Not just any ol' braking problem. - dan
Dear all,

My ladyfriend has an lovely Mk2 MR2 (one of the earlies '89 with the corolla engine and no spoiler - looks less like a trainer methinks) which pulls very noticeably to the right when braking, but ONLY when also steering right.

It steers perfectly straight with no braking and this only occurs when braking AND steering to the right as tests involving braking with hands-off-wheel show no change of direction.

Are you now going to batter me with tracking rod problems and general suspension malaise? Thanks in advance and on behalf of SHMBO for any suggestions.

dan
Re: Not just any ol' braking problem. - David W
Dan,

She has to get the tracking/alignment carefully checked first.

Next I would look for an uneven wear pattern on one/both front tyres. I've known this where the steering seemed to gain assistance when braking was applied in a curve, it was a tyre worn on the inner (I seem to remember) edge.

David
Re: Not just any ol' braking problem. - mike harvey
Dan, I totally agreewith David. She needs a thorough alignment check including all steering angles. Something is obviously misaligned on RH steering. We could guess all day as to the cause.
Regards
Mike
Re: Not just any ol' braking problem. - Alwyn
Dan,

Is anything happening to the flexible brake hose on right hand turns?

I remember a Vauxhall I had some time ago would lock its steering on right hand turns when accelerating. Turned out to be be a failed engine mounting causing the engine to trap the steering as it moved under acceleration.
Re: Not just any ol' braking problem. - peter
Good lateral thinking from Alwyn, but wouldn't it would need to be the LH side pipe to look at to make it pull right?
Hmmmmmm

Wot if the right hand pipe was being crushed or trapped by summat, thus sending fluid into the calliper and causing a braking effect to the right wheel?

"Pull right" I presume means a tendency to move to the right which I presume would happen if the right hand brake was applied?

Or is it just me?........again :-)
Thats the right-hand brake, not the correct handbrake!!!!!!!!!
Re: Not just any ol' braking problem. - j.cronin
Make sure all your wheels are MR2,not some other Toyota wheel.I had a Cortina that pulled under braking-couldn't find any problem-it eventually turned out that one wheel was off a Capri-different offset!
Re: Not just any ol' braking problem. - dan
Many thanks all,
I will follow up the suggestions and promise to post the outcome when we get one.
Thanks again,
dan