Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - henry k
98 Mondeo with 205/50 R16 tyres.

The fronts have worn on the outside edge of the nearside tyre and inside edge of the offside tyre.
Specific suggestions why.

The tyres have done 21K. I bought the Mondeo with 4 brand new FateO tyres fitted. I know they are not in the top rank of tyres but at least I treat them gently.
I must admit to not giving then a close inspection for about 1.5K
Pressures were as per book and my MoT station rechecked them.

I immediately had a full laser check / adjust done.
One side at the rear was very slightly out.
The front was very slightly out.
The tyre place said this small amount out was unlikely to have caused it.

The drop links were changed 10k ago.
I had the front wheels rebalanced 2K ago and would have anticipated some comments if the wear was already evident.

We do have out rash of road humps but I always take them at vey low speed.

With this wear, although there is plenty of tread depth, I plan to replace them.
I might have got ten per cent more wear out of them but I will be happier replacing them
I do not want to start damaging the replacement tyres.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - defender
do you go round a lot of roundabouts ,maybe even a little bit quick ? could be one reason
do you go round a lot of roundabouts ,maybe even a little bit quick ? could be one reason

No
And never (SWMBO does not drive and does not like even a tiny of G force)
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Red Baron
There was another post very similar to this recently. It concerned the rear tyres of a Honda Accord. One of the suggestions at the time was the rear subframe.

Simply because something was okay 2k ago, doesn' t mean that its good now. I have an 03 Mondeo that suffered excess wear to both inner edges of the front tyres. Reason was they both had 1.5° toe out. Maybe one of your tyres is toe out whilst the other is toe in. It could be that some bolts were not sufficiently tight.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Another John H
Maybe one
of your tyres is toe out whilst the other is toe
in. It could be that some bolts were not sufficiently
tight.

IME
with toe in one side and toe out on the other your steering wheel will be off centre to go straight ahead: the toe in/out only aparent with the steering wheel centred.
Regarding slack bolts (on one side at the front on FWD) a tendency to pull one way under acceleration and the other under deceleration - not much, but enough to notice on a straight road.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - mss1tw
You have to take the subframe out to replace the clutch on these don't you?

Maybe a design that could be 'less than rigid' by now has something to do with it? Maybe bushes?

Just a thought.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Cliff Pope
>> Maybe one
>> of your tyres is toe out whilst the other is
toe
>> in.

I don't think that is possible. Toe in or out is a measure of the angle of the wheels to each other, not to some fixed reference point. If you adjusted one side to toe in too much, the car would steer in a way so that both wheels scrubbed equally. I don't think the one wheel would steer straight and the other take all the wear.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - kithmo
henry k, have you had a close look at the rear tyres. They don't wear as fast and the effect won't be as pronounced, but I suspect you will find a similar wear pattern on them. If I'm right then it could be misalignment of the subframes, causing the car to crab. To confirm whether it is crabbing, get someone to follow you in another car and see if they can tell whether the rear end seems to be out to one side.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Quinny100
Wow, before you get all panicky and start talking about misaligned subframes, what about the front arms? Mk2 Mondeo's are well known for wearing the bushes out on these, sometimes very quickly. The best course is replace with new arms supplied by Ford as pattern arms seldom last. ISTR Ford modifed them later on, so if its a 98 on the original arms they are probably due a change. If you don't drive hard you probably wouldn't notice the slight slackness in handling the arms wearing introduces.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Roberson
Mk2 Mondeo's are well
known for wearing the bushes out on these, sometimes very quickly.

My mates dads Mondeo has just wore out its second pair ('98 model). Its going through one set every 4 years.
The best course is replace with new arms supplied by
Ford as pattern arms seldom last.

Both of aforementioned bushed were Ford parts, and they still didn't last.

In any case, I think Quinny is right to prompt a look into your suspension bushes.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Waino
Ditto - I've had problems with worn bushes on my late '97 Mondeo. I can't say that I saw an effect on tyre wear but the steering felt quite wooly - particularly when running on roads with significant 'tramline' wear. I was told that the wear on the bushes was not especially extensive - though the effect on the steering could certainly be felt
I am not aware of any steering problems.
I have looked at the rear tyres and there is no sign of uneven wear.

I will take it in and get them to check out the arms and bushes.
I got a big, fair, bill last time and I wonder if they did not investigate any further.
Included was changed drop links and anti roll bar bushes.

I will post the outcome.

Thanks for all your replies.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Quinny100
A firm I used to work for ran Mondeo's that were used by farm machinery salesmen - mechanic tried pattern arms and was changing them every 10k service! The Ford ones didn't last forever but they were significantly better and justified the extra cost.
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - robcars
But remenber Ford dont manufacturer these arms, they buy them in and put on Ford label.

Quality aftermarket items (especially if from same oe manufacturer) are cheaper and obviously equal quality. Avoid cheap "unknow brand" arms at all costs though.

Personally would change arms anyway and see what difference it makes to the drive. They are almost certainly due foir a change if you dont know when they were las replaced!
Cause of odd tyre wear? Mondeo - Hamsafar
Crabbing Mondeos dogged Ford during the era your car was made, in fact, they even appeared on BBC's Watchdog TV Programme with Anne Robinson. This was due to the fron subframe being misaligned or loose. I forget the full details, but was the alignment a 3d laser alignment? If not, try getting one of those, and having all wear points checked. Alignment only checks the car with no load with steering dead ahead and stationary, so everything can been fine under these conditions but go awry when on the move!