xanitia steering - scfc_151
on my friends 1995 xantia the steering when turning left to right seems to have a 'knock' to it. Hard to describe but we jacked it up and held the wheels as they were turned and it feels like the power steering stops for a split second and kicks in again. It doesnt feel like theres any play there.

Just wondered if it might be an air lock in the hydrolic fluid?

Any ideas

Cheers
xanitia steering - neil
Good news - almost certainly isn't anything to do with then hydraulics. Just had exactly this on my 2001 HDi Xantia - posted the same question on a Cit site and asked the dealer - all agreed it would be the joint at the bottom of the steering column where it joins the rack. Known problem with these. To fix - get wheels off floor, spray joint with WD40 or similar (to CLEAN not lube) and turn repeatedly lock-to lock, spraying more occasionally, until it frees off. Then leave to dry off and then lube with spray white grease, turning the column 90 degrees at a time so you can get the spray in from all angles into the joint. This improved things a lot in my case but decided to replace the joint anyway - part is £55 from Citroen.

Good luck!

Neil

xanitia steering - scfc_151
thanks a lot neil ill definatly try that!

xanitia steering - Civic8
I assume you mean Universal joint at bottom of steering column,if so replace it once you have checked to make sure it is the problem?

No point in lubricating if its knocking like that just replace!
--
Steve
xanitia steering - neil
Steve - Well, I've bought a new one and will fit next service, unless it goes tight again before then. However, it isn't a 'knocking', it was a tight/slack/tight/slack feeling as the s/wheel is rotated - almost as the original enquirer suggested, as if the PAS was momentarily not working. I'd be inclined to replace anyway, but from what I gather on a Cit forum, they tend to be okay longterm once worked free and lubed up. (And at £50 odd quid, represent a fair chunk of any Xantia's value these days!) ;-)