Spending money - bikemade3
On soliciters advice i've got to get rid of £16k worth of saving to stop the ex wife getting half of it. My mothers just bought my old Mondeo and i'm borrowing it. Question is whats the best car to by to resell in 18 Months when it's all done and dusted. The cars going to be garaged and not driven. Thinking Audi A4 Diesel or BMW equivilent.
Spending money - mfarrow
You're probably better off buying a mint classic, then you're guaranteed no depreciation. Have a gander over to practical classics etc.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Spending money - Armitage Shanks {p}
From my long and bitterly fought experience in these matters (!), I am not sure that turning one asset into another will keep a grasping cow's hands off it! I am sure you are getting legal advice on this but do make sure that it is correct and in accordance with current divorce law. Ie Wife gets shed loads of stuff and bad luck to you!
Spending money - local yokel
Is there any water held by the arguement that the asset is required for the party to make his living?

A classic would need a garage, and I'd not agree that they all hold their value. You can't buy from a dealer and expect to re-sell at that price.
Spending money - Manatee
Don't you listen to the Archers? You could lose it to me in a poker game...
Spending money - Pugugly {P}
BMW R1200GS Adventure - Fully loaded. As bombprof as things come.
Spending money - Lud
Story in the paper the other day, embittered chap in New York blew up his house with himself in it to stop his wife getting hold of it. He survived too, although not in mint condition. May end up in the funny farm when he comes out of hospital.

Worth thinking about, that. These struggles get to people, and do them harm.
Spending money - Altea Ego
16k will pay for a "contract"

you may even get some beer money left over.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Heres the rub about 225K equity in the house, my car although perfectly good is going to develop a fault that'll be uneconomical to repair. I need to loose the 16K i've got in savings so buy a car (work) brand spanking new and garage it , resort to former car no working fine and when finalised sell new car. Result i take a 2-3K loos on the car as opposed to loosing 8K of my savings. Apparantly this is totally legal my brother webt thru' this 3 years ago and found this little gem out afterwards.
Golf then.
Spending money - NowWheels
Wife's solicitors: "So where's the 16K, then?"

bikemade3: "Had to buy a new car. Needed it for work"

solrs: "current valuation of car, please"

bikemade3: "No"

solrs: "We'll raise non-disclosure in court, then"

bikemade3: "OK, value, 13k"

solrs: "no, written valuation from third party, please"

oops. "One car, 8 months old, 50 miles on the clock"

solrs": "Needed for your work, then? Hmm"

If the scam is uncovered, then chances are you'll not earn any brownie points with the divorce judge. If it's too elaborate, and afidavits are involved, you could technically be open to a perjury charge. Rare, I believe, but still a possibility.

And if you get away with it, what sort of state is the car going to be in from sitting unused in the garage for a year?
Wife's solicitors: "So where's the 16K, then?"

Ok then what's to stop me selling my current car CIRCA 500 to my mother, buying a second hand Golf TDI from the dealers and using that for 12/18 months . Then if needed re sell the Golf and buy my Mondeo back from my mother post divorce.?
You seriously think you are going to only take a 2-3k loss on a 16 grand car?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Spending money - wotspur
Best thing you can do is buy my Espace for 16k!! I promise to buy it back off you in 1yrs time for less, as a favour of course.

Best thing I've heard recently about a divorce, slight deviation from the story on a current radio station was the judge in summing up said,
"Sir I do believe you think more of your Jaguar than you do of your x wife,
to which he replied "I think more of my knackered old mini than I do of my x wife"
good luck
Slight variation on Wotspur's answer. John Lennon was asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the World? "He isn't the best drummer in the Beatles!" was the reply.
You seriously think you are going to only take a 2-3k
loss on a 16 grand car?

Brand new Golf SE TDI 105BHP circa £16K OTR. Local VW dealers buys them in 3 years old with 36K for £9500. For a 1year old car with 12000 he'll give circa 14K. i,M sure a 1 year old car will come in slightly higher as it'll have delivery miles only, they'll trailer it to the garage.
Funnily enough when discussing this the Golf Plus is not the car he would sell me as there is not the same demand.
Whats worse loss of 2grand or the loss of 8?
Spending money - dylan
Heres the rub about 225K equity in the house, my
car although perfectly good is going to develop a fault that'll
be uneconomical to repair. I need to loose the 16K i've
got in savings so buy a car (work) brand spanking new
and garage it , resort to former car no working fine
and when finalised sell new car. Result i take a 2-3K
loos on the car as opposed to loosing 8K of my
savings. Apparantly this is totally legal my brother webt thru' this
3 years ago and found this little gem out afterwards.

