Wheel Bearing & shocks life - Edinburgh andy

Hi All

Now i know there are big variations in the quality of some componants some manufactures i have heard of some cars needing shocks & wheel bearings at 40k and others ok for more than 120k

A friend of mine needed a wheel bearing & shocks for MOT - 99 Pug 106 1.4- at 55k miles. I was surprised at this i have the same model of car although 5 years older and a 1.1L and it didnt need a wheel bearing until 95k and my shocks are origional at 111k.

I was wondering why the componants - assuming the manufature is using the same quality of parts- may last longer on one car the other is it just down to how the cars driven??? eg potholes. speedbumps, etc.

Also does heavy breaking have a bad effect on wheel bearings and so why?? and what would a reasonable life expentancy for wheel bearings & shocks in tems of miullage and the life of the seals

Cheers

Wheel Bearing & shocks life - bell boy
too many bits and buts really i can have 2 cars same year same mileage and they really can be chalk and cheese,even a fully stamped up book of lies is no defence until youve driven and checked them through.
I have changed many saxo struts/hubs due to worn out low mileage bearings (maybe these cars lived in a puddle ,i really dont know)
Wheel Bearing & shocks life - robcars
I find wheel bearings (rear especially) on smaller cars are more often than not required at lower mileages rather than higher mileages. But obviously depends on loads/driving style/road condition/brakes etc etc etc.

As for shock absorbers. Imo these are normally only ever changed cos of failure at mot time. If you have ever changed shocks all round at a set mileage (say 60k) even though they are well capable of passing the mot the ride quality is so much improved.

I know we all want economy whilst motoring but sometimes extending parts life can cause other expenses. Shock absorbers symptoms would include quicker wearing tyres, poorer handling, let alone comfort etc. Thats not even taking into account stopping distances (could save your life).

The mot test on shocks is a very poor test imo too. Does it bounce, does it leak is about all the test is. Doesnt matter if its worn as long as it meets its bounce/leak test.
Wheel Bearing & shocks life - Crinkly Dave
original wheel bearings and front shocks on my 309 at 186k and 405 at 231k

Lot to do with how they are driven,and road condition.
Wheel Bearing & shocks life - none
A few years ago I used to regularly service a Transit van. (6000 mile intervals I think). The driver was VERY heavy on the brakes, and I often used to have to replace pads and discs between services. Front wheel bearings were routinely replaced as the heat generated by braking burnt the bearing grease, and sometimes 'blued' the bearings.