Rover having a laugh! - Cooperman
One of my remote plips has died on me - tried changing the batteries and using the reprogramming sequence, but the light doesn't come on when its pressed and it seems dead. Those dandy highwaymen at Rover want to charge me 50 quid (50 quid for a tiny circuit board and piece of plastic!) for the fob plus 25 quid to reprogram it (something I can do anyway) get this, plus labour! If thats the case, I will use the key! No wonder no one buys British any more
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Phil Goodacre
Regretably not unique to Rover. BMW fobs have a lifespan of about 4 years when they have to be replaced. £135+. Yours looks like a bargain.
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Andrew Barnes

Not bad, VW blippers are even more than this.

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk

>
> One of my remote plips has died on me - tried changing the
> batteries and using the reprogramming sequence, but the light
> doesn't come on when its pressed and it seems dead. Those
> dandy highwaymen at Rover want to charge me 50 quid (50 quid
> for a tiny circuit board and piece of plastic!) for the fob
> plus 25 quid to reprogram it (something I can do anyway) get
> this, plus labour! If thats the case, I will use the key! No
> wonder no one buys British any more
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Dave N
Do you expect to run a highly complicated, high tech vehicle that is bristling with electronics for nothing?
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Spud
The answer to that is YES. The plip can't cost anymore than £1.00 to produce.
These car companies have got us all over a barrel, and don't they know it.
About ten years ago, I invented an electronic tool which retailed in all the large
DIY outlets for up to £19.00. The actual cost to make it was 50p. No I didn't make a fortune out of it. I sold the manufacturing rights to a large company and just got 10% of the wholesale profits for three years. I couldn't afford the patenting costs.
The plip is no more than a miniaturised remote control device churned out by the thousands. They are no longer hi-tech or leading edge electronics.
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Alwyn
Dead right Spud. Why is the Monoplies watch dog not doing anything about this. We are tied to a main agent for ever with these needless electronic devices.

Poor Fred, the friendly local mechanic will soon be out of work as he can't afford all the diagnostic gear to fault find. Keep cars simple for goodness sake.
But the cost to make is only one part of the overall costs involved in getting the product to the customer.

It has to be shipped from manufacturer to the Car manufacturers, booked in, sit in stock, paid for, ordered by dealer, picked/packed/shipped, stocked etc, and they all need to make money along the way.

Don't forget the old saying:- Car manufacturers aren't in the business of making cars, they're in the business of making money.
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Steve G
This is to obvious..
Have you got a spare blipper ?
Re: Rover having a laugh! - j.cronin
Don't know about Rover but with Ford replace the batteries the moment it shows signs of going flat-then it does not have to be re-programmed.
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Dan J
With the Vectra you just turn on the car ignition and leave the key fob there for 30 seconds and the car reprogrammes the remote for you - clever huh?
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Flat in Fifth
Dan J wrote:
>
> With the Vectra you just turn on the car ignition and leave
> the key fob there for 30 seconds and the car reprogrammes the
> remote for you - clever huh?

Yeah but Dan you *do* realise that as the Vectra is in terminal understeer on the Craner Curves which are on all our commuting routes and as Clarkson would rather write unfunnily about reed warblers that automatically excludes it from ever being considered as doing something sensible or desirable.
:-(
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Big Vern
I love JC, more slagging of Vectra's more cheap 2nd hand minters for me :-)

Who cares what the Jones's think, they smell and they keep giving Harry sweets. :-p
Flat in Fifth wrote:
>
> Yeah but Dan you *do* realise that as the Vectra is in
> terminal understeer on the Craner Curves which are on all our
> commuting routes and as Clarkson would rather write unfunnily
> about reed warblers that automatically excludes it from ever
> being considered as doing something sensible or desirable.
> :-(

:) Hi Stu. Actually the understeer on my 2.2 [petrol] Vectra which has stiffened suspension is virtually non existent unless pushed *very* hard.

I love my Vectra though I must admit to finding Clarkson's original comments on it very amusing. I think he's been a bit misguided second time around though personally...
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Flat in Fifth
Hi t'other Stu,
I tend to agree, although I don't particularly love mine.

Agree about the understeer when pushing hard. Foot planted hard on the loud pedal usually brings out the desired understeer effect for Vectra slaggers, but on a balanced throttle the grips not too bad and its attitude can easily be adjusted. Even oversteer on a trailing throttle is achievable, not that I would ever drive like that on the Queen's highway of course, ;-)

Stu
Flat in Fifth wrote:
> Even oversteer on a trailing throttle is
> achievable, not that I would ever drive like that on the
> Queen's highway of course, ;-)

:o) Well of course not - same here!
Part of the new block exemption rules is for manufacturers to make available technical information, software, wiring details etc to the independants.

When, or if this will actaully happen, and how, has still to be worked out, but it's looking promising. But please bear in mind that a number of independants don't want to move with the times, or invest in the correct equipment.
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Chris M
Car makers are out to make a profit and if they aren't screwing us when we buy the car new, they screw us when it goes wrong!

Chris M
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Chris M
Car makers are out to make a profit and if they aren't screwing us when we buy the car new, they screw us when it goes wrong!

Chris M
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Steve G
When the franchised dealers start losing new car sales to the likes of Tesco e.t.c i bet servicing/parts prices will soar to regain missing revenue.
Re: Rover having a laugh! - Cockle
Steve, surely the theory then would be that the franchised dealers will leave themselves exposed to a Tesco-like servicing chain under-cutting them. Ford seemed to have recognised this might be on the cards when they brought in their Rapid Fit operation.

The problem with the big boys getting in on the servicing act is that it would be the final straw for the little guy round the corner, he is already doomed to struggle because of the original point of the thread, car electronics. There is no way the small independent will be able to afford the range of diagnostic computers that are going to be essential very, very shortly, if not already, even if he could get hold of them.

I think that the next battle to be fought will be the manufacturers exerting intellectual property rights and patents on the software being used in their products, if they win that one it won't matter about the material cost of anything electronic because everything will have to be OE just to get the software.