3 Series Convertible - Simon Ridgers
Anyone out there live with a 3 Series Convertible as their main family car? Seems to me most are 2nd cars.

I'll be choosing my new company car soon and the lease rates on the 320i Convertible seem good value. However, my BMW dealer tried to talk me out of it saying that there wouldn't be enough room for 4 (kids will be 13 and 11 when it goes back) and our luggage. Can't seem to find a dealer with one in stock for a closer examination.

Just thought it was worth checking with you lot. For the record my wife has a Fiesta, so thats no good for longer trips.
Re: 3 Series Convertible - andy bairsto
You should have no problem room wise and the option hard top is agood investment
Re: 3 Series Convertible - neil
Simon - put it this way - anyone in the back is riding for free!

Daddy works hard, gets to choose car. Kiddiwinks get to choose THEIR car - when they've earned one!

N'est ce pas?
Re: 3 Series Convertible - ian (cape town)
Nice stuff - very popular here. The only problem being the wind-shield which looks a bit tacky (fits behind the front seats). This means the sprogs will get a bit 'blustered about' on a roof-free day!
Re: 3 Series Convertible - David Millar
Good advice from the others. I agree on thinking of the driver first. Realistically, how many times a year are you, wife and two kids about to become sulky teenagers going to be in the car all together? If you don't take package holidays, then hire an estate for a couple of weeks in the summer.

I suspect all the usual BMW virtues and vices apply to the planned purchase so go for it.

Incidentally, we mostly ran two door cars with two kids and never had any grumbles from them about cramming into coupe rear seats although they were sometimes a bit close for comfort.

David
Re: 3 Series Convertible - robin hall
We run an Astra convertible but I remember when I was looking the 3 series was similar in size but out of our price range, I believe most of the 4 seat convertibles are also similar. Although it's the wife's car she spends more of her time with various kids etc so it often has a full load. The 2 main points are that they are 4 seaters, there is no belt or seat for a 3rd person in the back however small and although the boot is usually the same as the saloon variant the hood folding mechanism often intrudes into it quite a lot. I'd definitely try one out for size with the family as they can be quite a bit smaller inside especially the rear. The big problem is you can't fit roof bars! Our's is an old Mk3 Astra - I tried out the new model and when I was comfortable in the front the seat was rubbing against the back seat. Having said all that you can't beat open top motoring, even in our climate!
Re: 3 Series Convertible - Red
Well I love the BMWs
We have had an 1989 E30 320i for 5 years
Ok so we dont have kids but on trips with friends (4 adults) there is enough room for the people and a good long weekend's luggage. And you could always put a boot rack on for that extra suitcase. I have even seen a boot fit ski rack on the continent!
For the moments you can press the button and drop the roof I'd recommend it thoroughly.
Only thing I would say is the 320 can be a little gutless, I wish I had gone for the 325i!!
The final thing is get a hard top if you can; makes it a nice quiet coupe for the winter.
Happy choosing!
RED
Re: 3 Series Convertible - Simon Ridgers
Thanks Guys.

Managing to track one down at a dealers and I was very suprised by the lack of rear space. Unfortunately my conscience means I wouldn't be able to stuff the kids into what will be a claustrophobic hole for 75% of the year. Damn.

Also unfortunately, they had an X5 on the forecourt so we thought we would have a look. Now I'm having to do the sums to see if I'll be able to afford the extra payments.
Re: 3 Series Convertible - Marcus
Simon,

Does this mean they want to sell it ? I would be VERY interested indeed

Please advise !!!