Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Danger Mouse
Can any of you folks suggest a good Jeep / 4 by 4 for under £10K
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Dave N
Ford Explorers are pretty low priced 2nd hand.
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - andy bairsto
I have a Explorer 99 circa and it does everthing you ask of it ,down side heavy on petrol,If you want a cheap but reliable 4x4 do not dismiss the SSang Yong or as it is now a Daewoo.stay away from freelanders or cr-vs they are only shopping cars ,a good vitara v6 is not a bad buy in the small breed.Rav 4 are again only shoppig cars with no offroad capability due to the suspension layout.And do not forget the daddy of them all the Landie.
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Dave N
I think you'll find the phrases: 'Cheap to run', '4X4', 'Long distances' and 'Able to tow' don't always sit together.
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - crazed
jimny is the car
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - KB
I've looked at a few recently, but you need to be more specific about exactly what you want it for. Presumably you mean a used one otherwise your choice is limited to the Suzuki Jimny as suggested by crazed above. These are available new and UK supplied,as we speak, for £7999 plus the road tax (and £200 for metallic).

There's the Mitsubishi Pinin in 3 and 5 door, which has a ladder chassis (as does the Jimny), if you want a bit if off-road ability, but is dearer than the Suzuki. Both are petrol only.

Also you don't say whether you prefer diesel or petrol or what size you want.

Daihatsu Fourtrack is very capable off-road. L/R Defender is of course another option.

Come back with more details and you'll get more replies.

Regards,

KB.
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Andy Bairsto
Correction the PININ does NOT have a ladder chassis it is nomal monoque construction making it a bit suspect of road but otherwise not bad
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Danger Mouse
Thanks for all the advise this afternoon.

I am looking for that ever is cheapest to run , either Diesel or Petrol. I wont be doing much off roading but will need to travel long distance now and again. It can be a 5 door but must be able to tow.

What do these things do to the gallon? I guess less my Astra!

Thanks again
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Andy Bairsto
No 4x4 is in the economic class,Depends what you want to tow,CR-V is max loaded1500kg,Freelander 2000kg,Defender 3500kg.Explorer 2500kg,Pinin 1600kg,
Jimny 600kg but if you do not want to go off road what do you want a hefty 4x4 and as faras consumptipn is concerned the 2.5 rover td is around 21mph the Explorer 14 and the light off roaders upto 30 or so
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - KB
Andy, Apologies. The brochure does indeed just refer to a "semi monocoque body with rigid cross members" Over optomistic there on my behalf.

I do gather though that they are a good bit better than most off road.

Danger mouse. Thanks for coming back but as said above, can you put a bit more flesh on the bones about needing a 4X4? If it's not for off road or for inhospitable weather areas I do wonder if you need to pay that much extra that comes with 4X4 ownership. However, as I've said before, if you just fancy one, plain and simple, then get one. Nothing wrong with that.

The new Rav4 diesel does 39mpg on the combined cycle, but may be a bit too new to qualify for under £10k.

Come back again, DM and say even more about your needs and I reckon you'll get a satisfactory answer.

Regards,

KB.
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - ian (cape town)
Dangermouse,
I don't know how things stand in UK right now, but the used 4x4 market is a very dodgy one here. There are a lot of 'workhorse' offroaders on forecourts which have led a very hard life, though they have a low mileage.
there are also a lot of vehicles which were bought as a supermarket tonka toy, never saw any mud (unless the verge was wet) and got offloaded when the owners realised that their petrol bill was getting silly, and that replacing tyres for the beasts is very expensive - and if you are running mud-runners on tar, replacement time happens very quickly!
Like anything in the used vehicle trade, get expert advice - even more so with off roaders!
Let us know how you get on.
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Kev
What about a 4x4 car? If you dont need it to go offroad, think about a Suburu Legacy or likewise? Dunno about towing with them, but they seem to be popular attached to a caravan.
If you HAVE to buy an off-roader, buy jap or it will cost a bigger fortune. What about one of those Pick up type Taliban using wagons? Sorry forgotten name, hopefully someone should post it.

Kev
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Sid
Toyota 4runner or hilux
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - James
No-one seems to have mentioned the Kia Sportage, which has better off-road ability than most. Until recently, the European versions were made in Germany, too.
Re: Any recommendations for good Jeeps/4 by 4's - Rob Govier
I drive a Vauxhall Monterey (rebadged Isuzu Trooper). Higer spec than Isuzu, less notes. Very cheap now. But can you live with a Vauxhall badge?

IMHO key issues in 4 x 4

1/ Impact suriviability. Why are people scared of flying? Driving is far more dangerous.

2/Deteriorating state of UK roads (see recent threads on damaged alloys)

3/ Tire costs not that bad if you shop around - i am paying c £55/corner fitted for a 50/50 road/trail tyre.

4/Fun. I occasionally bash around my brother-in-law's farm fields. A good place to learn vehicle control.

5/Towing. Nothing better to tow anything with, providing the hitch height is set properly.

6/Buy a diesel! I can get c.30+mpg from my 3.1TD. Mrs Govier gets considerably less, but does keep the injectors cleaned..

HTH

rg