Wakefield/Snetterton route - borasport20
I'm going to have a marvellous day next wednesday - Wigan, Wakefield, Snetterton and back, and the little matter of the best part of a days work in the middle.

The first part is obvious, but the RAC and AA websites give wildly different routes - RAC goes 'cross country', 218 miles, 4hrs 56, and the AA goes straight down the M1 and up the A11, 248 miles, 4hrs 32

Any recommendations, alternatives, or up todate info from our man on the ground ?

ta

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Wakefield/Snetterton route - Statistical outlier
Try the transport direct website, it takes into account normal traffic volumes on the roads when planning. Can be very helpful.

tinyurl.com/n56mt
Wakefield/Snetterton route - The Lawman
Well, I live about 3 miles from snetterton, so I know the ground, as it were.

nine times out of ten, it pays to take the motorway/A11 rather than going cross country.

It is pretty much true that to get anywhere at all from Norfolk, you have to go to cambridge..
Wakefield/Snetterton route - Round The Bend
I live about 10 miles from Snetterton. Agree with Lawman and the cross country A17 from Sleaford must be the dullest road in the country.

The final stretch of the A11 from Barton Mills to Elveden can be slow but I'm pretty sure you'll be OK on a Wednesday.
_______
IanS
Thank you chaps. my knowledge of the area dates back to being at UEA and going down to snetterton to watch Will Gollop in the rallycross, or marshalling on the 'Abels of Watton' RAFMSA Alnite - does it still run ?

--
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Wakefield/Snetterton route - Round The Bend
I don't know about the Alnite but you'll find a few changes to the track approach. All dual carriageway and decent access now.
_______
IanS
sadly, very sadly indeed, I'm not going to the track. I'm spending nine hours driving 500 miles for the sake of spending a few hours in a customers' warehouse

:-(

--
www.mikes-walks.co.uk