what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Temp name4
what is the stangest car youve seen doing the school run ?

its mostly zafira's at my childrens school althouth there is a lovely tt with a realy unusual body kit
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - mlj
I do remember an article in Supercar Classics in the eighties. It featured Nick Mason's Ferrari 250 GTO. He did state that some days he did do the school run in it. Reg no. 250 GTO of course.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - George Porge
My mate at schools dad used to pick him up in his artic cab, how cool is that when you're 10!
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - local yokel
Kids used to ride to school on a pony and then l'd lead it from my horse on the way home. Only 2hp, but nicer than a Eurobox.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - BazzaBear {P}
My mum used to take my sister to work, and me to school in an MG midget. I had to sit on top of the transmission tunnel in the back. Gave me an interesting 'windswept' look, since my head was six inches over the top of the windscreen.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Dynamic Dave
In my day (and I'm only 36 btw) it was unusual to see any car doing the school run.

Most of us travelled either by bicycle, or if it was raining - public transport.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Lud
I went to a lot of schools. My father used to take me to the first two on his bicycle, having attached a seat for me to the crossbar. That was in Bath during the second world war.

Later in the forties, in Ceylon, I went to a boarding school some 150 miles from where we lived. Usually went there in a naval leave bus full of sailors, but at least once in a Chevrolet 15cwt truck: a forward control 4wd chassis with a sidevalve V8 between the front seats and a body lashed up out of timber and hardboard. Extremely noisy, uncomfortable and macho vehicle that could go anywhere and must have used a fair amount of juice. One of the other parents had a Triumph 1800 roadster (with a dicky in the boot, whose front panel opened up to become the rear passengers' windscreen), yet another one of the very first pushme-pullyu Raymond Loewy Studebakers.

At day school in Plymouth in the early fifties I used my own bicycle. Parked near the school I went to was a sky-blue Cord roadster, one of the best-looking American cars ever.

At my last school, in the mid-fifties, some of the rich parents (mine were not among them) had things like vintage Bentleys. One of my contemporaries there was the son of a sports car manufacturer, whose brother used to turn up in green racers of the make concerned, on one occasion with its knock-off hubcaps on one side marked with Ferrari red paint from some jostling incident during a race the previous week. You could hear that one a good mile away. Another contemporary used to drive about in his parents' second car, a Packard Clipper convertible. You couldn't hear that one at all, although its straight-eight engine projected it up the school drive at what felt like amazing speeds.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - eProf
I, too, went to school in Bath during the war but I had to walk as we had no car or bicycle then. I don't recall too much about the cars at my later schools until my father bought a Rolls 20/25, the "Doctor's Special". That was one car that no-one could up-stage! ...and, yes, it was so quiet that one could hear the wind whistling past the block as it revved (in a very gentlemanly way, of course).

Those were the days when cars were a priviledge and driving was considered an art.

--
e Prof
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - L'escargot
Mostly I'd walk the 1 mile to school, but I remember on very rare occasions if I was a bit off-colour being taken on the rear carrier (if that's the correct name) of my dad's pre-war Hercules bicycle.
--
L\'escargot.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - mrmender
Used to take MM junior to school in my traka kit i think head thaought we were quite mad
How interesting eProf. My father too had a 20/25, an ugly black Mulliner 7-passenger sedanca de ville, with two jump seats, but the hood didn't open. He didn't buy it until I had left school, though. It was quiet and quite slow. As the compression ratio was only about six to one, he sometimes used to cut the petrol with paraffin (mainly I think to prove that it could be done).

When he decided to trade up to a new Cortina 1200 he gave the Rolls-Royce to the Catholic parish priest in Dunfermline (he wasn't a Catholic but my mother was). Apparently the bishop confiscated it immediately, perhaps fearing that it would send the wrong signals to the faithful.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - bobda
Gave me an interesting 'windswept' look, since my head was six inches over the
top of the windscreen.

A look which has remained until this day, eh Bazza!
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Altea Ego
Scuse me, can someone explain how 1 horse (a small one at that) can have 2 horsepower?

Let me see, junior school was a mile and a half walk cos the bus money could buy you sweets :). BIG school was a half a mile walk so I didnt get any bus money :(

