VW Bora Heater - Servelan
Okay, I tried this in Technical with no response. Maybe one for Aprilla?
My wife has a VW Bora 1.9TDi, 90PS which is now used for mostly local runs after a life of longer runs with me. In the winter the heater has always taken a good few miles to get up to full heat (around 10 minutes). I have a newer Golf TDi which appears to have an immersion heater because there is some heat from the heater within a mile or so. Before I ask our local VW dealer does anyone know if it possible to retrofit an immersion heater to the Bora? If so what sort of cost would we be looking at? We have had the car from new and it has always been like this. Once up to heat there is no problem with heat output.

Many thanks,

Servelan, I read most days but post infrequently.
VW Bora Heater - Altea Ego
The item you are refering too is an auxilary heater as fitted to a number of VW diesel engined cars. It runs on diesel from the tank.

It is not per say a post fit option from VW.

You could however try kenlowe (who are by the way one of the two suppliers of the orginal fit auxilary heater).

Kenlowe make heaters and pre heaterr for fitting as an accessory

www.kenlowe.co.uk

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
VW Bora Heater - Xileno {P}
Kenlowe are great but you need a cable so if you don't have a drive then it's no good. The other problem is they are quite costly to run. But on a cold frosty morning they're brilliant.
VW Bora Heater - R40
Webasto make these diesel powered heaters for cars. Try webasto.co.uk
VW Bora Heater - Altea Ego
Webasto. That was the name - Sorry I had kenlowe on the brain

The orignal fit aux heater in mine is a webasto.

Mind you its not much cop, very smokey and smelly
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
VW Bora Heater - JohnM{P}
TVM - the Sharans and Tourans have a diesel powered aux. heater because there is such a volume to heat. (The smoke from this heater on a courtesy Touran frightened the life out of me when I stopped at the lights!).
However, as the o.p. says, my GolfV 105TDi has an electrical aux heater (probably of much lower output); air is noticeably no longer freezing within 100 metres from a very cold start, whereas the MKIV 110TDi would take a mile.
VW Bora Heater - Servelan
Thanks guys. My new Golf, a Mk IV Estate begins to throw out warm air very quickly as JohnM says. It does not have the auxiliary heater that TVM refers to. I just assumed there must be some form of heater to get warm air so quickly after start up, and I wondered if it, whatever it is, could be retro fitted to my wife's Bora.