Replacement particulate filter for C5 - machika
For anyone who has a PSA HDI that requires a replacement particulate filter at some stage, make sure you ask for an exchange unit. For our C5 it is around £139, plus a gasket costing about £11. If you get a new one, it will set you back more than £400 (just for the part), and the dealer won't be likely to tell you about the exchange unit, unless you ask about it.
Replacement particulate filter for C5 - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am a long way off needing one of these, I hope. I was quoted £700 fitted for a 110bhp 307. There is something the dealer can do called a 'Forced Regeneration' and I was led to believe that they could be flushed with water(?!) In any event that is a useful tip as the full cost is a poor return for saving a few £s a year on the Road Tax!
Replacement particulate filter for C5 - Xileno {P}
And something to check when buying second hand...
Replacement particulate filter for C5 - pmh
Does the MoT test now do a high accuracy check for modern diesels or rely on the old style test which at best was fairly described as crude. Will it fail an HDi with a particulate filter problem?
When Cats were first introduced manufactureres held people to ransome but it did not take long for cheap pattern parts to become available.
--

pmh (was peter)

Replacement particulate filter for C5 - Brit_in_Germany
I thought the forced regeneration was like setting off a themonuclear bomb inside the exhaust - a bit like a self-cleaning oven. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_Particulate_Filter

BIG
Yes it is! There was a thread here which described how a forced regeneration in one car melted the bumper of another car parked behind it! I hope the parent car's underside was VERY well insulated! Luckily I am 50K miles off needing this item and I may not live that long!
The new filter was fitted yesterday and I am glad to say it seems to have resulted in an immediate improvement in fuel economy. After the 12 mile journey home (on mixed roads), the computer read out was over 41 mpg, which it has never achieved before.
Do you mind telling us what the total bill was, please?
Do you mind telling us what the total bill was, please?

The car had its MOT test at the same time but the parts totalled £150-86. The total labour charge was £52. I don't know if any of the labour charge was apportioned to taking it for its MOT test but I was quoted 1.5 hours labour by my local dealer, which would have been a bit more than £52.
The amounts I quoted are not including VAT.
Replacement particulate filter for C5 - volcane
I have a xsara 2001 110 hdi with no filter and on a mixed journey with no thrashing the computer will read 51.4 +. If I drive really hard (eg if I was on the autobahn) the combined mpg cannot be forced lower than 43. In the early days I kept a spreadsheet and checked the economy and found the onboard computer accurate enough so stopped recording. I thought a 307 while a little heavier would have similar economy.
Replacement particulate filter for C5 - bignick
As far as I am aware (and I work in a Citroen parts dept) the "new" particulate filters are not available only the exchange ones. Citroen are obviously keen to ensure the return of the old units though, the surcharge is £517.50 on a part priced at £139.42.
Thanks bignick. That ties in very closely with the price I was quoted for a filter on a 307, but at a time when an exchange item was not an option. Innow feel a lot happier about the future replacement bill, if I ever reach the mileage!
As far as I am aware (and I work in a
Citroen parts dept) the "new" particulate filters are not available only
the exchange ones. Citroen are obviously keen to ensure the return
of the old units though, the surcharge is £517.50 on a
part priced at £139.42.

I was originally quoted a price of £403 plus VAT and the exchange unit was not mentioned until I asked about it. I therefore assume it was likely I would have been charged that amount ,if I had not asked about an exchange unit.