basic wiring Q ,1988 polo - steveo3002
1988 vw polo...rear fog lamp doesnt work!!

ive tested with a test lamp and theres no power at the rear lamp connector , no power at fuse number 8 which the manual states is the rear fog, but i have power at the multi plug for the switch

would that indicate the switch is faulty?

what order does it go??? i.e battery -switch-fuse-bulb or what??
basic wiring Q ,1988 polo - Civic8
Battery-fuse-switch then bulb.
--
Steve
Sorry forgot to mention fog lights, are only switchable ie on,when headlamps/sidelights are on.I think now its headlights on as well.
But if you have no voltage at the fuse point must be a problem before the connection or at
--
Steve
i tested either side of the fuse holder and theres nothing...i wasnt sure what color wires should be live at the switch but i was getting at least 3 lives with the headlights and ign on

so how would i get lives at the switch and nothing at the fuse? unless the fuse is not as stated in the handbook
Is there a relay on this circuit,it could be relay is causing it as it will only turn circuit on if working
--
Steve
basic wiring Q ,1988 polo - bell boy
try pushing the fog light switch 20 times as they tend to seize up as they are only used once a year by the mot man and old ladies, this may well clean up the contacts or at least will bodybuild a finger digit (sorry any old ladies reading)
i think i may have broken the switch now...tried to take it aprt to inspect it and i think ive lost a spring!

how would i find what relay it is? the handbook only mentions fuses
basic wiring Q ,1988 polo - bell boy
theres no reason a 21 watt bulb would need a relay i suggest now youve let the bits have their freedom :) find the colour of wire from switch to back light and check it for continutiy then work from there..........
oldman...makes sense about the relay!

why would the fuse have no power

p.s ebay has a switch at 99p so thats not so bad :)
basic wiring Q ,1988 polo - Dynamic Dave
theres no reason a 21 watt bulb would need a relay

Unless it was used as a latching device if the switch was only a push button, and not a make & break type.
You dont strip down a switch,they are not repairable.you will need to replace it!, if no relay, its got to be problem with feed to fuse
--
Steve
i have actualy fixed a few vw switches...they tend to get dirty contacys inside and a quick clean gets em back to working....its just i was hot n angry and let a spring fly out lol

the car only has basic wiring so i cant imagine its too hard to fix