HDi110 cambelt change but what else? - glowplug
Hi,

Could any members give me their advice on what parts I should replace when I do the cambelt on my Xantia. I expect that the tensioner and waterpump would be a good idea also a new 'alternator' belt but what about the other idlers? The last cambelt change was at 103*** it's now at 137102 ish. I guess I need to check the crankshaft pulley for signs of failure.

I've had a search but can't find a full example.

Also has anyone had this sort of work done if so how much did it cost and what was changed?

Thanks.

Steve.
Xantia HDi Exclusive.
HDi110 cambelt change but what else? - 659FBE
In my experience, I would change the water pump without question - this item is the weakest link in PSA cam drive systems. The idler and tensioner are very well made components on these engines (metal wheels, sealed double row ball bearings) and would probably be OK - subject to a check for smooth running. However, if you change them now, the replacements will probably outlast the vehicle. The labour involved is practically nil once the timing belt has been removed.

The crankshaft pulley (more specifically, the torsional vibration damper within the pulley assembly) is notorious for breaking up, and I would also renew this with much the same arguments in mind. Remember also that aside from the inconvenience, a sudden pulley failure will cause loss of steering assist, which could be dangerous.

Take it to a well established independent with an interest in doing the job. I can't help with cost estimates I'm afraid.

HDi110 cambelt change but what else? - Andrew-T
"has anyone had this sort of work done if so how much did it cost and what was changed?"

Cambelt and water-pump on 306 HDi 90 (1999) last January - £200 all-in inc.VAT at local indie.