I have no experience in these things, but I'm curious. What's to stop you taking the £16k in cash, hiding it down the back of the sofa, then saying you blew the lot on fruit machines (an addiction brought on by the trauma of the divorce, of course)?
Spending money - No FM2R
1) Depends. Is it *your* savings ? or realistically belongs to the pair of you ? Whatever she got up to, are you now cheating her also ? Which you may or may not consider she deserves.

2) Turn everything into cash, Put all the cash under a mattress somewhere. Buy a return ticket to Las Vegas, keeping receipt.. Spend a week in a bar. Come back penniless.

Although in an extreme case the court can order you to pay half of what they think the value was even if you no longer have it.
You need a new car. Get rid of the Mondeo outside the family circle and wave goodbye to it. You buy your new Golf (i'd still go for the Adventure !) keep it for your twelve months. And buy anothe Mondeo altogether for your £500.00 and sell the Golf back to the dealer. At least you'll get some of the pleasure out of the money you're going to lose. Personally I would rather give my money to a car dealer than an ex. or her solicitor !)
Otherwise do what Mark says !
You need a new car. Get rid of the Mondeo outside
the family circle and wave goodbye to it. You buy your
new Golf (i'd still go for the Adventure !) keep it
for your twelve months. And buy anothe Mondeo altogether for your
£500.00 and sell the Golf back to the dealer. At least
you'll get some of the pleasure out of the money you're
going to lose. Personally I would rather give my money to
a car dealer than an ex. or her solicitor !)

Already own a bike (CBR1000F) and it's a play thing so swapping that 4 a new BMW will be sussed. The Mondeo's a 1997 P reg with 110K on the clock. The money is in my name only but knowing the way it's going she'll be asking for half of it like i'm responsible for her 7K loan i knew nothing about. Might just keep the Mondeo @ my mothers and use the Golf a bit say 6000Miles as i'm using the bike @ the moment, but i need a car for Autumn/ Winter because of my past heath issues. ( 2 weeks in ITU- Asthma attack!!) at least i can justify the need for a car.
Having been thru all this, more than once, I can tell you that you will soon get presented with a thing called Form E. This is a 28 page document, issued by the Court, in which you will have to declare every single thing you own, worht more than £100, with a valuation. This will include cars and bikes,jewellery, watches, cash, bank accounts, savings, ISAs, share options, cash over £100 - the list is endless. It has to be accurate and sworn on oath. Your wife/partner will have to do the same. You can also state your necessary expenditure, holidays clothes, food, heat ,light and so on. The information you are getting here is accurate as far as it goes. However, take it from me, ANY ducking and weaving will probably be detected and will be punished harshly.

In the past I had to produce 3 years statements of every bank account I had with all movements in and out of them, over £250, explained. It is a shed load of work to fill it in and it is a load of grief if you are caught evading or concealing things. It is a sworn statement and getting it 'wrong' is perjury! What you are hearing here is useful but you need a paid professional to get you thru this. Good luck!
Link to Form E - Armitage Shanks {p}
You can download the form here and see what you are in for!

www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/GetFor...3

definately do what Mark suggests !
Pugugly. I can't see that anybody called Mark has actually suggested anything - or can't I read?
NoFM2R is RLBS in disguise
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sorry should have been clearer, it was a tounge in cheek comment.. If your Solicitor has suggested this course of action, I am bound to say follow that. Buy your Golf.
Spending money - paulb {P}
I'm with Mark on this one, although I'd take it a little further - sell everything, go on one hell of a spree, run up a stack of debts and then petition for bankruptcy at the end, assuming you're not in a profession where this would cause you problems. It is extraordinarily hard to claw back assets that have, metaphorically speaking, been put up numerous walls.
If that is really what your solicitor has advised I suggest you change your solicitor. I think he is leading you into a load of grief.
Sadly no he hasn't but i think that's more of me not asking him. She says that she's not after the savings but that'll change.Bit like she's not after 4/22nds of my pension and gratuity @ this time..