Pug 406 2.1TD Bad Running - Mr Chris
I'm looking for a few suggestions as to what may be my problem before I pay Mr Peugeot lots of money for a diagnosis

the car a 1999 so pre HDi is hard to start, when it does it constantly hunts from around 700 to 1500 RPM as if i was stabing at the accelerator pedal, it will idle like this for a couple of minutes before the cutting out but will restart and run the same again. All the time it's running it's really rattly as though the pump timing is out, also it blows a bit of white smoke and smells of unburnt diesel from the exhaust

I've checked all electrical connections and tried an alternative no1 injector with the needle lift sensor, and checked the belt timing, now i'm lost

HELP!!

thanks
Pug 406 2.1TD Bad Running - landmarked
Could be air ingress in the fuel line, although I have not heard of this affecting the running for more than a minute or so once the car has started.

The regulation of a rotary (usually Lucas) fuel pump can be knocked out by air in the fuel line, causing the revs to hunt sporadically as you have described. Does it improve if you pump the primer bulb to pressurise the line before you start?
Pug 406 2.1TD Bad Running - AndyT
Did a quick web search with little joy, other than the following link to an earlier Honest John thread;

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=14...0