Which E class Estates are best - A2B
Can someon give me a quick lokdown on which Merc etates are best in terms of reliablty etc..

I understand that after 96 they became the W10 ? Are these good in general?

when did the w11 come out 2003? Are these better my budget is £10 thousand.

The engine i seek is the one in the 320 cdi.

One last question. Is there nay way to easily check if there is a glow plug problem or one likely to occur?

If there is a glow plug problem do they just stop right away or just not start up correctly?

thanks
Which E class Estaes are best - Roger Jones
The W210 series started in 1996 and lasted until 2002. It is best known for its bodywork corrosion problems. The W211 series replaced the W210 and is best known for its reliability problems, although it seems that no MB built since 1996 is sure to be free of corrosion problems. Search the Web for tons of commentary on these issues. Try these for starters:

www.mercedesproblems.com/
www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=39...0
www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/01-int/merc...l

Also search this forum with "W210" and "W211" to find plenty of discussion here too.

Corrosion-free W210s can be found. Whether W211s can be found with no reliability problems, I know not.

Can't comment on the glow plugs.

I'm not anti-MB: I have three, but all pre-1997.
Which E class Estaes are best - Rumfitt
Another source of information and heartache is at:

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/

I have a 1996 estate and it is literally rusting all over - something to do with a change to water-based paints and construction processes apparently.

However, nothing comes close to matching its blend of usable performance, economy, comfort and practicality. No matter how non-rusty the alternatives are, they still seem like a step down...

The secret is definitely out because values have been slashed and W210s are very cheap to buy now - how the mighty have fallen.

Which E class Estaes are best - drbe
If there is a glow plug problem do they just stop
right away or just not start up correctly?
thanks

I had, first of all one glow plug replaced and the all six were later replaced. No, the engine doesn't stop, nor is it difficult to start, from memory, it was just a bit lumpy for a few seconds.

It is a good idea probably to get them all replaced if one goes, I understand they can be difficult to remove from the head, but I must state that I am no expert.
Which E class Estaes are best - tanvir
IIRC the E320CDI only came about in 1999 as part of a mild facelift of the range. Before that, the more primitive E300TD was used.
Which E class Estaes are best - Aprilia
"However, nothing comes close to matching its blend of usable performance, economy, comfort and practicality. No matter how non-rusty the alternatives are, they still seem like a step down..."

Hmm, I'm as big a Mercedes fan as anyone, but that's a very debatable statement. I wouldn't want a rusty W210 and not many other people do either. They are almost impossible to sell on. Anyone buying one of these cars needs to check vary carefully for signs of rust (or respray) and just walk if you find it.
Which E class Estaes are best - Rumfitt
Well it was a tongue in cheek way of saying that apart from the rust it's a brilliant car...

I didn't want a rusty W210 either! I remember the first murmurings of the rust scandal and thought surely these premium German marque cars surely can't rust that badly?

Boy was I wrong - hence the total collapse in used prices, almost along the lines of the Alfa rust scandal a few decades before. I can't sell it to anyone so I might as well keep enjoying (from the inside) the excellent economy, torquey performance and the simple interior solidity ;-)
Which E class Estaes are best - Collos25
Unless you can afford the very latest model I would stay far away boy can they they be trouble and that means expensive and as Rumfitt has already stated the rust problems can be enormous and not just cosmetic ,the C class although not a lot better in the rust stakes is a better option to own.
Which E class Estaes are best - Roger Jones
For those who may be interested, from the Wikipedia page

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_Benz

you can see details at

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W210
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W211