90 or 110 HDi or 2.1TD? - glowplug
Hi all,

This is sort of a follow on question to my XM or Xantia question. Please let me know your thoughts on this, how do these engine compare in real life not just the manufacturers specs. I realise that these engines were/are also used in the 406 and so owners of these could perhaps answer this question also. I'm used to a 1.9TD in a 405 estate but I've heard some owners complain that the HDi 90 lacks the punch of the old XUD. Is this just a perception because there's less turbo lag or what? How does the 2.1 TD compare to a 110 HDi?

Thanks.

Steve.
90 or 110 HDi or 2.1TD? - MichaelR
The 90 HDi is not intercooled, the 110 HDi is.

Also note that the 2.1TD is physically a huge engine - it only just fits in the engine bay of the Xantia and this means that some previously easy jobs are quite a nightmare. 1.9TD is a better fit.
90 or 110 HDi or 2.1TD? - Bromptonaut
The 2.1 had a short production run so parts and experience can be hard to come by. HJ's car by car breakdown describes it as a nightmare to work on, at least in the 406. The HDi is also a tight fit in the Xantia. 90PS version is said to be smoother and quieter than the 110. IIRC Xantia 90 has a cable operated clutch like the XUD, rather than the potentially troublesome hydraulic units in the 110 (and 2.1)
Thanks for the info. It's looking like a HDi Xantia for the next motor, would like an Exclusive.

Steve.
90 or 110 HDi or 2.1TD? - DP
My brother in law had a 2.1 TD 406 and his local garage made a point of telling him what an utter swine anything other than routine servicing was on the thing due to the cramped installation.

The 110HDi is a cracking engine and would be my choice. You wouldn't believe what a difference that 20PS makes.
90 or 110 HDi or 2.1TD? - PhilW
"HDi Xantia for the next motor, would like an Exclusive"
great car - but difficult to find - one in our front drive but you ain't 'avin' it!!
--
Phil
90 or 110 HDi or 2.1TD? - RichardW
"great car - but difficult to find -"

Currently only 2 on Autotrader, both >100k miles and only one says it's a 110 (although I think the other was on e-bay and is also a 110).
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks for the opinions and info. I'm just waiting to see if my 405's wrote off following a rear end shunt.

Steve.