Mk2 Golf idle speed - vitaraq
I have a vw golf 1991 mk2 auto. The car starts and runs really well. However it idles at 500 rpm and is really stable but now and again the idle speed drops and it cuts out. I feel the idle speed is set too low, can anyone tell me how to increase the idle speed, In laymans terms of course as i am new to vw golfs. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary
Mk2 Golf idle speed - Halmer
Had a similar problem with my old Golf but it was a leaking vacuum advance unit and pipework. Was like a new car once fixed (almost).
Mk2 Golf idle speed - mark25
It's probably worth giving it a thorough check over for vac leaks, as mentioned above, and check the rocker box breather is not blocked. Then wobble the carb from side to side with it at tickover, if the revs are effected, the rubber carb mounting is split. Then check the plugs to see if they're all the same colour, if not, give it a new HT system, unless you're sure that's all recently taken care of. Plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm = about 40 quid or so at GSF.

If that doesn't help, the tickover is adjusted with two screws on the side of the carb, one does the air and the other the fuel (CO), you'll need a haynes to find them really, they interact with each other a lot!

Generally; it's a lot better to find a fault and rectify it, than start adjusting a pierburg carb around it.
Mk2 Golf idle speed - pmh
All good advice above, but at this age the vacuum pipes can be porous (rather than having a hard leak) which will not be easy to find. Possibly worth disconnecting as much pipework as possible and plugging close to inlet manifold to rule out this as a cause - before spending too much money. I have seen a leaky diaphram on a pull down unit, that caused problems. (Tip - plastic golf (as a game) tees are great for plugging a variety of pipe sizes, I always keep some in the garage!).

If you do a forum search you will find several links to other useful information, use 'Pierburg' as a search term, you will find that you are not alone.

Also www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36156

--

pmh (was peter)