Toyota Corolla 1.6 strange noise -PS? - mikeinlondon
My corolla has made a strange whining noise when the steering was on full lock, which i took to be the power steering straining slightly and thought nothing of it. Today however, on parking the car i heard a loud POP... I presume I had driven over broken glass and had a puncture, but no, nor had i strained the tyres against the kerb and burst them. When I drove off there was a loud screeching like i had a stone caught in the brake pads, this continued and then stopped after a couple of miles. I took it to a tyre place who checked out the tyres and brakes and declared them perfect, so no fault there. He did mention that the Corollas had been noted to have steering problems however...

Strangely since then the car does NOT make the whining noise on full lock any more!

It seems to drive correctly but I am now worried as we are due to go to the south of France soon, and ideas????

Mike
after thinking - possibly the CV joints????

if so would this be covered under warranty??

Mike
Toyota Corolla 1.6 strange noise -PS? - Aprilia
Presumably whining was there when car was stationary and varied a bit as engine was revved (and possibly also as steering was tugged?). If so then it would be the PS pump. Most make a bit of noise under load and there is usally a pressure relief valve in the pump to limit the max pressure - so not to worry.
As to the 'pop' - well, the belt's not snapped has it? Is the steering effort normal (i.e. its not gone heavy)?
Presumably whining was there when car was stationary

Noise only occurred under full or nearly full lock eg when parking and was constant when audible. Was the pop the pressure relief valve operating? The steering feels fine and accurate and hasnt altered. the mechanic at the tyre place looked under the car and daid everything looked fine, though i dont know what he was looking for!

Mike