Removing engine oil overfill. - L'escargot
My car was overfilled with engine oil at a service last week so I decided to remove the excess (about 0.4 litre) by the siphonic action method via the dipstick tube. It took about 3 hours ~ talk about watching paint dry! ~ using a length of 6 mm o.d. 3 mm i.d. PVC tube. There must be a quicker way. Is it possible to buy a suction pump that will do the job? It would have to be reasonably cheap because it would only get used once in a blue moon.

--
L\'escargot.
Removing engine oil overfill. - Peter D
Yes there are vacuum pumps available for this but as it is once in blue mmon just rig up you vacuum cleaner to seal to the top of a wine bottle and the tube right down to the bottom of the bottle tape it up and the job doen in 10 mins. Regards Peter
Removing engine oil overfill. - Hamsafar
Yes a cheap solution would be a £7 500ml syringe from Machine Mart. There is a Machine Mart in most cities.
www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040215070
Removing engine oil overfill. - stunorthants
My mechanic removed the sump plug for a few seconds then tightened it back up and topped up the level... didnt take three hours, thats for sure...
Removing engine oil overfill. - jc2
I've done it by taking off the filter,emptying it and putting it back on again;more than once if necessary.
Removing engine oil overfill. - henry k
I've done it by taking off the filter,emptying it and putting it back on again;more than once if necessary.

>>
Yes. if the filter retains the oil but not if it is horizontal.
Removing engine oil overfill. - Andrew-T
"remove the sump plug for a few seconds ..."

This is the way for me, but clearly it depends how accessible yours is (or if you have one). You can always run out a bit too much, and put some back in ...
My mechanic removed the sump plug for a few seconds then
tightened it back up and topped up the level... didnt take
three hours, thats for sure...

I just got the parasol out and enjoyed a few beers on the patio while the oil siphoned out. Much more pleasant than grovelling under the car.
--
L\'escargot.
Removing engine oil overfill. - oldgit
My car was overfilled with engine oil at a service last
week so I decided to remove the excess (about 0.4 litre)
by the siphonic action method via the dipstick tube. It took
about 3 hours ~ talk about watching paint dry! ~ using
a length of 6 mm o.d. 3 mm i.d. PVC tube.
There must be a quicker way. Is it possible to
buy a suction pump that will do the job?
It would have to be reasonably cheap because it would only
get used once in a blue moon.
--
L\'escargot.

In my opinion, you should take it back and make the so-called experts rectify the problem. If they can't manage to use their expert judgement in adding the correct amount of oil to a car's sump, then heaven help us all!
Removing engine oil overfill. - Andrew-T
"take it back and make the so-called experts rectify the problem"

But maybe you don't want to drive the car with an over-full engine?
Removing engine oil overfill. - oldgit
"take it back and make the so-called experts rectify the problem"
But maybe you don't want to drive the car with an
over-full engine?

Well it was driven from them in the first place.

Get them to send someone over to rectify the problem - a mobile mechanic or similar i.e one of their highly skilled grease monkeys.
Removing engine oil overfill. - Altea Ego
I hardly think 0.4 litres is enough to worry about.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I hardly think 0.4 litres is enough to worry about.

Min to max is only 0.75 litres (14 mm difference in depth) so surely 0.4 litres above max is significant? It was about 7 mm above max. How much above max can be tolerated before the crank/conn rods start hitting the oil?
--
L\'escargot.
Removing engine oil overfill. - Happy Blue!
In the E320 CDi I have just sold for MiL, the oil warning light came on and said that the oil level was too high. I checked the dipstick and it was above the MAX level by 50% of the distance between Min and Max. Garage sucked it out and all was fine.

Apparantly SMARTs have no drain plug?
Removing engine oil overfill. - LeePower
Correct about the Smarts lack of an oil drain plug.

There is an aftermarket drain plug kit you can fit, It is a sump off job to do though.
Removing engine oil overfill. - Armitage Shanks {p}
It is in a diesel! 4 litres over is 10% in some cars and if your the engine burned its own sump oil and wrecked itself you could be left with a useless engine and no one to look to for compensation or repair. Max means Max and if it is over is isn't right and needs sorting.
Removing engine oil overfill. - Altea Ego
10% is nothing to worry about.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Removing engine oil overfill. - Armitage Shanks {p}
I meant 0.4 litres over fill - sorry. Any overfill in a diesel is bad and should be rectified. There is no benefit to overfilling the sump and plenty of downside. If overfilling doesn't matter why is there a Max mark on the dipstick and a handbook caution saying do not overfill.? You might get away with it and you might not. How would a ruined engine bill affect your budget? It would spoil mine!