Have you renewed your Road tax - wemyss
Walked past the wife?s car and stopped?shock horror the road tax disc read 31.5.06.
Having never missed renewing in almost 50 years how could it happen.
Well I have a system of when receiving the renewal reminder of placing it in a prominent position ( top of my monitor) and get new tax disc at our post office on or about the required 14 days before its due. The new disk then sits in the same place until the 1st of the month.
So what had happened?..Checked my bank account to see if I had paid and couldn?t find anything. Checked the wife?s with no joy. Searched vainly for a new tax disc and finally came to the conclusion that I had simply hadn?t received a reminder.
Went to the DVLA site and was told how to pay at the Post Office without a V11 (licence renewal reminder) It told me that I have to fill a form V10 (Application for a Vehicle Licence) and submit it with the usual registration document, insurance, MOT.
Outside the Post Office at 9.0am the next morning first customer and began explaining to the girl. She cut me short and said ?have you the registration doc? No problem? and simply made out a disc from the 1st of July.
?And what about June? No she couldn?t backdate and said expect an £80.00 fine in the post. ?Why no reminder in the post? I bleated.
Happens all the time, sometimes they send them and others not. You can renew with registration doc so there isn?t any real need.
There is with a memory like mine I thought but anyway if any among you use the same tactics of relying on a V11 in the post find a new system??

Was Alvin

Have you renewed your Road tax - Lockey
Hi,

Yes, a reminder from DVLA can be something you rely upon!! Can you perhaps explain that you were out of the country for the period it expired until you renewed and explain it was kept in/on your garage/private driveway? I know someone who explained this to the post office and the lady renewed from when it expired. I know you've already renewed now, but perhaps it might work...

Just a thought. Let's hope you don't get the fine...

Andrew
Have you renewed your Road tax - Mutton Geoff
Why do you buy a new disc 14 days before it's due then leave it on your desk until the 1st of the month? As soon as you buy it, pop it in the car, they don't have a start date you know.

Have you renewed your Road tax - martint123
they don't have a start date you know.

But they do. Reading the renewal form it says "A license comes into force on the day it is taken out except when it is taken out in advance, in which case it takes effect from the first day of the following month".

A guy at work some years ago got a "failure to display" ticket for just that. I put the new disk in the holder on the windscreen and tape the old one to the dash so it is still visible.

Have you renewed your Road tax - henry k
I put the new disk in the holder on the windscreen and tape the old one to the dash so it is still visible.

Why not tape it to the bottom left of the windscreen, where, IIIRC, it should be.
IMO This would ensure no risk of a ticket .
Have you renewed your Road tax - Mike H
See my previous post on the same subject

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=41...4
Have you renewed your Road tax - horatio
I can see you're annoyed and wanting to blame it on DVLA, but surely the reminder service is not compulsory for them and in the event it goes wrong it surely has no effect on your responsibility to renew on time.

Ok so a solution might be a diary program for your computer, have your computer flag you for birthdays, anniversaries, insurance renewals, and VED renewals, appointments etc etc.
Have you renewed your Road tax - L'escargot
Ok so a solution might be a diary program for your
computer .........

Or simply a diary ~ at the beginning of every year I write all the things I need to remember for that year in my new diary.
--
L\'escargot.
Have you renewed your Road tax - Dynamic Dave
Ok so a solution might be a diary program for your computer,

Or occasionally glance at the windscreen and see when the expiry date of the VED is due. Surely you occasionally clean the windscreen, and therefore can observe the date?
Have you renewed your Road tax - No FM2R
>>Surely you occasionally clean the windscreen

Are you having a laugh ? I doubt I have ever washed a windscreen. I have a button inside the car which does that with some wet stuff and couple of black wipey things.
Have you renewed your Road tax - Dynamic Dave
I doubt I have ever washed a windscreen.

Having previously seen your land bruiser, I can believe that. Using the button, wet stuff and a couple of black wipey things doesn't get rid of the dead fly brains though.