service but how nice is this approach rather that a sucking of teeth and a long lead time that I hear of in the UK.
Customer Care - type's'
I agree - this is obviously a company that can see by offering a few customer delights in the short term - it will ensure long term customer loyalty. That way they know they will have business in the future and spending a few quid on flowers or collection is nothing compared to their long term business security.
Thats how they look at it.
Customer Care - Pugugly {P}
Guess what they drive in the UK ?

A Mondeo Tdci ?
Customer Care - type's'
Guess what they drive in the UK ?

A Mondeo Tdci ?

Err - actually yes that is correct !

Only joking.
Customer Care - SjB {P}
Not quite a garage extension free of charge; but outstanding none the less: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=34...4