In my later years travel to school was on a Lambretta LI150 When parkas were first made trendy.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - mss1tw
Dad picked me up on his DT a few times...apart from a few Merc's he might have had for the day from his boss, that's about it. I normally walked anyway!
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - SjB {P}
The Range Rover Sport and Golf cabrio both used for a 250-300 yard (I kid ye not) primary school run in our village; these kids are driven to school each day and the Mums in question then drive back home. Thankfully the vast majority are walked to and from school by their parents. The same two Mums (and Dads) drive to the village shop (300 yards, shock, horror) for their ciggies and paper.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - mss1tw
How pathetic.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Round The Bend
Lad in my class at primary used to be delivered and collected in a chauffeur driven RR Sliver Shadow. This was late 1960's and I think his (obviously) wealthy parents wanted him to have a state education.
_______
IanS
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Cliff Pope
In 1956 I went to school by tractor. Petrol was rationed because of the Suez crisis.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Chris S
I remember French & Saunders doing the school run in an armoured personel carrier! I think they were having a go at mums who do the school runs in 4x4s.
Nipper rides pony, LY rides horse = 2 x horse, => 2 hp
During the Glastonbury Festival last year some kids went to scholl by helicopter, as their houses were cut off by the festival, ISTR.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3004394.stm

what is the most unusual car to do a sch - PW
Helicopters are fairly routine there. For open days there is a lot of one upmanship in the car park- with lots of hired exotica from parents with something to prove. Then 1 or 2 turn up in the choppers for the ultimate attention.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Altea Ego
Nipper rides pony, LY rides horse = 2 x horse, =>
2 hp

DOH - of course, I missed the other machine
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - L'escargot
Scuse me, can someone explain how 1 horse (a small one
at that) can have 2 horsepower?

For what it's worth my source of information says that "The power of a draught horse, of average strength, working eight hours per day, is about four fifths of a standard horse power."

--
L\'escargot.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - expat
When our car broke down the undertakers round the corner lent us a hearse to take the kids to school with.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Temp name4
I Did it toay in an e200 komp

usually do it in a transit though.

the kids prefer the transit can you believe that!

we always walked to school, it was about a mile and a half, it never entered our heads to go by car, but then again we had a vauxhall viva, so it was preferable to walk wasnt it really.

i dio see a F550 going past my kids school every morning though, can you imagine gettting dropped off in that how cool would that be.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - cub leader
usually do it in a transit though.
the kids prefer the transit can you believe that!

I can well believe it i used to love it when my dad dropped us off in the commer bearing in mind this was in mid 90's when it was already a classic
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - blue_haddock
On a couple of occasions my dad picked me up from school in a Carmichael TACR2 Fire Engine.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - AngryJonny
I can well believe it i used to love it when
my dad dropped us off in the commer bearing in mind
this was in mid 90's when it was already a classic

Or school minibus was a khaki Commer PB. It only seems like a few years ago.

As they say in JS:TO: One day you're 17. Then just before you're 18 you realise you're 56.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - Harmattan
I used to use my 1932 Vale Special on the rare occasions I did the run. Most interesting moment was parking behind another parent's new Ferrari 355 drophead outside choir practice in Warwick one day. While we were talking, guess which car was being snapped by the passing tourists. Only room for one child in each, of course.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - nortones2
I used to go to school with an armed guard on the bus: Ipoh Malaya 1957/58. By car, dad had to be armed. Slight problems with riots and CT's.
Vale Special, Harmattan? Chapeau! A car I haven't heard of, or hardly.

Don't suppose you've got a photo?
Take a look at www.club.triumph.org.uk/anniversary/historic.htm for the car itself. It has been living in a plastic bag for last five years and only sees daylight for a day or two a year when I get back to the UK and check it over. It should have been out a bit longer this summer but I signed another two-year overseas contract instead. Leaving out the prototype, it is probably the oldest Vale surviving.
Thanks for that Harmattan. Truly charming little beast O! I have seen the picture before somewhere.

Assuming that is your example, is the Coventry Climax unit a zippy OHC thing giving several more BHP?

I suppose you must miss it in Kano or wherever, but it wouldn't like the conditions there. Has it ever been up Shelsley Walsh? I remember a red Singer 9 making a very leisurely ascent a few years ago...
Zippy is rather relative in this case, I suspect. I have never driven an 832 cc Vale -- never even seen another Vale, come to that -- but imagine it would be rather underpowered. However, handling was the Vale's virtue and the salesmen would demonstrate with handbrake turns round a lamp post in the centre of a divided road. The 10.8 hp engine was used in various Triumphs after the Vale first came out and those Vales that raced at Brooklands or rallied were modified with a larger engine or were supercharged. You might have seen my car at Shelsley Walsh in the car park and I would like to run it there one day when the engine has been safeguarded a bit. I met one owner who had run his at Shelsley Walsh -- 60 seconds exactly if I recall -- only to have the engine blow up on the way home. The engine was a bit smoky when I got my car but I wanted to use it as I knew it would be laid up later for a while. The picture was taken outside the Gaydon museum as indicated. There are so few, if any, in running condition that even photographs are uncommon.
what is the most unusual car to do a sch - davros
I remember being one of four kids (I must have been about six years old) squashed into a Lancia Fulvia Zagato, which was a pretty strange sight even in 1974 (ish). The same family's other car, as I recall, was a De Tomaso Pantera which was drew an even bigger crowd when they showed up in it.

Davros