Toyota Previa - just out of warranty - Patrick_F
My Toyota Previa T3 is 2 yrs 8 months old and went in for a service this week at 62039 miles. I should have got it in a few weeks ago before it reached 60K (the limit of the warranty) but life was just too busy.

The car now needs a new water pump, rear shock and auxilliary drive belt for which Toyota are prepared to contribute parts at £100 plus vat instead of £182.72 plus vat, and for which I must pay the labour (which the dealer will do at warranty rate - £165 plus vat instead of £195 plus vat).

Obviously the lesson is - I should have got the service done inside the warranty period! But ... given that it's 2K over the warranty it's hard to see that these problems weren't present at 60K miles. Toyota customer relations are adamant that their offer is generous - I'm inclined to disagree. But maybe I'm being unfair - after all, there has to be a cut-off somewhere!

I'd be really interested in what others think.

Cheers, Patrick
Toyota Previa - just out of warranty - Xileno {P}
I think they are being quite generaous. Most warranties exclude wear and tear anyway, which the auxilliary drive belt and shock absorber arguably are.
Toyota Previa - just out of warranty - Aprilia
I consider drive belts to be 'service items' and generally would replace at 50k miles - even if they look OK.

Shock is arguably 'wear and tear' - although I would expect the pair to be replaced - not just one. Ask if they will do the pair if you pay extra for the part, its worth it.

Water pump is the 'unexpected' item here.

On balance, it looks a fair offer to me...
Toyota Previa - just out of warranty - Patrick_F
Thanks Xileno, Aprilia (my name makes me feel quite inadequate here!) that's really helpful - I'm sure you're right, especially as the belt and shock could really be argued as wear and tear.

I'm interested in the idea of replacing both shocks, which certainly seems to make sense - presumably even more so since we tow a caravan once a year and will be driving all the way down through France and into Spain in six weeks time?

Cheers, Patrick
Toyota Previa - just out of warranty - Galad
Shocks should be replaced in pairs and I'm surprised that your dealer hasn't recommended this. I agree that Toyota is being generous here, probably out of embarrassment as normally their cars are built to last and the water pump failure is perhaps the giveaway.
Toyota Previa - just out of warranty - blue_haddock
My recommendation is to find a different dealer - that hourly rate they are charging is scandalous. The toyota dealer i used to work for charged approx £70 per hour.
Toyota Previa - just out of warranty - DavidHM
He's just quoted the labour, not an hourly figure necessarily. (Agree that it would be a silly hourly rate but it's acceptable for three hours' work which these jobs sound like to me).