Passat oil sludge? - PeterRed
I've been nosing around in the VWvortex forums and note that there appear to be many reports of oil sludge problems in the VW 1.8t engine for US owners. I can't find any reports of it in the UK. Strange that - particularly as the Americans seem very keen on 3000-5000 mile services. Any comments anyone?
Passat oil sludge? - jc2
A lot of yanks do go for short milage oil changes possibly because they tend to drive slower than we do but also because there are many more places offering rapid oil changes,most of which suck out the oil up the dipstick which tends to leave more crud in the motor than removing the sump plug.
Passat oil sludge? - Altea Ego
Plus they use really cheap yucky oil, and then sometimes suplement that with fancy heavily advertised chemicals in a tin,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Passat oil sludge? - Dalglish
jc2: three questions for you -

1. so why does it seem to affect passats only ?

2. if the answer is so obvious as you make out, why would it be a discussion point on those forums ?

3. can you point me to any evidence anywhere for your statement "out the oil up the dipstick which tends to leave more crud in the motor than removing the sump plug" ?

p.s. to hannahntilly - i think the reference to frequent oil changes in usa is a red-herring. the cause of the problem is more likely to be vw-passat specific and could be a climate thing depending on where in the usa the problems have been reported from.

p.p.s. the reason for americans changing oil every 3000miles is a cultural habit, and slowly (very very slowly) but surely they are being weaned off that habit with authoratative discussions on the benefit of long-life oils to their wallets (from improved mpg as well as avoiding needless changes of oil ) and the consequent environmental benefits.

Passat oil sludge? - nortones2
I think you'll find that there are a number of vehicles which have/are suffering from sludge in the USA. Toyota (3 million affected!) Chrysler, Saab, VW. www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=122&did=1113 It seems quite possible therefore that it is results from inadequate oil quality, and using the oil too long where the oil is under severe stress, as in short runs.
Passat oil sludge? - PeterRed
On further investigation, it appears that the VW USA recommended service interval for the a 2000 Passat 1.8t is every 5000 miles using fully synth oil (VW 502.00). I'm aware of the pressure in the UK by fleets to use extended service intervals but something very strange is going on here. How does a max of 30000miles/2 years possibly compare with 5000 miles for the same car? I don't see why the average pattern of driving in the US should be vastly different to the UK. Is anyone aware of a general oil sludge issue with UK cars?
Passat oil sludge? - mss1tw
It's all those short trips to and from the kitchen that does it. :o(
They don't market long-life oils for VW in the USA. Therefore the 506.01 oils and the later 504 and 507 oils, much more recent than 502.00, are simply not available there, at the moment.
Passat oil sludge? - jc2
1.It's a VW forum!!
2.On the whole they tend to have bigger engines and drive at slower speeds so the oil never gets really hot which will tend to cause sludge.
3.Most of their fast oil change places tend to use the dipstick tube method which tends not to clean as much muck out of the sump as drain plug removal.
4.They don't use long-life oils as there is no demand-they prefer more frequent changes.
Passat oil sludge? - Hamsafar
Yes Americans ALWAYS think they know better than the manufacturer and use oil they buy at Tupperware parties, and then add a quart of magic potion and wonder why things go wrong. If the manufacturer says use 507.00 oil, then they will use anything but.
Passat oil sludge? - Altea Ego
Americans would never consider paying good money* for good oil. Oil comes from Texas and its as plentiful as water

For example, an oil change and filter can be had for 17dollars including labour
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Passat oil sludge? - Dalglish
.. 506.01 oils ... are simply not available there, at the moment >>

>>

really? contributors on "bobistheoilguy" forum seem to think you can get these spec oils.

theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ge...0

www.tdiparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid...2

Motul Specific 505.01
Elf Excellium DID 5w40 505.01
Elf Evolution CRV (506.00/506.01) 0w30
Elf Solaris LLX 5w30 504.00/507.00

Passat oil sludge? - robcars
They have all the oils available here spec wise.

But whether they use them or not is different question. Long life oils may have other legal consequential problems of course. Be a brave vehicle supplier to recommend long service intervals over there!
The oil enthusiasts do, so 506.01 can be found if they look for them, but the dealers and VWOA don't know the 506.01 oils exist, never mind the Jiffy Lubes. Its foreign and its not available from Walmart!
Passat oil sludge? - robcars
Just to clarify about oils. Nearly all the oils you get over here are owned/produced by american owned companies, except 1 or 2 is all. They do distribute same products there too.
Passat oil sludge? - mark25
The petrol itself and the way the engine burns it are quite different in America. Also the driving style is different, cars are used for tasks which Europeans *could* use bikes and walking for, leading to more cold starts. VW *used to* run higher piston to bore clearances than other manufacturers, esecially when cold, which blackens the oil quicker. This may still be playing a part.
Passat oil sludge? - mss1tw
The petrol itself and the way the engine burns it are
quite different in America.

How? I know the petrol is rubbish compared to our stuff...
I don't think Elf, BP (including Castrol), Shell, Motul, Fuchs and many others are American. Its the European based oil companies that sell into the US and Canada, albeit on a small scale. Look at Freds TDI site: even though there have been requests that they do so, it is quite plain that Mobil for example do NOT sell 505.01 or 506.01 oils in the US - the market is simply too small.
Passat oil sludge? - George Porge
Why are we worried about engines in America? Is yours ok? What about others in the UK, are they ok? I not worried about being shot due to the fact most Americans own guns am I.

What about Russia, China, whereever, does their oil get dirty and if it does how will it affect me?
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade